In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My two favorite veterans...

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Both of my Grandfathers were in the Navy....and that is why I went in when I did.

Erskin Ramsey Spradling....was stationed on the Aircraft Carrier U.S.S. Enterprise and was at Pearl Harbor. My "Poppie" was a Gunners Mate and was in the turret when the were hit....everyone around him died but because he was sitting where he was he survived. One thing I remember him saying was that it was hard to write to my Granny because he had a red pen and the lights were red. He was the sweetest man on the planet. He was short and smiled all of the time. I also remember my Mother trying to get me to get off of his lap because I was old enough that my feet touched the ground, but he said I was FINE so I stayed put.

Lawrence Ollie Dollar....was stationed on Johnson Island also during the war at the same time that Pearl Harbor was attacked. One of the things he did while he was there was help build a jail on Johnson Island and he was one of the first to stay in it for fighting. Grandaddy kind of terrified me when I was younger. He looked like "Mr. Clean" with his tiny waist and huge shoulders....bald, tan, and seriously "kick your butt" looks. He wore a watch that was on one of those wide as a belt leather straps. He was a very interresting man...and as I got older he was a lot less terrifying.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorites are the ones whom served and are serving to ensure I can grow up free. Thanks.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,858 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Thanks for sharing LF!
  • nomadictaonomadictao Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My old accountant and friend, Jay Sandman, was stationed on the battleship Arizona but got out of the Navy in November 1941, one month before she was attacked and sunk at Peal Harbor. The Navy called him back and he was a diver durring the war. He was simi-retired while working for me and we would chat and play Chess after discussing the books.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    me and who else?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    locust Fork.....For clarification was your grandfather on the Enterprise at the time of the attack? Reason I ask is that she wasn't in port at the time of the attack. Or did his turret get hit in a later battle? Beach
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Too many to name....My brother, who was a drove an M1A1, nicknamed "The Desert Fox" in the Gulf War, my Uncle Bob (who Mike and I have often encouraged to join the Gunbroker family), who served in Vietnam on the USS Newport News, my Dad, who served in Korea on the same USS Newport News, my great Uncle Leo, who served with the "Big Red One" and lost a leg on Omaha Beach on D-Day...

A special shout out to NCO Todd Mead, serving in either Afghanistan or Iraq, we aren't sure which, and his son. Todd re-upped to serve when his kid enlisted.

We love you, man. Come home safe.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were sent there after the attack. I have copies of three newspaper articles and if I can get the scanner to work I will post a copy of them. One has a picture of my Grandfather. It is odd to see your Grandparents so young.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com