In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Larry hates his Blackberry Storm

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,666 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Larry's phone is so complicated he can't use it! He is just complains and complains about that phone.... I think I am going to take it and give him mine for a while. Just to see if he likes it better.

I called Verizon the other day just to see what was going on with our bill. Turns out my son was LOOKING at ringtones.....not downloading them.....just LOOKING at what was available. That cost us $40!!!! All of the kids phones are locked so they aren't able to download tones, or do "premium texting" (whatever that is) but turns out that just LOOKING isn't preventable and costs me money.

I think that is a load of BULL. We are trying to get our monthly bills down to an amount that Larry alone can swing. I don't think that we could do without cell phones at this point.....but for what we pay in insurance on all these phones I could have a GYM MEMBERSHIP!!!
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had Alltel for a gang of years. They were recently bought by Verizon. You don't make it sound promising that I'll stay with them. I don't mind so much getting screwed without the kiss, but I just don't like being used.

I understand the good cell phone company doesn't exist. What's an acceptable company?
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Why can't a phone just be a phone?!?!? Not a camera, computer, music box, calculator, and whatever else?!?!!?[:(!][xx(][:(]
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Sounds like when I first got my I-Phone. I barely could call home on it. After a couple of months I can make it walk, talk, and chew gum at the same time.
  • hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Locust, have verizon turn the get it now connection off. They cant even look at that stuff if you get that connection blocked.
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya'll are just showin' yer age.

I have a Sprint HTC and download hacks for it.

Gotta stay 10 steps in front of my 3 teenagers.[;)]
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor
    Why can't a phone just be a phone?!?!? Not a camera, computer, music box, calculator, and whatever else?!?!!?[:(!][xx(][:(]

my phone is a business tool....i get cash grain mrkts emailed to me daily mrkt comments also emailed, I am able to conduct business via phone while i am out planting harvesting ect ect get futures mrkts anytime i need them am have been able to contract grain while out in the field work that i would have other wise missed a high point through out trading session wished i could get instant tick for the grain futures on it.

ps i use the calculator many times a day at time....when mixing spray solutions when spraying ect ect
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good God you coddle your kids! No wonder they are so spoiled!

Here is how to STOP paying for the insurance on the phones.

1. Make sure the kid's phones work 100%.

2. Tell them "If you lose it, or break it, THERE WILL NOT BE ANOTHER ONE"

3. Stick to #2. Period. If you stick to your guns on this, and not give in, your kids might LEARN to be RESPONSIBLE. If they aren't, tough *! No phone for them! My friend did this to his 12 year old.....she has had the same phone for over a year now, with no problems. She couldn't keep one for more than 3 months before. She'd either lose it, or damage it somehow.

I've had the same phone for TEN YEARS now. (Guy at Sprint was freaking out when he looked it up!) Still works. No reason you can't make stuff last, if you just take care of it.

Merc
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    Good God you coddle your kids! No wonder they are so spoiled!

Here is how to STOP paying for the insurance on the phones.

1. Make sure the kid's phones work 100%.

2. Tell them "If you lose it, or break it, THERE WILL NOT BE ANOTHER ONE"

3. Stick to #2. Period. If you stick to your guns on this, and not give in, your kids might LEARN to be RESPONSIBLE. If they aren't, tough *! No phone for them! My friend did this to his 12 year old.....she has had the same phone for over a year now, with no problems. She couldn't keep one for more than 3 months before. She'd either lose it, or damage it somehow.

I've had the same phone for TEN YEARS now. (Guy at Sprint was freaking out when he looked it up!) Still works. No reason you can't make stuff last, if you just take care of it.

Merc

+100
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess I coddled my girls to. When they were 16 I bought them their first car and handed them a cell phone so I could keep track of them. I did make them pay for insurance and gas though.
  • trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    The insurance is a rip.I had it on my first phone. It broke in the hinge where it folds. I paid $100 for the phone. Now the insurance has a deductible of $50[xx(]the phone i got was refurbished[xx(] and it was analog only[xx(][:(!] So when I get the new piece of crap they have only digital so my "new one" has half the reception.
    Ended up having to get a new phone and was out the $50 deductible and whatever I had paid for the insurance each month[:(!]
    They will not get that from this ol boy again
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Well I am younger than most folks here save Jacob, and I hate those phones that have all that crap. Most days I do not even take my phone with me.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Never understood the joy of a touch-screen phone/computer, etc.

I've got a BlackBerry Curve, does everything I need for business just jim-dandy.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I just have the basic boring same phone for 4 years, phone was free, $100 for 1000 minutes per year, rollover, simple.

I hate folks who live on a cellphone
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    PBJ: you mean you dont have one of those widgets that plugs into your ear so you can shop at wally world while talking hands free??? Those things get my goat,, some woman just jabbering away, with that damn thing in her ear that you cant see, and you wonder if she is talking to you or is just crazy and talking to themselves until they turn to where you see the widget jammed into their ear..[:0][:0]
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    PBJ: you mean you dont have one of those widgets that plugs into your ear so you can shop at wally world while talking hands free??? Those things get my goat,, some woman just jabbering away, with that damn thing in her ear that you cant see, and you wonder if she is talking to you or is just crazy and talking to themselves until they turn to where you see the widget jammed into their ear..[:0][:0]
    I'm rude to people who try to have a conversation with me and another conversation on the headset at the same time. I don't even try to be polite.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and kids keep upgrading and getting the latest greatest. I take the hand me downs and it stays in the truck all the time. I don't want people calling me. If I want to talk to you; I'll call you.

AT
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,637 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    #1. No, she's not talking to you. Why would she?
    #2. They're ALL crazy and talk to themselves.
    [:D]
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    quote:Why can't a phone just be a phone?!?!? Not a camera, computer, music box, calculator, and whatever else?!?!!?

I JUST WANNA MAKE A CALL. No texting, no web search,no fancy ringing, no photo's. I JUST WANNA MAKE A CALL.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    My wife tried to put a leash on me once.

I didn't like the fact that they...

1. Emit harmful radio waves next to my skull.

2. Can be tracked by anybody with a computer.

3. Can be opened up to produce a hot mic by anybody with a program.

4. Are completely toxic.

5. Allow my wife to bug the hell out of me when in range of a tower.

I threw mine in the toilet. Had a cell phone for about 1 month.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Love my I-Phone. I can phone someone, check the status on my next load of lumber, e-mail someone, respond to posts on GB, Listen to music, watch TV, take pictures of my jobs for future reference dang the list goes on and on. Heck with this phone I don't need a secretary.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate my Blackberry, too.

It's assigned to me from work. Electronic leash. 34 hrs a day, 11 days a week, 96 weeks a year.

Can't wait to be rid of it.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,666 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How is paying insurance for a phone "coddeling" my kids? I am the one that OWNS these gadgets and if something happens to them WHO ON EARTH expects an 11 yr old boy to be able to pay hundreds of dollars to replace anything? I got them phones so I could get in touch with them any time I want.....going home with friends after school....checking in if I'm not home....in case the teenager breaks down (or is in an auto accident.)

We used the policy TWICE for my 13 yr old in one year....because some peice of crap was stealing things at the school. (She ALSO hasn't got a JOB....since she is only 13.) Good thing I was covered!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com