In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

blood pressure meds

mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in General Discussion
I'm on HCTZ and the pressure is still too darn high. I was on Lisinopril (sp?) for a month and while that brought it down quite nicely, I had a constant, severe cough I could not shake. Even after I went off Lisinopril I had to take a course of prednisone to get rid of the cough.

I'm told my only other option (besides losing weight and exercising) is beta-blockers, but I'm told that takes the old lead out of the pencil.

Anybody have any luck with anything else?

Comments

• Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take Bystolic and have plenty of lead left in my pencil.[:D]
    Seriously,....that drug is known for virtually zero sides in the world of BBs.

My pressure runs 110/70, and pulse of 68 to 72 with no side effects.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    lisinopril takes a few weeks before it gets into your system, I would question if that was the source of your cough

I tried Metoprolol, its a beta blocker, no side effects here, went beck to lisinopril because it didn't work as well
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    quit eating and lose weight

you will save money,no more pills /bitching

and feel better[;)][;)]
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lisinopril is known to cause a high rate of coughing. BTDT.

I take 4 different meds to keep my BP down to a point that is still to high.

I have been dealing with high BP since I hit puberty, after many many Dr's and every test they can think of running they have no idea why my BP will spike sky high. Last time I was in the ER for the BP I was at 240/135. When it gets like that they use the terms stroke and die way to often.

Keep at it and do all you can to help get the BP under control, the results are slow and many people never see the damage until it is to late.

Good luck finding a med that works for you, Endural, Bystolic and two others I cant think of the names even though I have them in my hand ready to take. Oh I also take Lasix (water pill similar to HCTZ) to help get the BP down. So I guess I take 5 meds.

Even before I became over weight I had BP problems, Dr said it is just me.

I wont tell you the doses I take if you told your Dr he would report mine. [:)]

The list of meds I have tried is very long.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have zero issues with my BP. It maintains 117 over 72 all the time. Doctor said he wished all his patients my age, were like me. Now my diabetes are a different story[;)] My heart rate is also perfect and my lungs clear, which is a shock since I smoke so much. I did quit for 12 years though and that might have helped. Just had my physical last Wednesday. Oakie
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    I'm on Lisinopril do have sinus problems. and also on Metoprolol.
  • Options
    traprtrapr Member Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The HTCZ is not a blood pressure med on its own,it is really a diuretic to help with fluid retention.excess fluid in the sack around your heart can raise the pressure from your heart working so hard.
    talk to your doc about what is going on and what to look for,help your doctor help you.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pericardial effusion is rarely a cause of 'chronic' hypertension. Thiazide diuretics are generally used to remove excess water and salt from the blood which reduces pressure on the vessel walls in turn.

Diuretics used to be first line treatment for hypertension, but they don't work for everyone. I never could take them due to the risk of dehydration in my line of work.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH
    quit eating and lose weight

you will save money,no more pills /bitching

and feel better[;)][;)]

+1
    I wish I could too but hey I'm American and I luv to eat............
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lisinopril also made me cough as well as making me dizzy on sudden movements (i.e., quickly getting up from sitted or kneeling position). I was on Toprol for ~2 years and my PB was OK. My Doc just changed it to Losartan along with Metformin ER to deal with my pre-diabetes.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Catapres works but you feel like you have a mouth full of cotton all the time. Dry mouth something fierce.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take Antenenol. It works for me and no bad side effects.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lisinopril, Coreg, Plavix, Cozaar just a few that I take every day.
    For dry mouth and throat I chew gum or Biotene. It helps.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dry cough? transient vertigo? and Lisinopril?

DAMN! so THAT's it! I've been taking Lisinopril for years and never knew about those side effects. Looks like the Doc and I need to have a talk.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Cozaar (Losartan) Works Great for me, after I had Asthma attacks due to Cardizem side effects.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The doctors and pharmacists have their * covered. Every time you get an Rx filled you get an explanation of side effects. If you don't have a microscope powerful enough to read it ain't their problem.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Dry cough? transient vertigo? and Lisinopril?

DAMN! so THAT's it! I've been taking Lisinopril for years and never knew about those side effects. Looks like the Doc and I need to have a talk.

I took Covera for over 7 years before I was told not to eat fresh grapefruit, it has the ability to stop the heart. I was not happy at all. The Dr heard from me and so did everyone in the pharmacy.

Odd thing is Covera just reacts like that to fresh grapefruit, no other citrus.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's true. There's an enzyme particular to grapefruit (and not other citrus) that can have SERIOUS interactions with some meds. Do yourself a favor and run "your med" and grapefruit through your search engine. For example:

pravachol and grapefruit
    lisinopril and grapefruit

(lisinopril comes up clean, btw)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I had a strange episode once and went to the hospital.They set me uo for a stress test.
    I was all wired up and on the treadmill for 30 min.
    My heart rate never went above 90 so,The Doc accused me of being a marathon runner and kicked me out of his office.
    I never got a bill for it..