In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

cci subsonic problem?

kycaddy24kycaddy24 Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in General Discussion
I have a 10/22 and was shooting cci subsonic and the gun would not cycle,it would eject the first round, and get hung up on the second round, like bending the bullet at a upward angle from the case. Is it the gun or ammo probably? I had been shooting rem subsonic never had this problem, I got the cci for about half the price. Has anyone else had this problem with cci subs?

Comments

• Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    The first thing that pops into my head is that the subsonics lack the "pop" to cycle the action. A weaker spring might help.

I wouldn't personally use those in anything but a bolt action.
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO ammo problem and you should just go with what functions/shoots best. I'm assuming you keep the gun reasonably clean.
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    My Marlin won't cycle any sub-sonic round at all. I would bet that the ammo is fine, just not enough OOMPH to cycle the gun.
  • steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    Most boxes of subsonic .22 ammo state "will not cycle in semi auto firearms" on the side. It's mainly for use in bolt actions. Some of the subsonic ammo that I have fires at a decent high speed with only the primer as the propellant.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Straight BLOW-BACK "most all semi auto 22 Rimfire pistols and rifles unless they have a floating chamber like a Colt Service Ace or Remington 550 " develop recoil impulse from the relationship in bullet weigh and muzzle velocity. If you go sub sonic without increasing the weigh of the bullet you will not function a semi auto.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a point of clarification, actually MOST target .22 ammo is subsonic, since it goes less than 1100 fps.

CCI subsonic ammo actually clocks in at a full 1000 fps from a rifle. . making it ballistically similar to many other brands of ammo (that don't have the special "subsonic" label).

The point of CCI subsonic is that its a hollow point hunting ammo that is supposed to do less damage to meat than similar supersonic ammo.

Here are the numbers. Note that CCI subsonic travels at nearly exactly the same velocity as CCI Green tag, (the premium competition ammo):

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/subsonic_100507/index1.html

Now all that said, I agree with all of the earlier posts. Lots of semi-auto guns need high-velocity ammo to cycle the action, and they won't cycle "ordinary" ammo.

First, I'd try a good cleaning and lube. That might help loosen things up to the point where slightly less powerful ammo will cycle the action.

But if that doesn't work. . .try different ammo.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    I shoot suppressed 22 alot in various guns.
    And have tried just about alll the ammo outhere.

First sounds like the gun is gummed up a dirty.
    Disassible clean gun clean grime out, good cleaning all the way.
    Soak all of the gun & its parts totaly submereged in some good cleaning solvent for 24 hours.
    Clean it again, blow with air or use ex-wife, dry & relubricate with 3 in 1 oil.
    test function.
    I shot CCI Standards 900fps, anything under around 950-1100fps are all subsoic, depending on the air densinty.

Tried every kind of ammo, and I mean it all.

If your laws allow, buy a 22 muzzle mount suppressor. That way it will fit other guns.
    I live in a tract house in town. And can shot all day & no one will ever notice.

Well worth $300 for the suppressor & the $200 tax.
    Ask anyone who has one, its a blast.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    The first thing that pops into my head is that the subsonics lack the "pop" to cycle the action. A weaker spring might help.

I wouldn't personally use those in anything but a bolt action.

NUFF SAID. Plink PLINKED IT!