In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

where do you come down on this?

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited August 2006 in General Discussion
Lawyer Stabs Neighbor Believing He Molested 2-Year-Old Daughter

AP
Thursday, August 31, 2006
FAIRFIELD, Conn. - A lawyer in this quiet suburban community was charged with killing a 58-year-old neighbor he suspected had molested his 2-year-old daughter, prompting police to investigate whether the molestation actually occurred.

"We have no indication it's true or not true," Capt. Gary MacNamara said Wednesday, adding that authorities had not received a complaint about the neighbor before the killing.

Jonathon Edington, is accused of stabbing neighbor Barry James to death on Monday after his wife told him that James had inappropriate contact with the child.

"The daughter gave the mother information which was alarming and disturbing. The mom relayed it to her husband. That was the spark," said Edington's attorney, Michael Sherman.

Police said Edington, 29, climbed through James' bedroom window and stabbed him nearly a dozen times in the chest. James' 87-year-old mother discovered his body.

Police had gone to the neighborhood before, when Edington called to complain that he could see James through a window, police said. "Either he was partly clothed or revealed parts of his anatomy that were inappropriate," MacNamara said.

Edington, a graduate of Syracuse University and Fordham University Law School, has no criminal record, police said. James served two days in prison in May 2001 on a drunken driving charge, according to the state Department of Correction.

Pat Wysocki, a neighbor who has known the James family for 39 years, described Barry James as a "very nice fellow" who worked for a funeral home and said she found it hard to believe he would molest a child.

"But then again, you don't know," she said.

Comments

• slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    I have a scumball of a neighbor behind me that I would never leave my daughter alone with. I would do the same thing and doubt I would convict him (after hearing the facts) if I ended up on his jury.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A prime example of why we need stricter knife ban laws. Those things are just too dangerous.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Lawyer has perfect defense for temp. insanity. If he would have done it anyother way and got caught it could have been premeditated. but to stab him 12 times?
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A allegation of child molestation against murder?

Dad hangs.
  • Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    IMO, he's going to hang for this - despite an insanity defense - because he heard the allegation 2nd hand from his wife and never talked to his daughter or checked it out himself.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I met a prison gaurd, who was telling me about an inmate just like this guy....
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slow_Hand
    IMO, he's going to hang for this - despite an insanity defense - because he heard the allegation 2nd hand from his wife and never talked to his daughter or checked it out himself.

Agree with that.

I have a neighbor who is dateing the ex hubby of a friend of mine. They are divorced because he molested his own daughter. The wife never filed any charges ( which pisses me off) so there is nothing I can do to get him out of my neighborhood. The guy is also a Paramedic, which scares the crap out of me!
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    It's scary how many creeps are out there. Just from heresay I would not kill the guy. But I would definitely put the frear of God into him with a visit.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldeneagle76
    But I would definitely put the frear of God into him with a visit.

You're kidding yourself.

It's the same as when you went to pick up your date as a teenager and walked in to find her father cleaning his guns to scare you. This didn't stop you from doing whatever she'd let you do. It just made you more careful.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if it occured more often maybe child molesters would second guess their sick urges, i myself would have checked it out a bit more {never know if he did or not, this is the media ya know}, then killed him, and do my time knowing i did the right thing

quote:but to stab him 12 times?

yep in the real world no one falls over dead with 1 stab, they tend to fight a bit, this is why people get stabbed multiple times, and yes i grew up in a really bad neighborhood it happened frequently
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I caught the guy in the act i'd probably kill him and take my chances with the insanity defense. If i was told about it second hand, even through wife or child, I'd probably call the police, start a neighborhood campaign to get the guy out of the neighborhood etc.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    As for the "If it were me I'd..." statements, this is impossible to predict.

You like to think you'd react rationally, but you can't really say until you walk in and find that your 2 year old child has been molested and the guy is right there.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    As for the "If it were me I'd..." statements, this is impossible to predict.

You like to think you'd react rationally, but you can't really say until you walk in and find that your 2 year old child has been molested and the guy is right there.

Amen! You too might go temporarily insane!
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Don't know. The media reports are always perverted beyond any sembelance of reality.

However...if a daddy found out for sure some pervert was molesting his child...given the state of 'justice'[xx(] in this country..he would be fully justified in sticking a knife in said pervert 390 times, if that is what it took.

Were I sitting said jury...the only verdict I could bring is 'not guilty'...by reason of being a decent human being,and ridding the world of a bit of garbage.
  • Happy GuyHappy Guy Member Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a father truely loved his daughter he wouldnt make her live the rest of her life without him because he is in jail. This is just another case of a pyscho taking the law and morality into his own hands over a mere ALLEGATION. In the civilized world we have trials and allow the accused to answer to their charges. I hope this so called "father" spens the rest of his life in jail where he belongs.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Little story, then judge....
    I had come home from work one evening to find my ex sitting there with "a face" on, so I asked him what the deal was. So he told me this story.
    He had been home with our 2-year-old daughter, who had a case of intestinal flu, which gave her a horrible rash in her diaper area. He had been changing her diaper, and had cleansed her, and was putting the ointment on her raw, sore little bottom, when she said, "Stop Daddy, it hurts me..." He said that he looked up, and realized, being a beautiful spring day, that the doors and windows were all open, and had a neighbor come up to the screen door at that moment, and saw him and her, and heard her words, they would have thought the worse, and that just made him sick.
    I had to say that, had I not known better, I probably would have rushed to judgement as well.
    Now granted, he should have been shot for a good many other offenses, but one thing he is not is a molester.
    Try convincing a jury otherwise.
    edited November -1
    quote:In the civilized world we have trials and allow the accused to answer to their charges. I hope this so called "father" spens the rest of his life in jail where he belongs.
    Yes, indeed. I recognize this 'civilized world' people like you have made.
    You would put a daddy away for life...and the pervert would be back on the street in a couple years.

Sorta makes one wonder...where your values are.

Just for all you touchy-feely folks..(for the perverts amoung us, anyway)...There would need to be more evidence then 'he said' 'she said'...and we have cases every day with irefutable evidence.. the perp walks in a few years.
    edited November -1
    highball - you sir are an idiot :)
    edited November -1
    Well..from your position...I am an intellectual giant.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:If I caught the guy in the act i'd probably kill him and take my chances with the insanity defense

Hugh in that case it would be defense of your daughter and probably justifiable homocide. The response might be a little over the top, but none would probably convict your for it. Family would probably sue.

Doing it based on second hand allegation is murder.
    edited November -1
    for all of you people who think the death penalty is appropiate for molestation, how many of you have called, written or emailed your local congressman or senator and asked that they change the law ? would it make more sense to legislate than to have citizens out murdering people ? oh wait....sense isnt something you people have :)
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Happy Guy
    for all of you people who think the death penalty is appropiate for molestation, how many of you have called, written or emailed your local congressman or senator and asked that they change the law ? would it make more sense to legislate than to have citizens out murdering people ? oh wait....sense isnt something you people have :)

And you seemed like such a Happy guy. Don
  • Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1

Actually the death penalty would isolate child molesters from the general prison population, giving them years of appeals, safe and sound on death row.

However, a long prison sentence, served among the general population in some of the "friendlier" and more "intimate" prisons in the U.S. would make the child molester's sentence a truly memorable one.

I hear tell that inmates do not look kindly upon child molesters. A person can only imagine one of the ways the inmates would get their "daily exercise". The other way is probably by beating the child molester senseless.

Now, and in view of that, wouldn't a long prison sentence be more appropos?[:D]
    edited November -1
    Just for the "The System is Wonderful" guy..."Happy Guy"...huh...and his "call your Congressman" tommy rot...

I give as an example the swarms of barbarians invading America across all borders.
    About 80 % of decent Americans want it STOPPED...NOW. They call..they write...they e-mail...they tell the corrupt suits at townhall meeting to END IT.

Works real well, doesn't it ?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Just for the "The System is Wonderful" guy..."Happy Guy"...huh...and his "call your Congressman" tommy rot...

I give as an example the swarms of barbarians invading America across all borders.
    About 80 % of decent Americans want it STOPPED...NOW. They call..they write...they e-mail...they tell the corrupt suits at townhall meeting to END IT.

okay, time to go kill all of the border crossers too !!!
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Now your talkin!!! Don
    edited November -1
    "Border Crossers"....[:D]

Some people reveal how little their brain functions with just two little words....
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1

I KNEW that"HAPPY GAY" dude was gonna come-up with at least one good point before it was all over ...WAY TO GO GAY!! Great idea !!!
    Oops... I ment GUY...sorry.[:D]

Jeff