In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

pre 64 model 70 375 h&h bought on gunbroker

6sandman96sandman9 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
hello, i bought a pre 64 model 70 in 375 h&h on gunbroker (199925611), and the condition was said to be 97%. i got it today, and the metal is great, the stock has some minor flaws as described, and a major flaw not described. there is a 2 inch crack in the stock by the upper tang. my gunsmith said it could be repaired for about $40, however he didnt know how much this flaw affects the collector value. i paid $2700 for a collector grade pre 64 model 70 at 97%. i talked to the seller, who is willing to work with me on adjusting the price. how much would be fair to ask back, or should i just return it? thx, jeff.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Delta Elite 10MMDelta Elite 10MM Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would settle for nothing less then a full refund, no way did he miss the crack in that stock, seller is just a plain lier and tried to pull one over on you.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Did you buy it to put back and appreciate in value?? If so, I would return it, and expect a full refund. If you plan on shooting it alot, and hunting with it, I think it should be worth about half what you paid.
  • Options
    MrM1A1MrM1A1 Member Posts: 2,764 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Return it, and make the seller pay shipping. It degrades the value of your rifle by more than this guy will want to give you, so I'd return it. At least the seller is willing to work with you. Being reasonable goes a long way when it comes to fixing a mistake, especially like the one you describe. If you wish to keep it, fix it or whatever, I'd ask for 15%-20% refund, if not more, but it is doubtful you'll get it. Just my .02.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    6sandman96sandman9 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, i bought it to put in my safe and appriciate in value. i probably wont shoot it but a few times. the seller said he would refund $700 or i could return it
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Send it back.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    MrM1A1MrM1A1 Member Posts: 2,764 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 6sandman9
    yes, i bought it to put in my safe and appriciate in value. i probably wont shoot it but a few times. the seller said he would refund $700 or i could return it

So you bought it to appreciate in value, i would ship it back asap. It won't appreciate like the gun you thought you were buying, and will moe than likely continue to crack/split if you decide to shoot it. 375h&h is a stout cartridge, that little crack will grow with each trigger pull. You could get it "fixed", but the crack will still be there and it's value will reflect as such, and will more than likely just crack again down the line. Ship it back. Again, just my .02.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    SEND IT BACK!!! You p[aid "TOP DOLLAR" for what U expected to be a "97% gun".IT WAS NOT!!!
    Send it back and leave the info. on dude's feedback!!
    Once a CROOK always a CROOK!!