In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dove hunt

Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
Has anyone been out out dove hunting?How did you do?

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got back from 3 day hunt in Yuma. We wacked a bunch of doves. A dog running loose around the area came by (must have heard our shots) our location and started retrieving our birds for us. It was 115 degrees in the field.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hot but worth it.[:)]
  • o b juano b juan Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ariz allows dove hunting before the 1st of sept 3 days??

I thought feds set the beginning date as Sept 1st
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In NM you can shoot collared doves any time.
  • dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LL, not to hijack but, likely going to be in Wickenburg for several weeks in February.
    have some AZ hunting questions for you, shoot me a pm if you would.

BTTT, glad you had fun, our dove hunting usually lasts a week 10 days. Frosts come and doves head out.

Thanks,
    Mule
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear you had a good hunt!!! And the heat is not much better during the wee morning hours either.
    What's next?
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    How lucky is that? To have a dog just show up and go to retrieving birds?? UNREAL!!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by o b juan

ob....... There have been some changes in the Ariz Game laws in the last few years. "Eurasian Collard Doves" showed up about 7 or so years ago. We were hunting only that type of dove. Originally there was a limit and a season on these doves.

Since "Euros" as we call them are an invasive species, the game and fish dept has now declared there is no limit or season on these doves so they can be hunted all year as many as you want.

The dog showed up all three days we hunted and retrieved for us. She was a real sweetheart.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We don't have a season for Dove in NJ. You guys said they taste good. I guess like quail?????[:p][:p][:p] My dream is to go Pheasant hunting out west somewhere. I only went one time when they were plentiful here in NJ. I bet I haven't seen a wild or released pheasant in NJ in about 25 or 30 years. The fox and coyote have made them almost extinct here. I would love to go to Kansas or Nebraska. I have family in both those states, but have not talked to them in about 30 years.[:(] Distant cousins. Oakie
    edited November -1
    he dogs post
    In NM you can shoot collared doves any time.

He just said doves.

Here in Texas no closed season no limit on Eurasian, Collard, Ringneck
    they have bunch of names for that invasive species
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember coming home with a REAL black and blue shoulder area from the shoot. National average for doves is 1 in 9 shots[:0] Really used to sharpen one up for the duck season. Lot of fun[;)]
    edited November -1
    had 28 on a sun flower field in the RGV The (Eurasian,collard, ring neck,white wing &[8Ddove) field.

Most got their Whitewing limit
    but the guys who could shoot got 20-30 Eurasian also[:I]
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I killed a limit on opening day Saturday, and again Sunday. We haven't seen any ringnecks in the dove hole so far this season.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made a real lucky shot one day while dove hunting and it couldn't have happened at a better time. A friend I worked with was along with me on that day and he was a terrible shot. Where he was standing at looked like he was up to his arm pits in spent shells and only had one dove. He walked over to where I was at along a line of trees near the river and while he was standing there a dove flew over and I shot it and the dove fell right into the pile of doves that I had already shot that were lying on the ground beside me. I told him that's the way I shoot all of my doves so I don't have to walk out in the field and pick them up. He didn't say anything he just turned around and groaned and walked away. [:D]
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    quote:Originally posted by o b juan

ob....... There have been some changes in the Ariz Game laws in the last few years. "Eurasian Collard Doves" showed up about 7 or so years ago. We were hunting only that type of dove. Originally there was a limit and a season on these doves.

Since "Euros" as we call them are an invasive species, the game and fish dept has now declared there is no limit or season on these doves so they can be hunted all year as many as you want.

The dog showed up all three days we hunted and retrieved for us. She was a real sweetheart.

Did he run home or did he follow you home, have a hunting buddy[:D]
    edited November -1
    Smitty..... That's funny [:D]

I got one double (2 birds- 1 shot) witnessed by my two hunting buddies.

I fired 98 rounds of AA 1/8oz #7 ammo during the trip. Got 47 birds, but none of them landed in the pile of dead ones. [:(]
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    we're COVERED-UP with collard doves in SE Florida.
    Their the size of BIG Pigeons too. They still fly like acrobats and are tough to hit cleanly.Not sure about seasons but, their is a guy a few towns N of me that plants 40 acres of Millet every other year or so.His place id THICK with the collard doves and they taste,to me,WAY,WAY better than the Mourning doves..Their breast meat actually turns into almost WHITE meat when cooked.... Great for Dove & dumplins!!![:p][:p]