In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Baseball cards

marine22marine22 Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
Bobsi was asking about some old baseball cards of his that he wanted a value on.

I bought a Beckett guide. Found a 1954 Topps Yogi Berra card that was given to us by a family friend. Worth $300, just made my day.

Anybody have a card they want looked up?

EDIT!!!! Turned the page to find an actual value of $3,000. OH BOY!

BerraCard2.jpg

BerraCard1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody know a easy way to look up Baseball cards from the late 70's through early 90's. I bought a large box of books at an auction just to get one book,"autographed by Paul Bear Bryant". Its worth about 4x what I paid for the whole box. Anyway when I looked, there is about 4k new Baseball cards in binders in the bottom of the box. I know most are not worth anything but I am going to have to figure out if any are worth anything, dreading the time its going to take .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anybody know a little something about baseball cards? Like value, if they are rare, things like that?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone have kids that collect baseball cards? I have a bunch that I might be getting rid of.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have some old baseball cards I want to sell or trade for gun stuff. I hate Ebay and dont want to list them there. Can they be listed on GB?
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    There are all sorts of magazines you can pick up for not too much that can tell you about grading cards, their rarity, and how much they're worth.

Mind you, you probably won't get full stated price from any retailer since they're looking to make a profit off of any deal they make.

"Beckett" is probably your best bet for a reliable price guide. They also have a website.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  • Options
    Jimmy BossJimmy Boss Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What ya got marine? Becketts is the best place to find prices and market value on cards.

I collect Chipper Jones cards and have a bunch of graded cards and 2 1 of 1 cards. About 400 in all of just him. About 2,500 cards in all. I only buy and trade in RARE and hard to find cards.

JBoss...If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier!!!!!!!

M16.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've gotten a Beckett pricing book and it's not listed in there. I have also spoken to a few people to collect old baseball cards and they have never heard of them. What I have is a black and white "TEST RUN" of the Bill Ripken error card. The one where it has "F*** Face" written on the end of the bat. Thanks for your help though.

Bobbette Wilkerson
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WOW! If you have one of them cards they will you a VERY shiney penny!!!!!

I have not even seen one before but I have heard of them. WOW!!!!

If ya want to have some fun, but it on E-bay with a VERY high[:D][:D] reserve and watch the bidding war LOL!!!!!!!!!!![:D][:D]

JBoss...If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier!!!!!!!

M16.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey JBoss, besides e-bay, do you know of anyone I can get in touch with to find out approximately how much this card may be worth?

Bobbette Wilkerson
  • Options
    edited November -1
    try this.

http://toyscollectibles.allinfo-about.com/subjects/baseballpriceguide.html

There links to most of the major players here. Good luck

M16.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks JBoss! Keep your fingers crossed!!

Bobbette Wilkerson
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=1989_fleer_bill_ripken_collector

ask this guy, seems its all he collects [:D] hes got a list of all the variations, damn I thought there were only 3. Ive got the f-face unedited version.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going through some stuff in my attic the other day and i found some things that are not really baseball cards, they have no info on back, but they have 5x7 inch individual black and white photos(head shots) of the entire Boston Red Sox team, about 1968.

All the photos are printed on lightweight paper and are packaged in an envelope with clear plastic window. Front of envelope says Boston Red Sox and names of all the players. I think this is team is from late 60s with Yaz, Petrocelli Sparky Lyle etc.

I think these were the type of photo bought at ballpark for autographs. Anybody know anything aboutem? are they collectible?
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im a baseball card dealer slowly fading out of business. I generally can tell you just about anything you need to know about values.

Buy a Livestrong Band today and support cancer research !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey MFI, how much would a card like the one I have worth?

Bobbette Wilkerson
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im not sure what a test run means. Is this a promo card or does it say promo on it ? Most of ther promos actually look like the real card . If this is black an white Im thinking you got a counterfeit card sold to unknowing folks at flea markets and so on.

• Options
    Young Ns GirlYoung Ns Girl Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of questions, I no longer have any baseball cards, but my daughter just won the entire NFL roster from 1988, they are Tops cards and appear to be in pretty good condition. Do you think they might be worth anything? She is 5 and wants to see them, but I don't want her to ruin cards that may be worth something. I also have an older John Elway hologram card that I couldn't find listed in the Beckett when I bought it, any ideas about it's worth?

The biggest room in the
    world is the room for improvement.
    - unknown
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    Test Run version --This is a black and white "FF" version with the words, "test run" and a date stamped on the back. Rumors have it that these cards were given away at certain conventions. Some rumors also say these are fake and or fakes are out there in the market.

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=bill_ripken_error_master

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
    - Max Lerner
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Very interesting...maybe I should dig out my old ones, and take a second look.

Ben

President: Loyal Order of Teletubbies
    elefuns5038.gif
    Distinguished Kuwaiti Observer
    un_medal_ikom.jpg
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Very interesting...maybe I should dig out my old ones, and take a second look.

Ben

President: Loyal Order of Teletubbies
    elefuns5038.gif
    Distinguished Kuwaiti Observer
    un_medal_ikom.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont have a Beckett Football book here now but the 1988 Topps football set really wasnt worth much. If it is sealed in cellophane it will be worth more but I doubt the 88's go for more than $15-20 for the entire set. Unsealed then worth less money .. Id let her open them and have some fun..

• Options
    Young Ns GirlYoung Ns Girl Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MFI, thanks

The biggest room in the
    world is the room for improvement.
    - unknown
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have about 300# of baseball cards autographs ...individual, packs, boxes and cases collected over the years...Becketts is the best place to check...In the meantime..put the card in a "Hard" case! You will be surprised at how the value goes down with minimal handling. Our oldest cards are "Tobacco" cards that came with cigarettes in the early 1900's. But not a "Honus Wagner" in the bunch...$!#@%%#! The neatest is a full box of 1971 TOPS with the bubble gum..! (I saw newer boxes on FleaBay going for #2,000+
    ***hughbetcha....What would ya take for the old B&W's?

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
    - Ronald Reagan
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Grunt Im interested in the 1971's Im working on a set .. Do you have unopened packs, a set or just a bunch of loose cards.

• Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    collected cards till mid 90,s at one time that was a big deal,there is a card with # face, another scribbled with a factory scratch over bottom of bat and corrected version.both errors are about 5.00 to 7.00 a piece. at one time the #face one was 3 digit figures,this was at the hobby peak in early 90,s.starting in mid 95 i started diecast collecting basically earnhardt cars,we know how that ended.
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know its not baseball, but I do have vlade divac's (sp?) rookie basketball card. How much do you think its worth.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lost over $250,000.00 worth of cards and about $100,000.00 in comic books in 1995. We had a flood and there was 4 feet of water in my basement...ALL LOST[V][V][V][V][V][V] Insurance didn't pay because of sewer back up not considered flood.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA BENEFACTOR-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MFI.....it's a full box of sealed cards W/gum/ unsorted. Sorry....but not for sale!What kind of sets are you collecting?

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
    - Ronald Reagan
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Divac's rookie is about .50 to 1.00 sorry man.

• Options
    edited November -1
    At a show, on average, how much would a: 1958, Hank Aaron, Milwau Braves, with yellow letters, in mint condition go for?

Bobbette Wilkerson