In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

feral hog numbers in Texas

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
I read an article this morning on Texas' feral hog problem that had some eye opening facts.

A Texas A&M survey says we currently have a mean population of 2.6 million wild pigs, with an annual growth rate of 18-20%. What this means is that their numbers can double every 5 years. That's a serious issue when you consider that their current population is responsible for $52M in agricultural damage and an estimated 10,000 vehicle accidents per year.

As hard as people try, on average only 24% of an area's pig population is removed by hunters. The problem is that when you crunch the numbers on their birth/mortality rate it requires a 60-70% removal rate to keep their numbers stable.

Trapping is included in these 'hunting' stats. To give you an idea of how many hogs are being taken in these parts the state says 100,000 hogs per year are currently being trapped and sold to processors each year.

Scientists are trying to develop some form of poison to help control their numbers, but have so far been unable to come up with one that's species specific.

Y'all need to come help kill off some pigs. [:D]

Comments

• fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    "Y'all need to come help kill off some pigs."

I did a little research on that about a year ago...
    Most all the farmers over there in Tx. want to charge $$ to hunt them.I think i'd be offering a BOUNTY on them!!
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    We ain't farm'rs pilgram ... we'r ranncchhheerrrss. Get it ryte o we'll smoke ya!![;)]

[:)]
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41

Most all the farmers over there in Tx. want to charge $$ to hunt them.I think i'd be offering a BOUNTY on them!!
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Most all the farmers over there in Tx. want to charge $$ to hunt them.I think i'd be offering a BOUNTY on them!!The problem is that you're a foreigner.

Same as anywhere you need to hook up with a native those local landowners trust not to mistake their cattle for wild hogs.

No, I don't have any hogs on my place....yet.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,253 ******
    edited November -1
    sounds like y'all need some wolves[:p]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd gladly trade some whitetail bowhunting on my place for some pig hunting in texas. We have hogs around here, someplaces a lot of them. Just not on our place yet. I want to shoot a pig or twenty
    shamelessly begging I am
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    Saw on TV this AM that if they are tearing up the land you do not need a hunting lisence to kill them.[:)]
    If I remember correctly, that's only if you own the land.
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most guys want to charge you to come kill them...it's not as bad as deer hunting but it's getting there. I've seen some charge as high as $250 a hog. I'd love to go shoot some but I'm not paying to do it. I'll bring beer and steaks though.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Nothing will mess with a pack of wild hogs, including wolves.

Once they get past a few months old their only threats are disease and humans. That's why allowing them to become established is such a huge issue.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Nothing will mess with a pack of wild hogs, including wolves.

Once they get past a few months old their only threats are disease and humans. That's why allowing them to become established is such a huge issue.
    while I find that hard to believe, I'll have to take your word on it.

I do know that if it were my property being endangered I'd be gut shooting every one I saw. Staying up late if necessary to do it.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Leeroy JenkinsLeeroy Jenkins Member Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

All the farmers and ranchers in my area have open invitations to their friends to come hunt them anytime. Big problem down here.
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Justjump
    I'd gladly trade some whitetail bowhunting on my place for some pig hunting in texas. We have hogs around here, someplaces a lot of them. Just not on our place yet. I want to shoot a pig or twenty
    shamelessly begging I am

I sound like a box of rice krispies drawing a bow anymore.

The cows are on now but I will move them and start feeding deer/hogs/turkey in October.

Where abouts do you live?

North west Arkansas between fayettville and Fort Smith.
    I might let "you" kill one with a rifle, Its all negotiable...
    I just got 2 feedplots tilled and planted for summer (Hi Protien clovers) will replant in sept for winter forage.
  • likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We shot a ton of them around Live Oak and Three Rivers, then the land owner found out they could get more money outta corporate hunts and leases and refused to allow my BIL to renew his lease unless he could pony up the same amount of money. Its a money thing
    edited November -1
    I do know that if it were my property being endangered I'd be gut shooting every one I saw. Staying up late if necessary to do it.
    Oh, they do.

Unlike most other animals it's considered acceptable to shoot them and leave them lie. I even know of landowners using explosives.
    edited November -1
    Oh, they do.

Unlike most other animals it's considered acceptable to shoot them and leave them lie. I even know of landowners using explosives.
    Since they can carry many diseases, maybe that isn't the best thing to do.[:I]
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    I know of a guy off another forum who shoots a ton of them in peanut fields up in the panhandle area. I mean a TON of them. He'll go shoot 20-30 a week consistently. Shot some REAL big ones too. He uses a AR10 with a nightvision set up.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem is that the landowners want an arm and leg to hunt these pigs. I've tried to hunt texas. My brother lives there and I fly free. The land is mostly private and they want over a grand to hunt most places. If they want me to help with there problem they need to make it CHEAPER or they can live in their own greed.[:0][V]
  • likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Exactly pistollero1050, my BIL leased those pieces that the landowner couldn't give away, worked it into a great lease, comfortable surroundings, etc. Took him a few years of hard work, lots of week ends, and my BILs dollars for feeders, cuttin senderros, keepin tanks accessable clear cuttin for living quarter space and the like. Then the landowner highballed it out from under him.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by likemhot
    Exactly pistollero1050, my BIL leased those pieces that the landowner couldn't give away, worked it into a great lease, comfortable surroundings, etc. Took him a few years of hard work, lots of week ends, and my BILs dollars for feeders, cuttin senderros, keepin tanks accessable clear cuttin for living quarter space and the like. Then the landowner highballed it out from under him.

Your BIL should bill him for all the work..
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by likemhot
    That's a real pizzer. Bet your BIL was beyond steamed.

I'm not farming nor ranching ... but am sure that if I were ... some of my best buddies would be some dependable and steady hog hunting folks. It'd be a good two-way street sorta thing.

From everything that I've heard and read ... if there is not strong pressure on them, they can take over a place pretty quick. And if there are many hogs ... there can't be many good deer there also. The deer would need the hogs well thinned.
    edited November -1
    It's been awhile since this has been posted here, but shooting hogs from a helicopter is always a hoot to watch.

This is out north of Abilene.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,223 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love to hunt,and eat, wild hogs!

I have a scoped Savage muzzleloader that is just the thing! Shoots smokeless powder, at 3,200 foot pounds it will do the job!

I am ready to do my part for the Farmers of Texas.

Matter of fact, I will be entering Texas in 18 minutes, sorry, did not bring the rifle this time.
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was posteed on youtube a few years ago, but I wouldn't have wanted to be the cameraman if the hogs were...... agitated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urY33QxtDWQ

That's a LOT of hogs.
  • DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard on the radio a few days ago that 60+ feral hogs have been trapped in Irving so far this year, a lot of them in residential areas. For folks unfamiliar, Irving is a very close-in, densley populated suburb of Dallas, just across the Trinity.
  • oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the article mentioned above also says that pigs, being non game animals, belong to the landowner, so it is their problem, not the state's.

If pigs aren't really hungry, and they have been hunted before, they get real, real smart.

Currently it is legal to shoot hogs from a plane or helicopter, but illegal to charge someone to take them hunting from the air.

If the state changes this regulation, we might make a dent in the hog population.
  • LagoLago Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Central Texas and own some family property in South Texas, where we have a problem with feral hogs. My dad used to trap them when he wss alive and it made for some good BBQ.

The last time I looked at the Texas Parks & Wildlife regs, it was legal to shoot feral hogs(excluding javalinas) any time you wanted to and license was not required.

I just got a semi-auto .223 and thinking about a night sight. If so, the BBQ pit will be busy, especially for the small ones.
    Lago
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldrider
    Currently it is legal to shoot hogs from a plane or helicopterUnless something's changed recently, in Texas you must have a state issued permit to shoot animals from the air.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lago
    The last time I looked at the Texas Parks & Wildlife regs, it was legal to shoot feral hogs(excluding javalinas) any time you wanted to and license was not required.They aren't considered to be a game animal by state laws, so yes you can take them year 'round at any time and there are no bag limits.

However, if not on your own property you need to have a basic hunting lioense and proof of permission from the landowner in your possession.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are gonna do our part to thin the herd in a couple of weeks, have never paid to hunt them and never will. I feel for you guys that have to pay to hunt them nasty bassturds.
  • oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The way I understand it, (and my son went on one of these hunts as a journalist) the owner (or pilot?) of the aircraft must have the license, plus permission for every area hunted, plus fill out a lot of forms. The shooter has to have a valid Texas hunting license.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DarkStar11
    I heard on the radio a few days ago that 60+ feral hogs have been trapped in Irving so far this year, a lot of them in residential areas. For folks unfamiliar, Irving is a very close-in, densley populated suburb of Dallas, just across the Trinity.

Yeah the Trinity River Bottoms are full of em, heck they pulled a big gator out of the bottoms over around Euless a couple of yrs ago. All kinds of stuff down there. More than few dead bodies I'm sure as well.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ox190
    More than few dead bodies I'm sure as well.Not for long if that bottom is full of hogs.
    edited November -1
    More than few dead bodies I'm sure as well.Not for long if that bottom is full of hogs.

True, they've probably been fed well.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Texas is only gonna put a dent in the population if they do the following:

1) Let resident, and non-resident alike hunt them with anything, NO CHARGE!!!

2) Pay a bounty for everyone taken.

Now I know the second item is stretching it a bit. But the first I believe is doable.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I'll make this offer, I will hunt anywhere any time for anything. Just send me an e-mail. My brother lives in Wichita falls and I can probly get anywhere else in the state in no time flat if'n its free huntin. P.S. I won't shoot your cows,horses or dogs either.[:D][8D][:0]
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most guys want to charge you to come kill them...it's not as bad as deer hunting but it's getting there.

I believe that's due, in large part, to reckless and/or thoughtless hunters. It only takes one or two bad experiences to sour the property owner. Using their house/barn as a backstop, driving an ATV through the field or leaving trash on the property is surefire way to ruin it for everyone else. As with all things, a relationship built on respect is key. Of course, there are some enterprising individuals who realize some people will pay good money to hunt a nuisance animal but that only means they haven't been greatly inconvenienced by it... yet.
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Justjump
    shamelessly begging I am

I sound like a box of rice krispies drawing a bow anymore.

The cows are on now but I will move them and start feeding deer/hogs/turkey in October.

Where abouts do you live?

6-1-08210.jpg

I like that winch/hoist you're using. Is it your own creation or is it standard equipment for hog hunters?
  • swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    met one of my cousins over christmas last year, apparently he goes hog hunting all the time on his land. wish i'd got to stay for more than a couple hours :(
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesupermonkey
    Most guys want to charge you to come kill them...it's not as bad as deer hunting but it's getting there.

I believe that's due, in large part, to reckless and/or thoughtless hunters. It only takes one or two bad experiences to sour the property owner. Using their house/barn as a backstop, driving an ATV through the field or leaving trash on the property is surefire way to ruin it for everyone else. As with all things, a relationship built on respect is key. Of course, there are some enterprising individuals who realize some people will pay good money to hunt a nuisance animal but that only means they haven't been greatly inconvenienced by it... yet.

Most likely, its a shame a few have to ruin it for those of us who treat others property better than we'd treat our own. It's their land they can do what they want with it.