In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shooting Ranges

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
anyone here from north/south dakota. I live in around forman, north dakota and i'm having problems finding a place to shoot. anyone know of any good ranges or even crappy ranges around here. the way it is now i usually pack up a few guns when i go back to watertown, south dakota to visit family and hit the range there. that only happens about once a month if that. i use to go shooting once a week at least. my son is getting around the age (4 years old) that i would like to start taking him shooting one in a while but with the amount of work i kinda need a place alittle closer.

Comments

• pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    Not up to date.
    We have a new one in my area called loose cannon.
    25-500yd range i think i was told, gunshop on site also.

I plan on trying it out soon as my current range is beyond annoying.

Must wait 2 seconds between shots, i didn't know everyone involved in a defensive shooting did that!!!!! <
    forgot green text
    And they will not leave anyone alone to shoot. Set your empty no mag slide locked back pistol in its case and 10 minutes later they ask you not to set it in the case cause Joe blow did that eleventy years ago and it caught his case on fire....blah blah.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legear
    Not up to date.
    We have a new one in my area called loose cannon.
    25-500yd range i think i was told, gunshop on site also.

I plan on trying it out soon as my current range is beyond annoying.

Must wait 2 seconds between shots, i didn't know everyone involved in a defensive shooting did that!!!!! <
    forgot green text
    And they will not leave anyone alone to shoot. Set your empty no mag slide locked back pistol in its case and 10 minutes later they ask you not to set it in the case cause Joe blow did that eleventy years ago and it caught his case on fire....blah blah.

Two seconds between shots!?!? I'm usually into my second mag in two seconds! (Well, almost anyway.)[;)]
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Best FREE shooting facility within an hour of Phoenix, AZ:

Casa Grande Mountain Park
    Elzy Pearson shooting range, open 7:00 am to dusk
    Map links:
    http://www.casagrandeaz.gov/rec/parks/map/
    http://goo.gl/maps/uN7sj

Free admission, no fees. There no Range Officers, the range is unsupervised so everybody plays nice. Five berm'ed ranges have maximum distances of 25 yards, 25 yards, 75 / 80 yards, 297 yards. Has shade and concrete shooting benches but no seating. Strictly bring your own chairs. Bring your own self-standing target frames.

For a target holder I use a big box and masking tape. Unfold the box, some quick strips of tape, slap a target on it.

Have seen folks shooting gongs, steel silhouettes. Seen calibers being fired from rimfire up to .50BMG.

There is room at the 297 yard to bring your own folding table and chair and setup next to the covered shooting benches, in case they fill up.

Only other "amenity" is a port-a-potty.

To the north is a Police shooting range and a Trap & Skeet Club shooting range.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    There are some nice state ranges in Louisiana. The one I go to has 100yd rifle, 50yd pistol, archery, automated skeet/trap, and skeet w/ spring loaded throwers. The rifle range is covered and is complete with chairs and concrete benches, also there are target stands that can be moved from 25-100yds. Pistol range is covered, seating provided, and also has moveable target stands. Archery range has animal targets, and different shooting positions including elevated platforms. Auto skeet range has two towers, and a pit w/ trap thrower.

I wish the rifle range was longer, but I can't complain, its all free to use.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    It does not show the new NASA range in Colbert county. We have 29 acres of land on top of a mountain. It is a private range. We have pistol and rifle ranges out to 200 yds. Membership is $200 a year. We have 3 gun, IDPA, 22 benchrest, and various 22 rimfire matches including CMP. The matches are open to non-members.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine goes to 1000 yards; $50/$55 for a family per year. Just a 10 minutes drive from away.

http://www.gfssc.org/pagesmith/4
    edited November -1