In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What size pick-up truck

lig66lig66 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
edited December 2013 in General Discussion
Mini size PU's are no longer made in the US. The Ford Ranger was the last.
What size do you prefer and why?

Comments

• Options
    utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon will be available in 2015 and made in Missouri, Thailand, and Brazil.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    My kids outgrew the jump seats in my 1991 extended cab Chevy S-10, so in 2000, I bought a new extended cab Silverado. I still drive it, though my kids are grown.

I have gotten such good service, and good fuel mileage, out of my Chevrolets, that I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. If nothing happens to change my mind, my next truck will be a 1/2 ton crew cab by GMC or Chevrolet.
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I currently drive a F150 Super Crew. Decent MPGs with the 5.0.however I just don't use the truck as a truck anymore. It has good room inside and is comfortable.

I wish they would either bring back the Ranger or do the F-100 as a midsize version.

I am actually looking at getting out of the truck and into an SUV (4Runner or the like) since I drive a lot with my job and back and forth to see my wife.
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Owned and drove them all in 60 years of driving.

Currently have a Chev Silverado, 237,000 + miles. only problem replaced rr brake caliper, tires, normal stuff. Still running fine.

Ford ranger has a manuf defect. The rubber vents in rear of trans tend to dry out and leak fluid resulting in a meltdown of trans. Be sure to install new rubber vent plugs in a Ranger otherwise trans might soon require replacement.

For a small truck would buy a Nissan or yota. Large Fords are fine if you are a mechanic and have a standby vehicle. Dodge and large yota are also great. Dodge has a problem with Trans, otherwise great.

Just my .02

Now for the flack.
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like nunn, I had an S10 with jump seats. My two boys thought the back seats were really cool. But another child made that truck worthless. And it had more than a few mechanical issues after 100K miles.
    So I traded up to an extended cab ? ton Silverado. It was a three door. Good truck. Had all the usual Chevy problems right on schedule. But it was a good truck. I'd still be driving it but it was recently totaled. Enough room for five and decent gas mileage. Had a 5.3 V8. Had a short bed but was about right for everything I haul.
    I replaced it with an F150 Super Crew. The four doors are really convenient. No more opening the front door to open the back door!
    Fuel mileage with the 5.4 Triton isn't as good as the Silverado. Also a short bed.
    When the kids are gone, I'll probably go back to an extended cab. I doubt if I'll go back to a small truck. I just like the space and safety of a bigger truck.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nissan Frontier made in Tennessee.
    Best vehicle ever made.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    F-350 with 460 V8, 17x10" rims with 37" Krawlers. It gets 10-11mpg, but I only use it when a truck is needed or I'm going into uncharted territory, neither of which can be accomplished by one of those pretend trucks.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the higher the price of gas got the bigger the pickups got
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I agree with Allen Griggs. All the "full" size have a console 3 foot wide . We have a lot of very crooked old stage coach road beds through the Foot hills. I would rather drive our Rollback truck then one of any of the American branded FULL SIZE pick up on these kinds of roads
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    the higher the price of gas got the bigger the pickups got

size makes no difference in mileage, the full size trucks get better gas mileage than my Tacoma.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    What size? F250 or a 2500

Because they come with a diesel engine.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tacoma usually gets 21 ..one trip to lake calm, cool ,run 70+ got 24
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As UT said, mid size will be available again from GM in '15 (probably next simmer). I expect Ford to do the same, perhaps as a F-100 as was mentioned. I hope to replace my last (and first new truck - '07 1500 Silverado ext. cab) this spring with the same. The ext. cab now has 4 doors, I don't haul 1000# of construction materials - so I'm happy w/ a 1/2 ton, my '07 got a strong 20mpg and that's been improved, and I just like the ride & comfort of a full size.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get a diesel in a 1/2 ton Dodge Ram
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were to get rid of my expedition EL for a pickup it would be a full size 4 door 4x4.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really like my 04 Dakota. It is more of a mid size truck. Problem is I think they quit making them. Good news is that mine only has around 60000 miles on it and since I will be 69 in a week it may well outlast me.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Nissan Frontier made in Tennessee.
    Best vehicle ever made.

I agree 100%, I love my '04 Frontier![:D]
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1986 Nissan Hardbody XE. Bulletproof 2.4l 4-cylinder engine, good mileage, and a lower low-range gearing than I'll probably ever need.

o69p.jpg
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    aliasalias Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know where they're made now, but my '06 Tacoma was made in Fremont, CA by UAW members. It gets about 21 mpg commuting 90 miles a day. With 195,000+ on it, the catalytic converter has died. That's going to set me back a bit, but that is the first problem this truck has had. Admittedly, the heaviest load I've hauled with it was about 1500 lbs of roofing.
    My '97 F350 crew cab dually powerstroke can get around 15-16 mpg if I drive the speed limit. Last week I had 5340 lbs of river rock on that truck, and got right at 12 mpg coming up into the foothills. That truck has 200K and still going strong. Not exactly an economy model, though.
    A guy I work with has a Dakota, not sure what year, early 2000's. Less than 80k and he's had transmission problems and oil leaks for years.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by alias
    I don't know where they're made now, but my '06 Tacoma was made in Fremont, CA by UAW members.

I believe they are made/assembled in San Antonio, TX now but some are also assembled in Mexico.

ADDED:http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/content/db/b-db-autos.shtml
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FEENIX
    quote:Originally posted by alias
    I don't know where they're made now, but my '06 Tacoma was made in Fremont, CA by UAW members.

I believe they are made/assembled in San Antonio, TX now but some are also assembled in Mexico.

ADDED:http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/content/db/b-db-autos.shtml

My '13 Tacoma was assembled in San Antonio/MTX, according to what I read it is not a UAW represented plant. The NUMMI facility in CA was apparently UAW, but they closed that after GM bailed.
  • Options
    lig66lig66 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic
    1986 Nissan Hardbody XE. Bulletproof 2.4l 4-cylinder engine, good mileage, and a lower low-range gearing than I'll probably ever need.

o69p.jpg

Had a 1987 Hard body Nissan. Great little truck. Head gasket went out a year ago. If you have one, then be sure and keep your head bolts torqued down to proper specs. This'll help eliminate this HG blowing out.

Got a big Ram 2500 now. TOO BIG. Can't get into the back without a chair or step stool. Will trade it for something smaller if I can find one.

Thanks for all your replies.
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    I have downsized from an F350 four door long bed to an F250 ext. cab long bed.

Reason= the F250 ext. cab is lighter which increases tow capacity and the F250 has a much nicer ride with the same rated tow capacity as an F350.

I still keep the F350 just in case.[;)]

For the wife it is an Excursion w/ diesel, I could get her a 12 passenger van and it wouldn't be enough for all the kids that we tote around!

Not sure why I sold this one.

26101_1298619664528_8377781_n.jpg?lvh=1
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    I sold my 99 Chevy 1500 and got an 02 Taco this summer.Needed a 4door with the kids plus Toyotas are great little trucks that last forever as long as they don't rust away[:D]

Had to do a little modifying though[8D][:D]

1384964031362_zps80edb950.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75

Reason= the F250 ext. cab is lighter which increases tow capacity and the F250 has a much nicer ride with the same rated tow capacity as an F350.

For the wife it is an Excursion w/ diesel, I could get her a 12 passenger van and it wouldn't be enough for all the kids that we tote around!

Those were/are so cool and pretty rare IIRC.
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

Yeah, I had all the factory paperwork for it, the centurion title of origin, all the banks paperwork, 7.3 60k window sticker. Sound-proofed the interior with an infinity system and overhead dvd for the kids. oh well...
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    F150 Eco-boost. Rides like a limo and goes like a dragster.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

Yeah, I had all the factory paperwork for it, the centurion title of origin, all the banks paperwork, 7.3 60k window sticker. Sound-proofed the interior with an infinity system and overhead dvd for the kids. oh well...
    I have been driving Expedition since they came out in '97 on my fourth one now and this time I bought the EL.. I sure would like to have had one of those. Very nice.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toyota Tundra 4x4.
  • Options
    Irish 8802Irish 8802 Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2002 Chev Silverado 1/2T,ext cab,V8,2WD.
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a 2000 extended-cab Chevy S10 but only put about 1,500 miles a year on it and don't drive it in the winter. It has 37,000 miles (had 24,000 when I got it in 2004) and has never needed any repair so far. It has the V6 and AT. I wish I could do better than 21 mpg. For most hauling, I use my 1980 shortbed half-ton Chevy, but it's getting bad rust at 136,000 miles and terrible mileage for a 305 AT[:(].
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Toyota Tundra 4x4.

+1!