In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Today is Mardi Gras!

Young Ns GirlYoung Ns Girl Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
edited February 2006 in General Discussion
Today is Mardi Gras!

Mardi Gras came to New Orleans through its French heritage in 1699. Early explorers celebrated this French Holiday on the banks of the Mississippi River. Throughout the years, Orleanians have added to the celebration by establishing krewes (organizations) which host parades and balls. Carnival quickly became an exciting holiday for both children and adults.
Mardi Gras means "Fat Tuesday" and of course, is celebrated on that day of the week. The date can fall between February 3 and March 9 depending on the Lunar calendar, used by the Catholic Church to determine the date of Easter. Mardi Gras is always 47 days before Easter Sunday.

The official colors for Mardi Gras are purple, green, and gold. (You'll be getting your beads later today!) These colors were chosen in 1872 by the King of Carnival, Rex. He chose these colors to stand for the following:

? Purple represents justice

? Green stands for faith

? Gold stands for power

The Mardi Gras season begins on January 6 and continues until Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. On the Christian calendar, the twelfth day after Christmas is known as "Epiphany", "Twelfth Night", or "Kings Day." It is the day the gift-bearing Magi visited the baby Jesus, and is celebrated with its own unique rituals.

Comments

• Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Photos to follow.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fat tuesday. If you've never done it on Burbon street you're missing a good party.
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have been to N.O for mardi gras but Mobile is alot better to me but then i was born and raised here
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...went once, was enough. EVERYTHING smelled like beer. TOO crowded, beer spilled (and thrown) all over your clothes. Lots of naked boobies though [:p] Might be pretty fun this time, I hear about half the amount of people are there this time...[;)]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobile does have a really good mardi-gras party.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    In seattle, its just a party, a few years ago a good sized riot broke out and a guy was beaten to death it was a black white thing but the white guy died. the black guy, once convicted of murder was eventually given a new trial because of the supreme ct decision that death, caused by another felony isn't murder. IMO no amount of boobies is worth that crush of people Id rather run with the bulls sure there black and they smell bad but at least theyre sober with no history to take revenge for