In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dictator!

RevolutionJimRevolutionJim Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
how would you define a dictator?

quote:Bush challenges hundreds of laws
President cites powers of his office
By Charlie Savage, Globe Staff | April 30, 2006

WASHINGTON -- President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution.

Among the laws Bush said he can ignore are military rules and regulations, affirmative-action provisions, requirements that Congress be told about immigration services problems, ''whistle-blower" protections for nuclear regulatory officials, and safeguards against political interference in federally funded research.

Legal scholars say the scope and aggression of Bush's assertions that he can bypass laws represent a concerted effort to expand his power at the expense of Congress, upsetting the balance between the branches of government. The Constitution is clear in assigning to Congress the power to write the laws and to the president a duty ''to take care that the laws be faithfully executed." Bush, however, has repeatedly declared that he does not need to ''execute" a law he believes is unconstitutional.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/04/30/
bush_challenges_hundreds_of_laws/

let's see, he's the decider, he can't be impeached and I think the election laws are some that the neoconns ignore. If they are still in there after November it will be more obvious although some will never get it.

Comments

• SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    A potatoe in the shape of a member?
  • RevolutionJimRevolutionJim Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    A potatoe in the shape of a member?
    way to toe that party line. I didn't write the article, but it is true! What is more important the people or the government in a country?
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a bunch of Liberal CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:(] [:(!] [V]
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Linky no worky.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I am behind my president 100%
    henry the 8th did this too. he regained his kingdom from the catholics
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every president tests his powers vs. the will of Congress. Remember when Bill Clinton claimed exemption from civilian law because as Commander-in-Chief he should only be subject to military justice?

Nothing new here.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SaxonPig
    Every president tests his powers vs. the will of Congress. Remember when Bill Clinton claimed exemption from civilian law because as Commander-in-Chief he should only be subject to military justice?

Nothing new here.

oooohhhh I wish he would have gotten his way on that one. 20-life in levenworth would fit him fine
  • KK Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EVERY President has to play this game. The Constitution is VAGUE (as was the intent) as to the roles the President plays.
    Until I see him wearing an arm band and rounding up "Untermenschen" I would not panic just yet.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    revjim, damn boy! If your a conservative...and own guns?...you sure post some Lefty blather, still worrying too much are you?...hows the ulcer, I worry about you sometimes...[^]

iggy.jpg

...your looking a little haggered there...[:D]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • RevolutionJimRevolutionJim Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    certainly Clinton was no better although the overreaching of authority does seem to be escalating.

standing behind a government and president that steals elections and ignors the will of the people, then you are getting exactally what you deserve, unchecked immigration and loss of jobs a rapeing of the country by fascist looters.

When everybody admits there is a problem that will be the first step to fixing it.
  • CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    "Among the laws Bush said he can ignore are military rules and regulations"
    He is the commander and cheif of the military, as specified by the constitution, damn right he can (though when he wasnt and failed to report to his unit in the texas air national gaurd, thats another thing)

"affirmative-action provisions" huh? whats he doing now about that?

"asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution."
    Affirmative action is unconstitutional, while the supreme court is typically charged with deciding what is and is not constitutional, no branch of the govt. is alone given that power by the constitution.

The legislative has the duty to uphold the constitution by not writing any unconstitutional laws, the executive has the duty to uphold the constitution by not executing (enforcing) any unconstitutional laws, and the judicial has the duty to decide against any unconstitutional laws when they go to court.
    If a law is unconstitutional, I sure as heck hope he ignores it, cause he should be paying attention to the law which takes precedent over it, the Constitution, that which gives all laws their power.

"requirements that Congress be told about immigration services problems"
    Congress need not be told about everything, the constitution only specifies the president must update congress with a state of the union address. If congress is making demands of the executive branch, they are overstepping their bounds of the constitution.

"'whistle-blower protections for nuclear regulatory officials, and safeguards against political interference in federally funded research."
    I don't see how these laws would be unconstitutional, and I would take issue if he is ignoring these
    edited November -1
    Hey , you should change your name to reverand Jim....Thats how I always picture you wnen I read your posts....funny , funny guy[:D]