In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

which is more accurate

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
if at all...

stainless bbl

or

blued steel

... in your opinion/experience?

Addendum, is a stainless bbl susceptible to corrosive ammo?
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    I don't belive there is any difference.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by torosapo
    I don't belive there is any difference.

Is he talking about shooting or just slapping the hell out of someone? Don
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the difference in hardness and harmonic vibrations result in better accuracy for the two types of metal? Interesting question.
    BTHOOM. [:D] I suspect, but can't prove, the difference may be less than factors contributed from other causes, including human.
    Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? [:D][:D]
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    My understanding is that stainless is suppose to be more accurate vs.chrome lined.Most bull barrels are stainless,maybe thats why??But I think its debatable wether a bull is more accurate than a standard barrel. And yes,stainless is susceptable to corrosive ammo.Chrome lined,not as much.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    depends

Writing a shopping list.?

Don't know what is the more accurate - but I do know Accuracy International's finest barrels are stainless. But I'm convinced their attencion to detail when making the rifling has something to do with it too.

Same with Schultz&Larsen, who makes their riflings on the same old machines as... back in the day.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    In 9mm or .45?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if we are talking long range rifles, as far as target accuracy goes, then the answer is stainless. You NEVER see a chrome moly barrel at a benchreast match[8] Now, if we are talking anything within the average shooter's limits, it doesn't matter.

The stainless barrels have greater lubricity, and clean up faster. that is the main difference. If you aren't a competition shooter, you need not worry yourself with the difference.
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    I don't exactly know the word I'm looking for, but stainless transmits heat quicker than steel does. You get fewer hot spots in stainless because the heat spreads over the entire piece of stainless quicker than than it does with Steel, a more efficient heat sink. Stainless tends to spread heat more like copper than steel. You get a more uniform temperature quicker with stainless. Because the heat spreads out faster, it also radiates quicker, more surface area, at a higher temperature to bleed the heat off. A more efficient heat exchanger with air.

Simple test, take a piece of stainless and the same size piece of steel. Hold one end, heat the other end with a torch, see which one burns your fingers first, my bet is the stainless.

Take a 21 foot section of pipe, put it in a vise, heat one side. The other end of the pipe, far removed from the actual heat source, can move an amazing distance.

Barrel temperature has as much to do with accuracy in bench shooting, as many other factors. Few rifles shoot exactly the same hot, as they do cold. Some parts of the barrel (and breech) tends to retain heat longer with steel, than it does with stainless. Unequal heat in a metal tube tends to flex it slightly one direction or the other. It doesn't take much heat flex at the end of the barrel to move a bullet strike a significant distance at a hundred yards. The faster the heat bleeds off from the hot spots the better and/or the quicker the temperature becomes uniform is better for accuracy IMO.

I'm sure there is word in physics for this process, I'll be darned if I know what it is.

This is more an opinion than proven fact, but it is likely I'm right or very close to right. Most of this is empirical, but I've spent most of my life working with pipe, steel, cast, stainless and copper. And most of my life shooting for accuracy. I've got a pretty finely tuned sense of heat (or cold) and what a metal does when it is heated or cooled.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    You NEVER see a chrome moly barrel at a benchreast match[8]

That was the first thing to go on my Colt H-bar. Now it shoots sub MOA, before nothing better than a big clover leaf at 100.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the only difference I can think of would be consideration of heat from rapid firing. maybe if it was real hot, the stainless might hold more true than steel?

best I have to offer

shrug
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    if at all...

stainless bbl

or

blued steel

... in your opinion/experience?

Addendum, is a stainless bbl susceptible to corrosive ammo?

blued barrels has zero to do with the rifling inside, typically is a matter of chromium/nickel/steel etc make up that makes the difference vs stainless

stainless bbl is very susceptible to rust and corrosion, some more than others again depending on the manufacturers chemical make up of the steel, as a rule of thumb, the more carbon=more rust capabilities, but harder steel, the more chromium, less rust=softer metal

stainless will rust and corrode under the right conditions, salt, oils from our hands, corrosive ammo, chemicals in primers are corrosive, but typically gets burnt up by the powder
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    You NEVER see a chrome moly barrel at a benchreast match[8]

That was the first thing to go on my Colt H-bar. Now it shoots sub MOA, before nothing better than a big clover leaf at 100.

stainless?
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    you would have to be a really good marksman before it ever made a difference.
    Let me rephrase that. I am not a good enough marksman to tell the difference [:I]