In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wild, Wild , Wild Question for y"all

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in General Discussion
Since a lot of ya'll are razzing about the Mexicans on here I have a good question.... What would you do if a Mexican Police Officer who works in the U.S.A. ask you for identification ? Wonder how long this post will last before the big POOF?

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope I don't overload the system and blow up the GB computer [:o)][:o)]
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    Do you mean a police officer who lives and works in Mexico?
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,308 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Not sure where you're going with this? Like wanting to see your DL on a traffic stop? If that's the case I'd give it to him just like I would with any officer.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Do you mean a Police Officer employed by a PD in the USA who happens to be Hispanic?
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Since a lot of ya'll are razzing about the Mexicans on here I have a good question.... What would you do if a Mexican Police Officer who works in the U.S.A. ask you for identification ? Wonder how long this post will last before the big POOF?

He is employed in the U.S.A.
  • Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's a police officer, he's (most likely) here legally, of course I would listen to him, and when he was done thank him and wish him a good day.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    We have Hispanic Officers in my area. If he's asking for your identification legally, you BETTER come up with it, or he'll call his backup Brothers in Blue to help you find it.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    As long as he didn't say "Bajezz! We dunt need no steenkin bajezz" I'd comply.
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    Since he's an officer of the law, he gets to see my license.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pissonillegal.jpg
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I'd ask him if he's seen the NEW signs - on the right![:D][:D][:D]
    MEXICANSRUNNINGSIGN.jpg
  • goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    As long as he didn't say "Bajezz! We dunt need no steenkin bajezz" I'd comply.

badges0mf.jpg

You know it friend.
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    Depends on if he asked me the question in american or spanish.What would you do if a doctor told you that you would die in twentyfour hours, in spanish?[:D][:D][:D]
  • RevolutionJimRevolutionJim Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there are mexican troops in New Orleans, they drove through Texas to get there.
  • Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    RJ you really are a comedian.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same thing I would do if a black officer asked me for my license ...

I have no doubt there are good honest hard working illegal immigrants in this country, its just the fact they are here illegally that I object to.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know, Resident Juvenile(RJ), you might want to peddle your tripe on your own threads. It shows a complete lack of courtesy to hijack someone else's thread just to spew your bile.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    An American cop of Mexican descent gets my license. If he was a 'Mexican Police Officer" I would not stop.

I did get pulled over in an INS checkpoint in El Paso a few years back. I had an officer of hispanic origin ask me if I was a US citizen. I said "yes, are you ?". He waved me on. They were filming for COPS, but I never saw myself on TV [:D].
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    If he's a police officer he gets my license. If his police car is lowered with daytons and fuzzy dice on the mirror he gets the finger[8D]
  • spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just try to stay out of trouble.

in the context of this post that means give up the license.

in some contexts it means cut and run.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    What would you do if a Mexican Police Officer who works in the U.S.A. ask you for identification?

There's no such thing.

No matter what he/she may look like, they're as much an American as you are.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    this question in relation to the issue about illegals, has to be the poster child for the term apples and oranges
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    this question in relation to the issue about illegals, has to be the poster child for the term apples and oranges

I don't think I can agree with you. There was a thread that select started earlier in the week (now POOFED) where she said she hired a very much legal Mexican to clean her yard and some people on this board had less-than-kind responses.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spanielsells
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan

I don't think I can agree with you. There was a thread that select started earlier in the week (now POOFED) where she said she hired a very much legal Mexican to clean her yard and some people on this board had less-than-kind responses.

well this board is bi-polar too, i have seen duplicate threads posted a day apart and get two totally different responses, but illegals coming across the boarder, and a Mexican American police officer is apples and oranges
    edited November -1
    quote:There was a thread that select started earlier in the week (now POOFED) where she said she hired a very much legal Mexican to clean her yard
    First of all Select-Fire is a he.
    He never said he got proof of the legality of the person who cleaned his yard.
    Everybody knows that pretty much all illegals are carrying around some sort of false documentation.
    Select-Fire also bragged months ago about how cheaply he had his house built by hiring a contractor who admittedly used illegal aliens.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RugerNiner
    quote:There was a thread that select started earlier in the week (now POOFED) where she said she hired a very much legal Mexican to clean her yard
    First of all Select-Fire is a he.
    He never said he got proof of the legality of the person who cleaned his yard.
    Everybody knows that pretty much all illegals are carrying around some sort of false documentation.
    Select-Fire also bragged months ago about how cheaply he had his house built by hiring a contractor who admittedly used illegal aliens.

I thought I read that he was a she... I apologize for the error.

I'm sorry, but it is not right to assume that because someone is of hispanic descent that he or she is illegal and has falsified papers. Many have immigrated here legally. Many others were born in this country, making them 100% as American and you or me, according to the U.S. Constitution.

If you've reason to suspect someone's papers are forged documents, report them and let the authorities investigate. If the papers look legitimate, then you have to assume that they are.

Let me ask you another question, just so I can understand where you stand. If a Canadian were to cross the northern border illegally (and, for the record, it is actually easier at the northern border than the southern border), would you be demanding his or her papers? If he talked like an American and had an American-sounding name, what would tip you off? Isn't he just as illegal as the Mexican? Do you trust the Canadians papers over the Mexican's papers? Or, rather, is this about something else entirely?

By the way, where's your papers? Your birth certificate could very likely be forged. Everyone knows that illegals are carrying around some sort of false documentation.
    edited November -1
    An Illegal Alien is an Illegal Alien no matter what Nationality.

I just did a job where there were illegal Irish and 1 illegal Polish person. The Owner/Contractor told me this. I was fired from this job after he saw my bumper sticker about Illegal Immigrants.

An Illegal is an Illegal is an Illegal.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

edited November -1
    An Illegal Alien is an Illegal Alien no matter what Nationality.

I just did a job where there were illegal Irish and 1 illegal Polish person. The Owner/Contractor told me this. I was fired from this job after he saw my bumper sticker about Illegal Immigrants.

An Illegal is an Illegal is an Illegal.

We're in agreement then.

Now, for the second part. How do you determine, you, personally, that someone is legal or not? Can you tell just by looking at them? What tips you off?
    edited November -1
    Many things give me an uneasy feeling about one's legality.

1. Can't speak any English.
    2. They avoid eye contact and conversation with Americans.
    3. They tend to wonder off if someone of authority is around.
    4. One person gets a check and the rest are paid in cash from that check.
    5. Lined up at Winn-Dixie sending Money Grams back to their prospective Countries.

These are things that I have personally witnessed and investigated.

There are also some bold uncaring contractors that like to brag about their labor being illegal therefore paying them poverty wages.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

edited November -1
    Points One and Two are pretty weak, really.

If you visit enclaves in some bigger cities, you'll find that not speaking English isn't so unusual. There's enclaves where Russian, German, Chinese, Korean, and yes, Spanish is only spoken. Those people have lived there for a few generations.

Sheesh. You can go to Ohio, Pennsyvania, Wisconsin, etc. and run into the Amish - probably with generations going back further than you or me, who barely speak English, or what English they do speak, you'd not recognize.

As far as not looking you in the eye, you might find that's a cultural thing, too. There are some cultures where that's a sign of aggression or a lack of respect. Or, the person may just be shy.

Points Three and Four have some merit to them. But, it has nothing to do with whether or not they're in the country illegally. It has to do with likely current illegal activity.

Point Five is baseless. Until it is illegal to wire money out of the country in sums less than $10,000, you're up the creek without a paddle on this.

If my folks (father is a 3rd generation American, mother is a 5th) are overseas and requires immediate funds, and I wire them, does that make me suspect in your eyes (I'm not even suggesting a country, I'm just wiring money to my folks who are in another country).
    edited November -1
    quote:How do you determine, you, personally, that someone is legal or not? Can you tell just by looking at them? What tips you off?
    You didn't ask for absolute proof.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

edited November -1

You didn't ask for absolute proof.

No, I didn't. But, as a patriotic American, surely you believe that everyone is innocent unless otherwise proven guilty, right (and, witnessing someone crossing the border illegally or hearing them talk about how they themselves crossed over illegally is "proof" enough IMO)?

All I am saying is there can be a fine line between being a patriotic American and being clearly off-base and becoming un-American.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Hate to start something but,this is a stupid question.[:(]
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I think Rugers test is a good one.....I have jumped to conclusions with alot less information [8D]
    Besides, as a patriotic (or even unpatriotic)American, I'm entitled to have an opinion. How I arrive at that opinion is my business. On a side note, are the seychelles a French colony?...OR SPANISH
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Da-Tank

dlrjj-

He's right. Mexico sent a number of troops and trucks of food for the relief effort. Don't be so quick when your own ignorance is greater. Not saying this applies to every one of RJ responses, but in this case he's correct.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote by Spanialsells

Quote"If you visit enclaves in some bigger cities, you'll find that not speaking English isn't so unusual. There's enclaves where Russian, German, Chinese, Korean, and yes, Spanish is only spoken. Those people have lived there for a few generations."

They should be ashamed of themselves.
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mexican Police Officer... Do you mean a person that is Mexican decent that is a U.S. citizen in a uniform of a U.S. city eg San Diego County Sheriff? Or do you mean a Mexican citizen in a uniform eg Tijaunia Baja Mexico?
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1

I will indentify myself to any American police officer who asks for identification. If I were in Mexico and a Mexican police officer asked me for identification, I would do the same.
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    quote:Originally posted by Da-Tank

dlrjj-

He's right. Mexico sent a number of troops and trucks of food for the relief effort. Don't be so quick when your own ignorance is greater. Not saying this applies to every one of RJ responses, but in this case he's correct.

I know that Mexico sent troops to help, in Sept. 05, are they still there? RJ's post said the troops are in New Orleans, not that they had been sent months ago. I was under the impression that the Mexican troops had long since departed. Sorry if I was incorrect in that assumption. Regardless, we know what the implication of RJ's post concerned, the assumption of an armed invasion of the US by Mexico. That was a common topic of the time on several of the sites RJ frequently lists as his sources. Do a Yahoo search of Mexican troops+new orleans and you can find a wealth of tinfoil information about the "invasion". I'm not trying to step on your toes, just contradicting the implication of RJ's post.[:)]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.