Is this possible to defeat Roe vs Wade?

us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,304 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
Per an email from the congressperson Mooney R-WVA;

"The time to grovel before the Supreme Court is over.

Working from what the Supreme Court ruled in Roe v. Wade, pro-life lawmakers can pass a Life at Conception Act and end abortion using the Constitution instead of amending it."

[?][?]
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,807 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The third rail of politics. Lets focus on getting the economy and the border under control first.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Extremely unlikely.

Almost certainly not in my or your lifetime.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 30,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Abortion is not the Federal governments purview. Perhaps this issue is one of the unsolvable limits of Mankind's laws but we can not solve all human issues in this life.

I see abortion as divisive and destructive as slavery; that issue almost destroyed our nation and killed 600,000 Americans to settle, that settlement result has proven to be correct. If we are going to err in law it must be an error on the side of freedom of conscience.

Before you get all high and mighty, I abhor abortion.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 32,962 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope that Roe V Wade stands as law. Abortion should be legal.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I can't oppose something that tends to eliminate libtards and future welfare recipients.
  • themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well said bpost.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,624 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the meantime, taxpayers should not be burdened with any such cost.
    What's next?
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,925
    edited November -1
    Opinion: To attempt changing R.vrs.W. in the next two years is a huge mistake. Enormous amounts of political capital will be expended.

Better to concentrate on economy, jobs, taxes. Those items will give Trump more political "capital" and assure his reelection if successful.

Then concentrate on what folks think is the next priority.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Member Posts: 35,550 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    Extremely unlikely.

Almost certainly not in my or your lifetime.

Exactly.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 21,841 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roe V. Wade should serve as a primer for those that support Federalized CCW.

The concept was supposedly to enhance the rights of women in their making of a private decision and shield them from the meddling of State Legislatures. The decision effectively put no limitations upon the procedure, but pseudo-cons could not accept this and continued to enact laws, some of which stuck and some of which did not, to limit this newly codified right.

Unhappy with blanket reciprocity and the implied restriction upon the powers of the states to regulate abortions, the discussion has become a national football with collectivists on both sides wishing to create a Federal collectivist law that must be obeyed by the legislatures and citizens of every state in the union.

Be careful what you wish for, folks. Nothing is or ever will be a simple as it should be, and some things are best left to the States.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,668
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

Working from what the Supreme Court ruled in Roe v. Wade, pro-life lawmakers can pass a Life at Conception Act and end abortion using the Constitution instead of amending it."

[?][?]

If the judicial system can be vetted of activists yes, it will be revisited and clarified.

Every human on the planet had to go through that particular stage in life. To pick and choose who gets to live is unconstitutional because it is discriminatory.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Men need to stay the hell out of women's decisions on what they do with their body. If men had to carry a baby there would be a whole lot more abortions than they are now or else suicides would be the number one killer of pregnant men.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,820 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    Men need to stay the hell out of women's decisions on what they do with their body. If men had to carry a baby there would be a whole lot more abortions than they are now or else suicides would be the number one killer of pregnant men.

I don't want to interfere with a woman's decision, I just want her to pay for her decisions with her money and not mine.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member Posts: 59,465 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

That argument is pretty comical, considering the fact the body they are making a decision regarding is the baby's.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Right On, Mr. P!

After First getting Supreme Court Appointment done, Deleting Roe v Wade is next on my Punch List.

Third, Borders/Immigration situation needs sorting.

Fourth, Fifty State Concealed Carry.

Then Hearing Protection Act.

Then U.S. Gov't needs to divest itself of Insane amount of Land Holdings.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

I don't want to interfere with a woman's decision, I just want her to pay for her decisions with her money and not mine.
    If nothing else.... THIS!
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

[/quote]

Oh yeah it would always be better to pay for the little bast-ards on welfare for the rest of their life.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have mixed emotions on this issue. But I do agree with "fideau".
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

Oh yeah it would always be better to pay for the little bast-ards on welfare for the rest of their life.

[/quote]Sounds like you're a part of the problem.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When abortion survivors have doctors tried for attempted murder, the abortion industry should shut down overnight.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mooney introduced "H.R. 816 - Life at Conception Act." back in 2015. It did not go anywhere for reason we all know. It may have a decent run if it were reintroduced again.

Little scoop on Mooney.. He is a Mexican. He has surprised me at some of the good he has attempted to do.
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Just seems very odd the male has no say in the process because without the male, a female would never become pregnant.

[?]
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My opinion on Roe versus Wade is that messing with it is political suicide for the Republician Party. Clinton tried to go after guns. The next mid term election killed the Democrats because of it. Love or hate abortion, the pro chocice people are as amdant and politicaly active as us 2nd ammendment people. They will kill us at the polls. My advice is do not poke that bear.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

[?][?]

This will of course get a chuckle here, considering how Congress and states ignore the theory with respect to the 2nd Amendment, but Congress cannot make and keep a law which violates the Constitution. That's what such a law would amount to.

Were Roe v Wade overturned all it would mean is the individual states could do as they prefer. Abortion on demand would not be ended.