In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Picked my granite out yesterday

slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
$3700! Yiikes!

Comments

• frog21frog21 Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So you were holding out on us here.Had we've known,we could have bought stock in rocks.[:D]Hope your not talking about a tombstone are you?
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:your not talking about a tombstone are you?

I didn't even know you were sick. You'll be misse[;)]d.

AT
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Latest testing shows there have been increased amounts of radon found in homes that have granite counters installed. The EPA and other agencies are trying to decide how to handle it. I would suggest a radon detector in your kitchen just to be safe or change your order to the synthetic granite before it's too late. Should be cheaper too.
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    Latest testing shows there have been increased amounts of radon found in homes that have granite counters installed. The EPA and other agencies are trying to decide how to handle it. I would suggest a radon detector in your kitchen just to be safe or change your order to the synthetic granite before it's too late. Should be cheaper too.

Radon is en ENOURMOUS scam on the scale of global warming.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I just put in 94 feet of granite in our kitchen and butler's Pantry.

Pretty neat looking. Did a divorce for a granite guy and we bartered a bit.

Gonna put in a copper backsplash to match the cabinet fronts...

GraniteInstall09.jpg

GranitePantry.jpg
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

I just put in 94 feet of granite in our kitchen and butler's Pantry.

Pretty neat looking. Did a divorce for a granite guy and we bartered a bit...

GraniteInstall09.jpg

GranitePantry.jpg

nice kitchen matty, you must have saved his *,now your both happy[;)][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate

I wouldn't know about that, but it does cause various cancers and tumors after prolonged exposure. By the way, how can a naturally occuring material be part of a global warmin scam?
    edited November -1

I wouldn't know about that, but it does cause various cancers and tumors after prolonged exposure. By the way, how can a naturally occuring material be part of a global warmin scam?

Read more on the radon scam (there is lots out there on it). The people that push it are the people that make the test and remediation kits. I was simply comparing how big a scam it is to global warming (also a big scam), I am not saying it has anything to do with global warming.
    edited November -1
    Sorry I mis-read your post. Radon remediation is as simple as putting a fan under the house to vent the radon gas out. I'd rather do that and play it safe than to be wrong and wake up dead or worse one day.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk

nice kitchen matty, you must have saved his *,now your both happy[;)][:D]

Thanks, T!

The wife is happy happy happy, so I am, yes you guessed it, happy happy happy, also!
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Those are sweet, we are in the market for new counter tops. Could you post a pic of the copper back splash when it goes up.
  • Tile KingTile King Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    granites the way to go. its just about indestructable. you can cut right on it (you'll ruin the knife blade though), you can put a hot pot/pan from the stove on it, and it looks great. you wont be disappointed.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Those are sweet, we are in the market for new counter tops. Could you post a pic of the copper back splash when it goes up.

Glad to. Might be a year or two at the rate my wife is "deciding..." [B)]

quote:Originally posted by Tile King
    granites the way to go. its just about indestructable. you can cut right on it (you'll ruin the knife blade though), you can put a hot pot/pan from the stove on it, and it looks great. you wont be disappointed.

If you use the glass style cookware you should not set it on the granite. It is my understanding that the cookware will crack from being placed on the cold granite...
    edited November -1
    $3700! Yiikes!

What did you get? Got any pics? Have they done the templates yet?
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    $3700! Yiikes!

How much did that work out to a square foot $$?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mango tango
    $3700! Yiikes!

How much did that work out to a square foot $$?

No pics yet - it was $59/sq foot. He figured us having 59 sq feet. I don't know how they measure granite but I only figured about 30.
  • Tile KingTile King Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what color did you pick? whats it called?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tile King
    what color did you pick? whats it called?

Brown something - I need to look at the reciept.