In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stock Market: Get in now or wait it out?

Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
edited March 2008 in General Discussion
I'm trying to decide where to put Roth IRA money right now. My head tells me the stock market is the safe long term investment, but news right now is pretty bad, and things look pretty hazy for the near future....

Is it a "buyer's market" at this point....or should I hold out until things start looking up?

Comments

• Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honestly I've not been in the market for 20 years. I'm 100% farmland since I'm a farmer/shooter and I like land - I have done awe$omely well $$$. I do follow the market and my feeling is that it's headed down, down ,down. That's good though. I'd put 20% in now and keep putting 10% moreevery month as it goes down, I' d buy index, no-load funds of the total market such as Vanguard sells. No way would I pay for a load fund.
  • Options
    oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a small down cycle. It shall return strong around the corner. Definetly a good buy now. Spread your money out in many investments...stocks, silver, guns, etc. Land is very good but quite high now.
  • Options
    ccddbb95448ccddbb95448 Member Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    always buy at dow 10000 it sees it every two years or so!
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:My head tells me the stock market is the safe long term investment

[;)]
    Well lets see, If you would have bought stock in Coca-Cola 30 years ago-
    Right now I would buy mom and pop bank stocks, and hang on. The big fish are going to eat the little ones[:D]
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find a broker you can work with and let them help you sort it out. If you go it alone, chances are you're dead meat. Never invest more than you can afford to loose.
  • Options
    ZebraZebra Member Posts: 5,762
    edited November -1
    It's sad that people are cashing in their 401-K's now....sad...
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm waiting for 10,000.
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Buy low sell high...so putting money in is looking better every day.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Not even checking my 401K cause I'm sure if I did I would want out bad.

So I do not even think about it. What happens happens, just hope they are right and its going to even out.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Jump on in, if it dose not look good in 2 years than just wait it out, hold on for the next 20 and you'll be sitting pretty. Remember it is a long term investment so don't get upset at minor fluctuations.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a significant portion into aerospace companies, and medical manufacturing companies. The two industries make pretty good partners (I believe) for the long term.

I watch my money, but I do not panic. So far, so good.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    I'd keep it in safe cash reserves in your account until the market stabalizes. If we hit a recession (-20%), you'll be really happy, if we hit a depression (-80%), you'll be really, really happy!