In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help with dogs

rovrmanrovrman Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in General Discussion
Does anyone have any advice about loose dogs. I now live in a really rural community. I own several acres with no fencing. My neighbors dogs come over everything we are outside. They are harmless but my little ones are scared of them and the crap is way too much. How can I keep them away without harming them?

Comments

• Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off, talk to your neighbor and see what they have to say. My neighbors had some trouble with my German Shepard chasing their livestock. They walked over and talked to me about it. The problem was solved, no one shot my dog and my neighbors learned that they can talk to me about any problems we may have
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't be too careful. I once saw a chihauhua and two Bichon-Frieze take down a 747. By any chance do you own a machinegun? I would spray the owners' houses while they're sleeping.
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around here we spray the dog houses. We only spray the owners if they come into our yards.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Pffffst! High Volume ... you've got a BOMB in your keffiyeh!!![:0][:0][:0]

... yeah, you ARE easy to talk to![:D]
    chewtwigzz.gif
  • Options
    lazeruslazerus Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around here loose dogs get shot.
    My pitbull has been shot twice for being a pitbull.
    Used to have a chocolate lab that was very good at figuring out how to get out of the fence neighbor complained to me said if it continues he'll shoot her, I gave him permission hopeing the dog wouldn't get out again or he is a bad shot. no sutch luck.
  • Options
    Flyin_PaulieFlyin_Paulie Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rovrman
    Does anyone have any advice about loose dogs. I now live in a really rural community. I own several acres with no fencing. My neighbors dogs come over everything we are outside. They are harmless but my little ones are scared of them and the crap is way too much. How can I keep them away without harming them?

The best thing to do if you have a "loose" dog is to get him/her going to church which could possibly instill some basic morality in him/her.
    kilroy.jpg
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    here's one for ya..hope you can get this at the local store, jayes fluid, it a strong disinfectant, get a ball of old wool, place the fluid in a container that the ball of wool fits in, let the ball soak over nite in the fluid. take it out , let the eccess drip off (5 mins), ok.
    now where ever you dont wish the animals to come, (under/over fence)whatever, gaps in gates etc. lay the wool out over that area, its discrete, and trains the animals to go else where, its great on trapping vermin to go through a certain area, leave a gap , no wool.(rabbits etc) put a net where the gap is , bingo! all the rabbits you need.[:)] [:D]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call your animal control in the parish and set traps. If you know the owners ask them to keep the dogs home. Then check your local leash laws.. If all else fails, load the 12 gauge and get the shovel.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    and another:
    if you live near a zoo or visit, ask the keeper for some lion dung!
    throw it over the roses or base of the trees..now that does stop the dogs!!& the mother in-law..[:D][:D]
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lazerus
    Used to have a chocolate lab that was very good at figuring out how to get out of the fence neighbor complained to me said if it continues he'll shoot her, I gave him permission hopeing the dog wouldn't get out again or he is a bad shot. no sutch luck.

I'm having no small difficulty grasping this. Rather than either withholding permission for your neighbor to shoot your dog because of your negligence or taking the proper steps to ensure that your dog did not get out again, you merely hoped the dog would not get out again or that your neighbor was a bad shot. Is this correct? Am I understanding this properly?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dances, your only failure is in considering the source.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know of what lazerus speaks. Where we lived 20 yrs. ago, there was an unwritten understanding among folks within a couple mile radius. IE: Your dog gets one, maybe two chances. Then, he's fair game, and I have to dig the hole. The house came with a St. Bernard from the previous owner. Soon, I get the call..."That damn thing is in my yard again, and if you don't get him, I'm gonna shoot him." I told him to go right ahead, ain't my dog and he's gotta dig the hole . He did. I've shot two of my own dogs for doing the same. I'd rather have a good neighbor than a bad dog. Flame away.
  • Options
    BT3BT3 Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thier was a time I would give 1 warning and then take care of it myself. Not now, ( with exceptions) getting old I guess. If the dog(S) were a threat to livestock, other animals or my family then the above would apply. If just a nusince, trap and call animal control to come and get it. After several bills getting thier dog out of doggy jail they would get the picture. [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BT3, you made a good point. I'm gettin' soft in my old age. I won't kill dogs that I recognize anymore, but strays only get a chance or two.
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rovrman, have we been enough help yet?[:D]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's canine week! From wolves and yotes with full autos to killing man's best friend for being a pest. I love this place....[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Seems to me shooting irresponsible owner would solve the problem a lot faster.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lazerus
    Around here loose dogs get shot.
    My pitbull has been shot twice for being a pitbull.

Wouldn't it have just been better to be a RESPONSIBLE dog owner and take the necessary steps to insure your dog stayed on YOUR property???
    Are you saying your dog could outwit and outhink you???
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I feel sorry for the guy who shoots my dog. they are my kids and like most kids, given the oportunity, they will screw up. I try my absolute best and so far (knock on wood) they haven't gotten out of my fenced yard or their kennels. If they did, I would hope someone wouldn't impose the death penalty. its bad enough worrying about speeding cars
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Had a black lab take up residence at my house a couple of weeks ago. About the same time, all 3 of our outdoor cats disappeared. Dog was healthy and friendly, but wasn't wearing a collar. I tried to find an owner, but had no luck. Called the animal control officer and he said he would come out the next day and pick him up. Later that same day I ran into my neighbor while I was leaving the grocery store. He asked about the black lab that had been hanging around. I told him the story and said that he had killed our 3 cats and that I had called animal control. Neighbor said I didn't need to worry about it. I asked why. He said the dog had come over to his house earlier that day and killed 2 of his chickens, neighbor was standing at the window and saw the whole thing. So he shot and killed the dog. I didn't blame him a bit. People should keep their animals on their own property. It is a shame to have to put down a good looking dog like that, but that is just the way it is. The next day I did find two of our cats, chewed up and quite dead.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Most of this area of the world is free range. That is to say, one fences livestock OUT, not in. Maybe that's how your neighbors see things where you live. It may not be the answer you're looking for, but it may also be the way things are done where you live.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:About the same time, all 3 of our outdoor cats disappeared.

Sadly demonstrating that your cats also should not be running around outdoors.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    scottm, sounds like you might get angry if your dogs run loose on another property. You should hope that they do not bite someone if they are fortunate enough to make it home. I won't shoot a mans dog IF it has a collar. I've had enough problems with wild ones on my property in the past since we moved in our new home. I have no mercy on them..
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    You can be a good neighbor and ;

1. keep your dog out of their property or

2. Be a good neighbor and get rid of your dog! (there is more than one way)
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many times are we going to beat this dead dog? On a slow day on old GB, just start a thread on how to kill dogs or cats. It really brings out the humanity and deep thought in people. I have had problems with my dogs and with neighbors dogs, but I've never felt the need to ask advise on here on how to handle the situation. Every case has different factors and parameters.

Tie up the dumb mutt.

Shoot the beast.

Put out poison.

So many choices, you could catch them with a leg snare, then stomp them to death.

Or, you could just talk to your neighbor and see if you can come to a satisfactory conclusion without doing something rash[|)].
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    I keep my dogs up and I expect the same of others. Even so, I won't shoot a dog simply for being on my property. I might consider a non-lethal deterrent, such as a BB gun, to encourage it to go home.

There is a "neighbor" who lives around behind me a half mile or so, who has a red heeler named Annie who keeps having pups. When Annie is nursing, she apparently doesn't get enough to eat at home, so she shows up here and we feed her.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fact that I live in the weeds may lend credibility to what I say. Talk to your neighbor, bring the kids and be nice, try to help. You do this three times over a year at LEAST.

If that fails you call the local animal control and trap them.

Then and ONLY then if you feel your children are threatened you shoot the animals.

My .02
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Wax bullets. BBs or pellets can and will penetrate the skin. A few rounds of wax bullets in the posterior lets them know they are not welcome without permanent damage.
  • Options
    Bolivers WifeBolivers Wife Member Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can always shoot them with an airsoft gun[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog...Our cats stayed on our property. They were too dang chicken to go anywhere else. They had a house and had the run of our 3 acres. Didn't bother a soul. Didn't deserve to get eaten by a dog. Heck, there is no fence between us and the neighbor, and his chickens stayed on his property! His guineas are another story however. [:D] BUT...don't make assumptions of you don't know what you are assuming....[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:The next day I did find two of our cats, chewed up and quite dead.

I actually assumed nothing, you made it clear that they were outdoor cats and were killed. My comment was that cats should not be outdoors. Whether they strictly ovserve your boundries or not, the stray dogs and cats do not. Outdoor cats regularly lose stand offs with cars trucks, dogs and horrible feline diseases that visitng cats bring with them. There has never been a tiny feline predator in North America, and game has little or no defense against them. for many reasons your poor cats do not belong outdoors. Sorry, nothing personal, but I like cats a lot and consider outdoor cats to be victims of human irresponsibility.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    there is a golden retreiver who lives up the road....somewhere. he gets loose, often. he is a very nice looking animal one Im sure I would be proud to own if I kept TOY dogs. anyway he comes down and promonades in front of the house on the road outside my fence. My german shorthairs can hear a mouse fart on the lawn so they know when he is there so out they go
    up and down back and forth across the front of my grass while the GR does the same on the street side of my fence. My dogs could easily jump the fence if they felt the need but they never do. all that has happened is I get irratated by the barking (mostly my dogs)and I don't like the path they've worn in the grass. Usually the owner drives down the road in his busted up toyota. he generally smells like liquor. apologies are made along with promises to "keep this damn dog in the yard" and away he goes.dog in the back waggin his tail cuz he finally got some attention! I've seen his dog 2 miles away at our closest convienice store, seen him chase/follow the girls on their horses and joggers down the road. like a kid, he's lonely without someone to hang out with. There is a black lab named cody...I read it on his collar He jumps the fence and comes in the yard the dogs play and if he is still here at night I put him in the extra kennel so he won't get hit by a car. His owner knows to come looking for him at the house. so, should I shoot this dog? god knows he could break in my yard and steal my tv. If a dog eats your chickens have chicken for dinner.(you were gonna anyway) shoot him with a bb gun or get some of that stuff mond was talking about. but if you kill him be prepared, turnabout is a gripe and someday one of your dogs or cats will be out running.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    quote:The next day I did find two of our cats, chewed up and quite dead.

I actually assumed nothing, you made it clear that they were outdoor cats and were killed. My comment was that cats should not be outdoors. Whether they strictly ovserve your boundries or not, the stray dogs and cats do not. Outdoor cats regularly lose stand offs with cars trucks, dogs and horrible feline diseases that visitng cats bring with them. There has never been a tiny feline predator in North America, and game has little or no defense against them. for many reasons your poor cats do not belong outdoors. Sorry, nothing personal, but I like cats a lot and consider outdoor cats to be victims of human irresponsibility.

They're animals, they have fur coats god gave them, they were not domisticated until man made them that way, what kind of quality of life can an animal, an animal, have that is confined to the indoors. There are vaccines for diseases. Vaccines are to prevent it from happening. Nothing personal here either I just can't understand why you would take an animal from there natural setting and cage them, esentially what you are doing. Now that doesn't mean they don't need to be in the house but let them out some don't keep them confined like in a prison.[V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, if you want to look at it from a biological perspective, there is nothing slightly "natural" about a cat which evolved in North Africa running around in North America after being altered by 5,000 years of domestication is there? The idea of happy animals out running around the neighborhood making friends and doing happy animal things is the myth of ignorance. Your ignorance. There are vaccines for some diseases. There are no vaccines for other diseases, and some vaccines, like feline leukemia are so poor they confir about 10% grater immunity than doing nothing. They would not be on the market if they were human vaccines. As I said before, never in the history of the North American continent has there been a tiny feline predator. The bob cat is the smallest cat that has ever been here, the lynx, the cougar, the jaguar, the ocelot and the jaguarundi are all as large or larger. Yet in the interest of a happy natural life for your cat you want to subject native wildlife to an introduced predator that native wildlife has no defense against? Domestic cats take rats, mice, voles, shrews, moles, lizards, snakes, small birds, including many, many "song" birds, and small game birds such as quail and doves, insects and other arthropods, and that is a partial list. You call that natural? Look, you know as well as I do that people are not very responsible with their children. You really imagine that they are responsible with their pets? Cats are now the most popular pets in the U.S. having surpassed dogs some years ago in an increasingly urban society. Cats are also the most numerous feral pet in the country, suffering short, nasty, parasite ridden, diseased and injured lives. Not one in one hundred feral cats can actually make a long term (several year) living in North America, they are not built for it, but they can do enormous ecological damage, reproduce geometrically, and suffer terribly in the short time they do survive. Letting them out to run around the neighborhood is not sort of like sending your kids to camp, it is more like sending them to the feed lot. I don't mean to be unfriendly to a board member, but truly letting them run around outside is no kindness.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry to disagree He Dog, but living in the country, as I do, I keep cats outdoors to keep the mouse, mole and rat population down. Either we have cats outside, or mice inside. AND I HATE MICE! I don't let my cats "go feral", all of them are pets to my daughter. They come to her when she calls, she loads them in her baby stroller and hauls them around, they are PETS...OUTDOOR pets. One more thing....all my pets are neutered or fixed. No irresponsible reproduction going on here. [:D] Heck...I remember visiting my GREAT-grand-dads place. He died when I was 20 - long-lived sucker. He and my great grandma kept DOZENS of cats on the farm for rodent control. Worked fine back then too, and they ALWAYS lived outside!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Whatcha need is a couple of really good snakes.[}:)][^]
  • Options
    rovrmanrovrman Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, such anger here. I will go with nun's idea and pop them with a BB gun.
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I moved from the country to town and nobody here seems to understand that dogs running loose are fair game. The kill every flower we put in the yard and in West Texas keepin' flowers growin' is enough of a challenge without doggy pee. Light 'em up with my trusty old Daisy Red Ryder, circa 1946, which evidently came with a cocking spring from Caddy suspension. Chico always runs away yelpin' and I walk away grinnin'. On good days I can get em' twice before their outta range. Maybe I should mount a red-dot? MIKE