In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

UNIVERSITY50 you stated in the other thread.

LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
edited March 2012 in General Discussion
Started by MFI. Looking for a car.

quote:we had not just purchased my daughter her KIA

I did not want to hijack that thread to give you a heads up on a KIA Problem. I have a 97 Sportage and it was brought to my attention that KIA has/had a bad problem with the Crankshaft Pulley bolts breaking. This is the bolt that holds the Camshaft to the crank. The Harmonic balancer is then bolted to the cam gear with six bolts. If the bolt breaks the cam pulley could work it way off of the crankshaft far enough to cause the harmonic balancer pulley to throw the belt or break the six bolts holding it to the cam gear.

The factory bolt on the left and the recall replacement bolt on the right.

2696450413_d71326ff00.jpg

The guy that brought this to my attention owns a 2000 Sportage and the bolt broke on his. He did not notice a thing until his Harmonic balancer broke. No parts store anywhere or the dealers could get a harmonic balancer. He finally was able to find one in a scrap yard in Queens NY after three or four weeks of searching.

Being cautious. I pulled the radiator and all out of my Sportage just to check it. The factory bolt in mine had been replaced by a recall bolt so I can not say it it had broke at one point or was just replaced by the recall. I removed the bolt and took it to Fastenal and bought a regular Grade 8 bolt and a flat washer along with six new Grade 8 bolts for the harmonic balancer and replaced them all.

I am not trying to scare you. Just wanted to let you know and maybe want to have it checked out. For those 7 bolts and a washer cost me far less than it would have if the bolt broke and everything came apart and tore a bunch of things up.

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:This is the bolt that holds the Camshaft to the crank

That just does not sound right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    quote:This is the bolt that holds the Camshaft to the crank

That just does not sound right.

That was suppose to be the Camshaft/crankshaft pulley.

I have never heard of a Crankshaft or Camshaft pulley until I started researching KIA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve45
    He means holds the harmonic balancer to the crank.

No. This bolt only holds the Camshaft pulley to the crankshaft.

The Harmonic Balancer bolts directly to the Camshaft pulley using six small bolts.

Harmonic balancer.
    rb594295_1.jpg

Drawing of the Cam/crankshaft pulley setup.

Align.jpg
  • Options
    UNIVERSITY50UNIVERSITY50 Member Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Her car is a 2009 Spectra. Our neighbor two doors down is a KIA mechanic, I will ask him about this. I had him look this one over at the dealership before she got it. He made sure everything was up to date and in good condition before we took this one.
    Thanks
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just an FYI, but domestic auto makers use grade 9+ bolts to fasten the harmonic damper to the crank snout.

Now I know why Chrysler bench-marked KIA's 4 cylinder assembly methods.