In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Llama MiniMax Rant

BigGun74BigGun74 Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in General Discussion
I just bought a MinMax 45 sub-compact.I'd heard all the stories of poor craftmanship and reliability problems with this brand, but most of these problems seemed to be solved with breaking in and polishing the feed ramp. With a lifetime warranty, a warranty repair center in my state, and price tag of $260.00 for a "10" round (more like eight in practice) .45 ACP I figured it was worth a chance. After all the 1911 design has been around for nearly 100 years. How can you mess it up. Got to the range and had all the jamming problems I'd heard about. Then on round 97 (all factory ammo) the little meanie locks up midway through extraction. I mean the thing locked up tight with a spent casing halfway in the chamber. The slide won't budge. It was like every moving part on the gun was welded into place. The range gunsmith and my certified gun nut friends all say they have never seen anything like it on any gun EVER! This is after four days and only 97 rounds. So off it goes for warranty work. $25.00 for FedEx on top of $276.00 (cost after tax) brings cost for the gun up to $300, assuming no more trips to the gunsmith (unlikely). So I'm at the bookstore reading a gun magazine and find out that Glock is giving a military discount to all active and reserve service members (I'm in the reserves). Apparently the Law Enfocement Division of Glock is offering the law enforcment price to service members. Called Glock and they quoted me $398.20 for a new G27 as long as I bought from an LE dealer. Guess my Llama's going to trade in as soon as it gets back from the Gunsmith. Assuming I can get full value (extremely unlikely) I am going to end up spending an extra $25.00 (at least) rather than saving a money on a compact carry gun. Moral of the story is that cheap is never really a savings in the end and if you shop around and pay attention you can find a name brand gun at a reasonable price. I least I found out at the range and not real life.

Comments

• Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Let me be the first to welcome you to the forums, pull up a chair, put on your waders, and maybe bring a snorkel. Sorry for the bad luck you had with that Llama and congrats on the GLOCK deal.

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

star_wars_kid.gif
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok...calling Glock tomorrow. I didn't know they were offering me this. I want a G36.
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    Idsman. Try out the 36 you want before buying. Unless you have small hands, you might not care for it. I owned one and my hands were uncomfortable with the narrow frame. I ended up trading it for a mod26 that fits my hand better.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not bad for a first post!

Heck, I may have to check into that deal. (Im not a glock fan though)

jumpmaster.bmp
  • Options
    carson0384carson0384 Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Llama Mini Max .45 and HATED it. The trigger wouldn't pull when I wanted it to and it misfired twice with good ammo. I sold it to a guy who offered me 350.00 (i guess because it was shiney he liked it) and went and bought a S&W .40VE Sigma Series. I'm glad I made that Trade!

"Guns don'y kill people, husbands who come home early do." -Larry the Cable Guy
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I should have read this Yesterday,[:D]

anyone have a .45 minimax sub-compact extractor laying around?