In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tire & Wheel sets

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in General Discussion
Anybody know of any places where you can order Light Truck/SUV Tire & Wheel Packages for a decent price? I am going to get some winter tires and a cheap set of steel wheels for my Vue for the Winter. I have checked Tirerack.com, just wondering if you guys have any other suggestions?

Jon

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Check Pep Boys or Les Shwab
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,486 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2nd for Les Schwab. They sell U.S. made 'Deans' tires for LT/SUV. Great tire, great price, and typically have reasonable prices for and a large selection of wheels.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aspen79se
    Sears.

Sears' prices are rediculous...

Look no further than Tirerack or Discount tire.

I bought Pirelli's from Tirerack for $102/ea. Sears had them listed at $287/ea.

They offer wheel and tire packages with all different prices. Mounted, balances, Nitrogen filled, and shipped to you with awesome customer service!
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank you for calling them what they are

it torques me the wrong way when people call them "rims" If you are not a gang banger looser then they are wheels

maybe JC whitney ???

wheel and tires aren't cheap and if you have to pay for shipping forget it

again thanks [:D]
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Odawgp

it torques me the wrong way when people call them "rims" If you are not a gang banger looser then they are wheels

maybe JC whitney ???

Ha, so you think.

I had all four tires shipped to me the next day for $38, less than $10/tire.

Just look at Tirerack, you'll be glad you did.

You'll save hundreds
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check your local junkyard usually good place to get used wheels, wouldn't trust the tires though.
  • Options
    rovrmanrovrman Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree....TIRERACK.com is the only place to go.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Tirerack salesman told me they do Roadforce Balancing on wheel/tire combos.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Ha, so you think.

You'll save hundreds

And to add to that, they are still substantially cheaper then anyone round here anyways.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:thank you for calling them what they are

maybe JC whitney ???

Drives me nuts as well. Just like when people call mags "clips" instead.

Jon
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    If you buy them online who does your balancing and rotatation? when I buy them local they rotate and balance free for lifetime of tire.40 bucks every 5000 miles would seem to outweigh initial savings to me.we have a discount tire local here that is good prices
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:If you buy them online who does your balancing and rotatation? when I buy them local they rotate and balance free for lifetime of tire.40 bucks every 5000 miles would seem to outweigh initial savings to me.we have a discount tire local here that is good prices

Unless the tires come with free rotation, I have always rotated my own tires.

Jon
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover

maybe JC whitney ???

Ha, so you think.

You'll save hundreds

Yep, I have used tirerack for years. The shipping is amazingly low cost and fast. The last set I bought was for my wifes car, local best price I could get was at a Neal Tire for $200/tire, and tirerack had a better set of tires for $138 shipped. I've got several shops nearby that install a tire you bring in for the same cost of installation if you had bought from them.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bhale187
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover

maybe JC whitney ???

Ha, so you think.

You'll save hundreds

Yep, I have used tirerack for years. The shipping is amazingly low cost and fast. The last set I bought was for my wifes car, local best price I could get was at a Neal Tire for $200/tire, and tirerack had a better set of tires for $138 shipped. I've got several shops nearby that install a tire you bring in for the same cost of installation if you had bought from them.

Around here if you don't buy the tires from the tire shops you are SOL

most will not mount a "new" tire that you didn't buy from them.. One guy quoted me 55 dollars a wheel to mount tires I already had

Its 65 - 75 miles to the next nearest tire shop figure in gas and mounting it was 35 bucks a tire and no warranty besides the manufactures which tire shops in my area won't honor if the tires were bought elsewhere

It would be nice to have tirerack.com as an option but it simply doesn't make sense or save much $$ to buy outside of the valley at least not here
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I learned to call them Rims from watching Nascar and reading HotRod magazine, and the occasional "Van Gathering" when I was a kid in the 70's.