In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Do you believe..and if you do...

telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in General Discussion
Ok this is a two part issue on the lighter side..if you believe.

First off Do you believe in The legendary Bigfoot, Sasquatch, or whatever its been called over the years?

The second part of this is what firearms/equipment would you hunt/track etc. it with?

First of all I'm not sure if I believe that it is real or not. Yes there are hundreds of sightings every year from around the world but no real conclusive anything! My issue with its existance is this... there are hundreds of so called "hunters" out there that shoot first and ask questions later, not knowing what it was that they were truly shooting at. I find it hard to believe that one of these "hunters" hasnt used his .375 H&H mag deer rifle and blown away one of these alleged creatures.

My second part of this is..if I were to hunt one of these things I would probably bring a Marlin lever action .45-70 in a scout rifle setup with some serious ammo. For a handgun backup I would carry one of the Ruger Alaskan revolvers in .454 or something similar.

Thats on top of all the NV and FLIR equipment as these things tend to be nocturnal.

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    If I encountered a BF, I would want a BF gun.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Don't know if I believe in it or not. Reckon a 45/70 ought to do the job, but it would be infinatly more interesting to capture one alive.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No I do not believe in Big-foot, (except for my son, sz 15 shoes)

If big foot were real somebody would have found his poop by now. Each animal has distinctive poop, big animal, big poop. No big foot poop, no big foot.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well since I live in his backyard I'm required by mandate to believe in him, why else would they pass a law making it a felony to kill one?

quote:Skamania County, Washington passed a law regarding Bigfoot in 1969 declaring that "any willful, wanton slaying of such creatures shall be deemed a felony" subject to substantial fine and/or imprisonment. The fact that this legislation was passed on April 1 did not escape notice, but County Commissioner Conrad Lundy said that "this is not an April Fool's Day joke ... there is reason to believe such an animal exists."[32] Hunter and Dahinden mention their own "speculation that Skamania County authorities had their ears tuned much more to the music of a publicity bandwagon than to any song of distress" for Bigfoot.[33] Notwithstanding, the ordinance was amended in 1984 to preclude an insanity defense and to consider such a killing homicide if the creature was proven by the coroner to be humanoid.[34]

In response to Al Magnussen from the Mt. Baker Chamber of Commerce, Whatcom County, Washington, an Agenda Bill was drafted (92-247) on 6/9/91, which unanimously passed a resolution declaring Whatcom County a Sasquatch Protection and Refuge Area.[35]

As far as a weapon to kill one I would prefer something of at least of one ton with a brush guard to protect the grill.
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .30-06 and bigger. Big critter = big gun.

I don't believe it exists.
  • Options
    telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For now its not illegal in Oregon to kill one..but just in case the phrase " I was in fear for my life!!!" should help your case.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not one hundred percent convinced they don't exist, but I am one hundred percent convinced all the evidence I've seen that they do exist is a con.

Assuming they do exist, according to all the footprints their big toe lies alongside the other four toes. That makes them human. That means killing one, other than self defense, would morally if not legally be murder.

I wouldn't want to intentionally kill one.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK

Assuming they do exist, according to all the footprints their big toe lies alongside the other four toes. That makes them human. That means killing one, other than self defense, would morally if not legally be murder.

Even if you're a Ret. Col. pharmacist?
  • Options
    NiccoHelNiccoHel Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, if I'm going to be hunting a mythical creature, I want to be equipped with a mythical rifle.

Let me think for a second...

Okay, I want a 50 cal square bore.

Or triangular bore.

Either one.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by telohf
    The second part of this is what firearms/equipment would you hunt/track etc. it with?The third part is what would a "hunter" use for bait [?] [}:)]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of all, why would you even want to hunt one, if they do exist?

Has there ever been a reported incident where they have even approched a human with the intent to harm?

Just because you could kill one what would be the point?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    quote:Originally posted by telohf
    The second part of this is what firearms/equipment would you hunt/track etc. it with?The third part is what would a "hunter" use for bait [?] [}:)]

Apparently beef jerky. Jack Links beef jerky.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NiccoHel

[:D] [:D] [:D]

I like those commercials. [:)]
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I've never been mad enough at one to want to shoot him. If one did upset me I'd probably use a mouse gun. Heard, like elephants, they're afraid of mice.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no big foot. some fools spent a weekend on my dad's place setting up nerd camp and nerd cameras and night vision cameras and I admit they had some impressive equipment, but they found NUTTIN'!!!

I compare them to storm chasers in the nerd dept, you know a tad nerdier than study-a-holic, and not quite as nerdy as the nerd heard, or geek squad. whatever those guys at best buy call themselves...

If I did happen to run into a big foot, i hope I have my 7 mag or an ar with 30 rounds of hollow point or tracer ammo. And hope like hell he is flamable.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd rather kill a Hodag, they wood make mince meat out of big foot.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    night vision and a good camera......big telephoto...play yanni recordings from loudpeakers with live traps all around
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Corn Monkey, yes

Bigfoot, no
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NiccoHel

[:D] [:D] [:D]

I like those commercials. [:)]

[:D]
    Me too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If we could only get cccooper in here to claim it looks like a revolution...

Sigh.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    night vision and a good camera......big telephoto...play yanni recordings from loudpeakers with live traps all around

Oh, you were there?
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friends don't shoot kinfolk.
  • Options
    odenthevikingodentheviking Member Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, so if Bigfoot is all just a fake..... then how come no one in a Monkey suit, running around the woods, has been shot yet?

There is an old gold mining area close to where I grew up, Goldvein, Virginia. Alot of the land around there is several hunting clubs for deer and turkey. During the summer months the hunt club lets folks use metal detectors looking for gold and Civil War relics. Almost every year there is a Bigfoot sighting, but never during hunting season or the pre-season scouting. And I have never heard of someone getting a picture of a BF.........why is that??????
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My MIL is bigfoot...
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Bigfoot is nonsense. However, the Abominable Snowman (Yeti) has some basis in fact:

Ever hear of 'freezing brain syndrome'? No? Well, it's probably available if one would care to google the symptoms. Anyways, what happens is the core temperature of the brain, when dropped below a certain value, allows for irrational judgement/hallucination.

Many Yukon gold prospectors were afflicted with this malady in the late nineteenth century. Certainly the Himalyans' could have been so afflicted, also. Really cold temperatures, and...VOILA!! Yeti saunters by!

On the same token, do any of you realize that there are at least eleven Scots' Whiskey distilleries on the bluffs above Loch Ness?

Comparison, anyone?

[:0]
    Joe
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone that's hunted the deep woods or night hunted very much has probably seen a number of things that are unexplainable; whether it's Bigfoot, Sasquatch, or the Legend of Boggy Creek "Fouke Monster". I can tell you for a fact that the "Fouke Monster" is real! [:)]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good grief.[V]
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do shoot a big foot...how long do you have to hang him and age him before you make sausage and such..
  • Options
    ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    The Hodag would kick Bigfoot's *!
    Tom[:)]
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    big-foot-truck.jpg

[?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?]

Why would you hunt a truck? I'd rather just drive it.

If your talking about the critter, I'd probably use a .30-06 with a 180 gr. round or bigger.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a buddy that worked for a logging outfit here in Oregon and one Monday morning when they got back to the woods they found some damage to some of their equipment. There were a couple of 1" hydraulic lines that had been torn off one of the loaders. The lines had been physically ripped loose from the fittings. The boss snapped a few pictures and while they were looking for more damage somebody noticed some tracks. They got pictures of the tracks with an axe laid alongside for comparison. They looked kinda like human footprints but they had to be nearly 18" long! Now I'm not saying I believe in 'em, but it certainly makes a fella wonder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't eighteen inches be a foot and a half print?
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod

I would rather have a VBF gun.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't eighteen inches be a foot and a half print?

Yes, technically speaking, I suppose it would![:)]
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    Well since I live in his backyard I'm required by mandate to believe in him, why else would they pass a law making it a felony to kill one?

quote:Skamania County, Washington passed a law regarding Bigfoot in 1969 declaring that "any willful, wanton slaying of such creatures shall be deemed a felony" subject to substantial fine and/or imprisonment. The fact that this legislation was passed on April 1 did not escape notice, but County Commissioner Conrad Lundy said that "this is not an April Fool's Day joke ... there is reason to believe such an animal exists."[32] Hunter and Dahinden mention their own "speculation that Skamania County authorities had their ears tuned much more to the music of a publicity bandwagon than to any song of distress" for Bigfoot.[33] Notwithstanding, the ordinance was amended in 1984 to preclude an insanity defense and to consider such a killing homicide if the creature was proven by the coroner to be humanoid.[34]

In response to Al Magnussen from the Mt. Baker Chamber of Commerce, Whatcom County, Washington, an Agenda Bill was drafted (92-247) on 6/9/91, which unanimously passed a resolution declaring Whatcom County a Sasquatch Protection and Refuge Area.[35]

As far as a weapon to kill one I would prefer something of at least of one ton with a brush guard to protect the grill.
    Can't top that one! Very good! [;)]
  • Options
    texdottexdot Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe...but I'd want whatever would kill a bear.

A 12 gauge on my back, a .45 on my hip, and a .30-06 rifle in my hands.

And I'm only choosing those since those are the guns I already own and I'm good with them (or at least accurate).
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MaxOHMS
    quote:Originally posted by cartod

I would rather have a VBF gun.
    how about a BFR?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    YUKONYUKON Member Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭