In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How do you run your business???

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
Food for thought.

Confronting Your Industry Culture
TGIF Today God Is First Volume 2 by Os Hillman
Sunday, August 30 2009

"Jesus entered the temple area and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. "It is written," he said to them, 'My house will be called a house of prayer, but you are making it a den of robbers'" (Matt 21:12-13).

Sometimes a corporate culture dictates the way business is conducted because it was established years before. We simply inherit whatever the accepted practice is. Some of these practices violate a biblical principle. For instance, some businesses withhold payment on invoices for sixty, ninety or one hundred twenty days as a form of cash management, which places a heavy burden on suppliers. Some government custom's employees require a bribe in order to get your product into their country. One nation thinks nothing about their practice of software piracy because it has simply become a part of their culture.

God never allows for situational ethics. There are absolutes in the Kingdom of God. The Word of God does not change because of culture or accepted practice.

It was an "industry practice" to sell doves in the temple. But Jesus never accepted the practice because he knew it was turning a holy place of prayer into a commercial enterprise. It did not matter that it was an accepted practice.

God calls each of us to operate from a plumb line of righteousness in our work life, no matter the consequence. Zerubbabel led the first band of Jews, numbering 42,360, who returned from the Babylonian Captivity in the first year of Cyrus, King of Persia (Ezra). Zerubbabel is also noted for laying the foundation of the second temple in Jerusalem the next year. He was a leader who managed with integrity and righteousness. He was a man who God and others wanted in charge. "Men will rejoice when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel" (Zech 4:10).

Evaluate your industry practices and make sure you are not violating God's Word. Let your plumb line be measured by His precepts.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My business violates God's word every day.

I do not say that smugly, just knowing how things are run, vs. Eric's posting of absolutes.

I respectfully disagree, Eric.

I think for the most part if your run your business like that, you will be eaten alive (at least in the plumbing & heating wholesale industry you will).

Not saying it's right, just saying that's the way it is.

P.S. I am not the owner, just the hired help.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    When I had my own business, I tried to treat all fair and square, cheated no man.

Now work for for someone else and it distresses me to see the lying, cheating, gouging and stealing going on around me. President of the company is a good straight up person but a lot of the folks between him and me sure the heck are not.

Thinking to make a break and go into business for myself again, hard to see the gings on and not have something to say to the thieves and crooks.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When it comes to the culture workplace, you either create the workplace culture or someone else will. Why do you think someplaces are adventures in babysitting? Someone else is creating the culture.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    We are capitalists...like it is a dirty word...This is a dirty business. We don't screw anyone, but think twice about screwing us..
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im lucky enough to have multiple location business that more or less runs itself. Good folks frequent both so other than maintenance, cleaning and money gathering, no issues. A business must be run with firm rules, fair play, and friendly service.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A J Christ
    When I had my own business, I tried to treat all fair and square, cheated no man.

Now work for for someone else and it distresses me to see the lying, cheating, gouging and stealing going on around me. President of the company is a good straight up person but a lot of the folks between him and me sure the heck are not.

Thinking to make a break and go into business for myself again, hard to see the gings on and not have something to say to the thieves and crooks.

I can relate...I tried sales when I had to give up my construction company...I could not deal with the deceit.
    edited November -1
    I'll ramble more on this later.

Thank you ECC
    edited November -1
    This was my commentary last night at work

The workplace cutlure is made by somebody. Either I make it or somebody else interal, on the shift, or external will create it or at least influence the culture on my shift. If somebody else makes it, I am designating myself to react to the culture. Leaders setout to create their own culture on their on their shift, in their department or in their plants.

Others merely react to the culture being made. These foremen, supervisors, and other managers are just reacting and putting out fires. Some might even call it "adventures in babysitting". They let others create the culture and they let the culture manage them.

The question we need to ask ourselves is "What is a Wellness Cultures?" and "What am I doing to create it and advance it in my department?"

I better tone it down with the commentary. It's not wise to say what you think in a corporation.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jesus didn't like them selling Doves. But he absolutly hated what they did after they sold them.