In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

my pick of photo editing software

buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in General Discussion
I used to use Photoshop. but I always wanted something simpler and less bloated.

tried Paint Shop Pro. I liked it better than PhotoShop, but it still wasn't as simple and lightweight as I wanted. every version got more bloated. last version I used had a 650 Mb installation CD.

Gimp and IrfanView weren't really better than PSP. they were freeware, and smaller, but too messy and sort of ugly looking.

MS Paint was simple, but clumsy to use and didn't have enough features. when Windows 7 came out it had Paint, that was a lot better, but not enough features and doesn't work in XP.

what I use now, and recommend, is a freeware program called PhotoFiltre. been around since 2005. I wish I would have heard about it years ago.

pros: it's lightweight at 10 Mb, doesn't require installation (just unzip into a folder), has most of the features of Photoshop and PSP, and is super easy and quick to use.

cons: it doesn't use layers and you can't change the buttons around on the menu bar. I don't care about that.

when working on an image, 90% of the time you only need to crop, resize, or change the canvas size. PhotoFiltre puts all that right there when you right-click so it's super fast. ctrl-S (save) and ctrl-W (close) and it's done, closed, you're on to the next picture.

it has separate plugins for fisheye lens correction, histogram, red-eye removal, and a few more.

http://www.photofiltre.com

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    cool, I've had similar thoughts about the others. Does this one handle vector file formats like DXF?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I downloaded IMGUR. Just works good after got all pics in it [;)]
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My own personal favorite is PaintShopPro. It has served me well for many years.
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Paint Shop Pro for awhile; but, I kept having some problems with it which was blamed on the software having "bugs". I prefer Photoshop; but, it is not user friendly. I spend quite a bit of time composing and designing "html" pages for various eBay ads using different software that I have. I have used Gimp for tasks that I couldn't figure out on Photoshop.

I have spent the last 2-3 weeks writing an ad for my Camry to place on eBay. Waiting for a pretty day to take photographs.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    cool, I've had similar thoughts about the others. Does this one handle vector file formats like DXF?

I don't think so, because I took a look at the "save as..." dialog box and the options are bmp, gif, jpg, jpeg, jpe, jfif, png, rle, tga, tif, and tiff.

if it doesn't save as .dxf it probably won't open .dxf either.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saved it. Thank you for the web page. Oak
  • scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome back busch! Did you clean that fridge yet?
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I cleaned it back in 2009? I forgot when