In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

tires and "severe" snow question

northern militianorthern militia Member Posts: 552 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
the tire rack store has some snow tires i'm interested in, but they say NOT FOR SEVERE SNOW...what is severe? 6" a foot? i live in vermont in the green mountains, we get storms of all sizes. if it is over 6-8" i usally wait til the plow truck comes. can someone explain what they are talking about.thanks haig

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,376 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Don't know for sure, but I would buy them if it was me.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Look at the tread design. If it is NOT the type that will throw the snow out of the grooves, might explain why.

Snow tires should be agressive. Like a "mudding" tire, only on a smaller and narrower scale.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i used to use BFG mud terrain, but i had some slip and slide on hard packed snow. i'm looking at general grabbers and studding them..this will be going on a 4 door tacoma 4x4.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by northern militia
    i used to use BFG mud terrain, but i had some slip and slide on hard packed snow. i'm looking at general grabbers and studding them..this will be going on a 4 door tacoma 4x4.

Why not buy tires that allready have studs installed?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    these tires are studdable and i can do it for free at a friends shop, save me like $60-70.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    these tires are studdable and i can do it for free at a friends shop, save me like $60-70.

The tires I was speaking of, have the studs built into the tire from the factory. Perhaps we are speaking of the same thing?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i think i will get them, thanks for your help..
  • Options
    edited November -1

My BFG MT's do extremely well in the snow...if you want additional traction, have them siped...just do not have the outside lugs siped.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can't see the stripes in the mall parking lot, let the wife drive.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best studded snow tires are the Nokian Hakkapeliitta.
    Made in Finland.
    They are made for severe snow.
    They will cost more than what you are buying, your choice, the best costs more.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    Look at the tread design. If it is NOT the type that will throw the snow out of the grooves, might explain why.

Snow tires should be agressive. Like a "mudding" tire, only on a smaller and narrower scale.

Snow tires keep snow in their tread. The snow in the tread is what grips the snow on the ground.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Nitto Terra Grapplers.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Severe is anything over 6 inches in a 24 hour period. I have Firestone Destination A/T. Works for me...
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 4 sets of big O XT's 2 sets studded and 2 not Great tires
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    quote:Originally posted by freemind

Snow tires keep snow in their tread. The snow in the tread is what grips the snow on the ground.

LOL, ok.

I am gonna try slicks this winter then. [:I]

Snow tires are supposed to dig/grip. If your tread is packed full of snow, it acts like a slick. Same thing with a "mud" tire. If treads are PACKED, they can't dig.

Studded tires/chains get grip on ICY ground by breaking into the ice and getting grip.
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    I used armstrong trutrack, it works great
    later on the norseman replaced them.
    the same tread pattern, dick cepek fun coutry II
    I have used them in deep snow, I liked them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HobbyGuy
    I'm a fan of the Yokohama "Geolander II's" and have them on my Chevy. [^]

Jim

I am a bigger fan of a John deere 9120 or 8420 with Degelman blades on the front. Never gets stuck in the snow. [;)][:D]
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the tire rack store has some snow tires i'm interested in, but they say NOT FOR SEVERE SNOW...what is severe? 6" a foot? i live in vermont in the green mountains, we get storms of all sizes. if it is over 6-8" i usally wait til the plow truck comes. can someone explain what they are talking about.thanks haig
    anything that gets u in a wreck and gets them sued.