In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Boycott Dick?s Sporting Goods Stores

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
This corporate company is no friend to the second amendment! One word here

Boycott

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/business/dicks-major-gun-retailer-will-stop-selling-assault-style-rifles.htm

One of the nation?s largest sports retailers, Dick?s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday that it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't buy anything from them anyways, most the prices are outrageous at big box sporting goods stores, especially on guns.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Permanently boycott.
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    never been to one...so guess boycotting since their existence
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shilowar-No truer words have been spoken[;)]
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A young person who has a parent for a lawyer could sue the crap out of Dicks for not selling to them.

Federal law currently states that anyone at least 18 years of age and not prohibited by law from purchasing or possessing a firearm may do so.

To arbitrarily state this, they have made a clear statement that they are engaged in age discrimination as the sole basis for the reason to refuse a sale. I would think this would be a violation of federal and state commerce clauses.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought they did that a few years back in response to another shooting??
  • Options
    mike_02mike_02 Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dick's owns Field & Stream also.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I understand it, all you have to do, to do "your part", is order a bunch of stuff from them, and when it arrives, tell them you "forgot your wallet", and walk away. Hey, if it works for "buckstars", wouldn't it work for Dick's?
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    us55840
    here is the part of their statement

Beginning today, DICK'S Sporting Goods is committed to the following:

We will no longer sell assault-style rifles, also referred to as modern sporting rifles. We had already removed them from all DICK'S stores after the Sandy Hook massacre, but we will now remove them from sale at all 35 Field & Stream stores.

We will no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age.
    We will no longer sell high capacity magazines.
    We never have and never will sell bump stocks that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire more rapidly.
    At the same time, we implore our elected officials to enact common sense gun reform and pass the following regulations:

Ban assault-style firearms
    Raise the minimum age to purchase firearms to 21
    Ban high capacity magazines and bump stocks
    Require universal background checks that include relevant mental health information and previous interactions with the law
    Ensure a complete universal database of those banned from buying firearms
    Close the private sale and gun show loophole that waives the necessity of background checks
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like falling on their own sword.
    I won't ever get close to one of their stores. The stench of the DEMOCRAT party will overcome anyone nearby.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I boycotted them the first time they stopped selling ARs years ago, even refusing to deliver guns to people who had ordered them. Then they bought Field and Stream when business fell off. They sold ARs there. When they brought them back to Dick's, I still didn't shop there any more and never will again. And I really did shop there. Bought a shotgun there, fishing gear, clothing, golf clubs, camping gear, shoes and boots. Shopped there every Christmas.They lost a real customer in me and my family. Lost for good.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bowing to the alter of political correctness must come easy to these spineless liberals .Lost my business a while back
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid
    Permanently boycott.

+1
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Retail gun sales are in the tank anyway at big box stores already. Won't cost them much but getting huge PR boost that will appeal to libs. Just a calculated move to tick off folks not shopping there much anyway in exchange for great PR to the tree hugging crowd.

So they are saying they don't need my/our business. Least we can do is accommodate their wishes and never again set foot in their stores. Works for me.
  • Options
    jkbt1jkbt1 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone should have been boycotting them for years already. Maybe 15 years back , give or take , the CEO made a statement that nobody (private individual) should be able to own a handgun. I haven't been in one since.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dicks sucks anyway. Def boycott.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll make a note to remember this boycott in case I ever need some skateboard yoga clothes.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by riflemike
    never been to one...so guess boycotting since their existence

+1
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    cavman 69cavman 69 Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know they exist anyway with their prices. screw them, got no reason to go there anyway.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never been in one, never will.
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Dick's is not a gun store. It's a store for buying soccer balls and jock itch ointment.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    Dicks sucks anyway. Def boycott.

DICKS

Now their name fits them appropriately.[:D]

Never been to one or their stores and never will now for sure.

NRA Member
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget to boycott Sear's & all the other stores that stopped selling guns. Add in all the hardware stores & auto parts stores. That horse left the barn a LONG time ago.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    Don't forget to boycott Sear's & all the other stores that stopped selling guns. Add in all the hardware stores & auto parts stores. That horse left the barn a LONG time ago.

Now it's the wolf in the hen-house and your gun rights are getting eaten before your eyes!

serf
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been boycotting them for years & didn't know it.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago when they sold used guns I bought from them.
    Now they can kiss my @ss.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went into one when they first came here about 10 years ago haven?t been in one since
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, they have camping equipment, all the various college and professional team clothing and such, shoes and boots, exercising equipment, golf clubs and all that plus fishing and shooting stuff, bows and everything that you need for that. Name a sport and they probably had everything you need for that. I liked the stores until the stupid AR15 banning started. Haven't been in one since.
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who goes there anyhow? A T shirt costs $40
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,484 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by medic07
    us55840
    here is the part of their statement

Beginning today, DICK'S Sporting Goods is committed to the following:

We will no longer sell assault-style rifles, also referred to as modern sporting rifles. We had already removed them from all DICK'S stores after the Sandy Hook massacre, but we will now remove them from sale at all 35 Field & Stream stores.

We will no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age.
    We will no longer sell high capacity magazines.
    We never have and never will sell bump stocks that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire more rapidly.
    At the same time, we implore our elected officials to enact common sense gun reform and pass the following regulations:

Ban assault-style firearms
    Raise the minimum age to purchase firearms to 21
    Ban high capacity magazines and bump stocks
    Require universal background checks that include relevant mental health information and previous interactions with the law
    Ensure a complete universal database of those banned from buying firearms
    Close the private sale and gun show loophole that waives the necessity of background checks

I don't have a problem if a company decides it no longer wants to sell something or even put in an age limit for some of the items it sells. (A discrimination suit would be interesting, but in this case seems improbable.)

I am no fan, however, of a company that makes a corporate decision and then becomes a political activist with the goal to limit my freedom.

I have bought golf clubs from Dick's in the past, and had they stuck to doing what they felt was right for them, may have done so again. Their decision to go that extra step, however, has ensured that I will never darken their doorways again.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    fYeqlqIl.jpg

[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't like a certain store fine, and don't want to shop that store fine too. But this whole boycott thing is silly, just saying.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Before Sandy Hook I tried to shop there. Was at the gun counter and asked the guy if he has a certain type of ammo. He told me if you do not see it we do not have it. They had it behind them in a locked cabinet with most labels as to caliber not visible.

Rifles were in the same location most had their tags facing the other way. They would not tell me when asked about a rifle what caliber it was.

Have not been back.

Also noticed that most of the other stuff there was made in China and of lower Quality than WalMart.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nards444
    If you don't like a certain store fine, and don't want to shop that store fine too. But this whole boycott thing is silly, just saying.

You just contradicted yourself, boycotting IS.. not shopping there... Just saying

It's not like we're going to vandalize the place or picket the place or block the customers that will shop there from going in. That's the kind of silly crap that liberals do, and we're not destructive like liberals... We're just boycotting the place. Which is nothing more then not shopping there. And letting people know why so that they can make up their own minds if they want to patronize place or not...

What do you think boycott means?
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    quote:Originally posted by nards444

You just contradicted yourself, boycotting IS.. not shopping there... Just saying

It's not like we're going to vandalize the place or picket the place or block the customers that will shop there from going in. That's the kind of silly crap that liberals do, and we're not destructive like liberals... We're just boycotting the place. Which is nothing more then not shopping there. And letting people know why so that they can make up their own minds if they want to patronize place or not...

What do you think boycott means?

Its all silly, making a public statement advocating for other jumping on board is stupid. If you desire to not shop there for one reason or another fine, keep it to yourself and move on.