In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Opinions please!

JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
I ran this morning into a Smith and Wesson 19 ("-2" if I recall) in blue and 5" bbl; asking price $249 + tax.

It has got rust scales all over, and as far as I could tell, no pitting.

In it's actual condition, is it worth $249? Is the rust something I can restore myself? Is it worthy of a professional reblue job for an extra $200?

Thanks all for your opinions.

Comments

• TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    You sure about that barrel length?

19's came with 2 1/2, 4 and 6 inch barrels, but never a 5.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...The ones Ive seen for the last 6 months or so, all the barrel lengths have been selling for $375 to $600. Of course the better the condition the higher end...around $500 and up the really nice ones can be found...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe you're right.

Probably a 6".
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    If it's just surface rust and no pitting that's nothing an old penny and some dreaded WD-40 cant take care of. The copper penny is harder than the rust and the bluing is harder than the copper. Just rub it with the penny while it's soaked with the WD-40.
  • VirgilCaineVirgilCaine Member Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For 50 to 100 bucks more, you should be able to find a nice original gun.
  • cwi555cwi555 Member Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Polite Psycho
    I ran this morning into a Smith and Wesson 19 ("-2" if I recall) in blue and 5" bbl; asking price $249 + tax.

It has got rust scales all over, and as far as I could tell, no pitting.

In it's actual condition, is it worth $249? Is the rust something I can restore myself? Is it worthy of a professional reblue job for an extra $200?

Thanks all for your opinions.

Keep in mind, I don't know the specific model and have not owned it.
    If it's mechanically sound, the rust isn't a problem as long as there is no pitting. We could probably give you a better idea if you post pictures.
  • Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    Also remember if the pistol gets any collectors value in its lifetime it will be lost with a re-bluing job done to it.
    Only in the worst cases when the value is already lost should you do that.
    Follow the instruction others have already chimed in on to get it back to some sort of beauty.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another good thing to clean a rusty gun with is the silver "springy" kitchen metal scrubby pads.....they will not hurt the blue and will take the rust.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all fine gentlemen - and ladies - for your advise.

I'll pass on this sale.
  • cwi555cwi555 Member Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    Another good thing to clean a rusty gun with is the silver "springy" kitchen metal scrubby pads.....they will not hurt the blue and will take the rust.

bronze wool as sold in weld supply stores works wonders as well.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue Wonder Cleaner and Rust Remover and some fine steel wool works really good and won't hurt bluing.