.

Pic that speaks 1000 words

SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
377534_10150516052568833_313234108832_10772421_1355533337_n.jpg

This is the artists description of the picture:
On a cold December day, veterans of the Battle of the Bulge reunite at the American cemetery in Luxembourg. Here, guarded by tall pines, rest the mortal remains of some 5,000 American boys who died fighting to liberate Europe. As the veterans reflect amidst the gently falling snow, their welling emotions confirm their often-stated belief: "The real heroes never came home." Here, they feel a presence, a warmth amidst the cold. Something tells them they are not alone and this silent reunion is not the last.

Comments

  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,424
    edited November -1
    Beautiful picture.

    The guy with the crutches looks like the real Bill Guarnere from Band of Brothers.
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656
    edited November -1
    Outstanding picture.

    Thanks for sharing.
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Yes he does! It could be..quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    Beautiful picture.

    The guy with the crutches looks like the real Bill Guarnere from Band of Brothers.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Touching picture, SG. Thanks.
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SG
    377534_10150516052568833_313234108832_10772421_1355533337_n.jpg

    This is the artists description of the picture:
    On a cold December day, veterans of the Battle of the Bulge reunite at the American cemetery in Luxembourg. Here, guarded by tall pines, rest the mortal remains of some 5,000 American boys who died fighting to liberate Europe. As the veterans reflect amidst the gently falling snow, their welling emotions confirm their often-stated belief: "The real heroes never came home." Here, they feel a presence, a warmth amidst the cold. Something tells them they are not alone and this silent reunion is not the last.




    said it before. will say it till I die: if our soldiers today were allowed to 'fight' as these gentlemen did, from Vietnam on, with the simple premise of 'kill the enemy', thousands of our guys would still be around. These men are truly 'the greatest generation'
  • drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SG
    Yes he does! It could be..quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    Beautiful picture.

    The guy with the crutches looks like the real Bill Guarnere from Band of Brothers.

    Dick Winters (kneeling), Babe Heffron (hand on his shoulder), Bill Guarnere (crutches), and Shifty Powers(far left).http://www.paintpop.com/gallery/band_of_brothers
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great Post and how many have forgotten what they gave their lives for.
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,537 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for sharing
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,604 ******
    edited November -1
    Very moving. I have this one hanging on my wall.

    reflection.jpg
  • fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SG, Spider, Thank you for sharing those.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those are both very powerful and moving pictures. Thanks for sharing.







    Damn, got something in my eye.
  • BoskettiBosketti Member Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxmike_2
    quote:Originally posted by SG
    377534_10150516052568833_313234108832_10772421_1355533337_n.jpg

    This is the artists description of the picture:
    On a cold December day, veterans of the Battle of the Bulge reunite at the American cemetery in Luxembourg. Here, guarded by tall pines, rest the mortal remains of some 5,000 American boys who died fighting to liberate Europe. As the veterans reflect amidst the gently falling snow, their welling emotions confirm their often-stated belief: "The real heroes never came home." Here, they feel a presence, a warmth amidst the cold. Something tells them they are not alone and this silent reunion is not the last.




    said it before. will say it till I die: if our soldiers today were allowed to 'fight' as these gentlemen did, from Vietnam Korea on, with the simple premise of 'kill the enemy', thousands of our guys would still be around. These men are truly 'the greatest generation'

    Fixed it for you.
  • Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Great picture, when the traveling wall was in our area I couldnt tear myself away from it. The wall is amazing like the Vets that gave all for us, thank you.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,806
    edited November -1
    Cool pic, but They rested on their laurels and are blind to our current grim crisis...
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Wow. Great painting.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,822 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even though it was before my time, that was a great post SG![:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,424
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Very moving. I have this one hanging on my wall.

    reflection.jpg



    I've got a print of that somewhere that I still have to get framed.
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    This is the history behind the art.

    "In the Company of Heroes" is a painting based on more than just Matt Hall's masterful creativity-this moment actually happened.
    In Dec. 2004, Valor Studios funded a charitable trip to bring six of the Band of Brothers veterans to Germany to meet and greet the troops of the 1st Armored Division, just back from Iraq. Buck Compton, Babe Heffron, Bill Guarnere, Don Malarkey, Earl McClung, and Shifty Powers participated.

    After two days in Germany, on the 60th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge, our tour traveled to Bastogne to revisit the veterans' old foxholes with today's soldiers. But, on the way to Bastogne, our host, now-SGM Billy Maloney, arranged a special moment for the veterans . . . a visit to Luxembourg American Cemetery where their fallen comrades are buried.

    "In the Company of Heroes" depicts this moment. Wading through countless crosses and stars of David, Bill, Babe, Don, and Earl found the spot first, the headstones of their buddies.

    There, in silence, Babe remembered his best friend John Julian. Don Malarkey would break down at the cross of his friend, Skip Muck. And Bill and Earl remembered the faces of Alex Penkala and others. The veterans would later agree: this was the most poignant moment since they left the continent of war in 1945.

    When they returned home, over the years, the men asked us to commemorate this moment in a painting. None pressed harder than Wild Bill and Babe (call it South Philly persistence).

    So, here it is, the moment that only the veterans witnessed-but what they want all of us to see-when they stood again, in the company of heroes.

    - Adam Makos, Publisher
  • blazen91blazen91 Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Very moving. I have this one hanging on my wall.

    reflection.jpg


    I gave that very print to my father for his birthday when I was 16.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a very moving work of art
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,821
    edited November -1
    My grandfather was with the 5th Army HQ during the battle of the bulge. He was an assitant to some officer or something. Drove Jeep, cooked some, typed a lot. During the battle he was one of the many non combat troops given an M1 grand and sent into the lines. He told me it was really cold, "so very cold".

    I still have the small collection of enemy stuff he brought back including the big nazi party banner he picked off the ground in Berlin. I keep it in a fire safe. He and several other US troops signed it and it had blood on it but most of that all faded away over the years.
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 7,006
    edited November -1
    I love it. I hope we NEVER forget what those men did for us.
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bosketti
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxmike_2
    quote:Originally posted by SG
    377534_10150516052568833_313234108832_10772421_1355533337_n.jpg

    This is the artists description of the picture:
    On a cold December day, veterans of the Battle of the Bulge reunite at the American cemetery in Luxembourg. Here, guarded by tall pines, rest the mortal remains of some 5,000 American boys who died fighting to liberate Europe. As the veterans reflect amidst the gently falling snow, their welling emotions confirm their often-stated belief: "The real heroes never came home." Here, they feel a presence, a warmth amidst the cold. Something tells them they are not alone and this silent reunion is not the last.




    said it before. will say it till I die: if our soldiers today were allowed to 'fight' as these gentlemen did, from Vietnam Korea on, with the simple premise of 'kill the enemy', thousands of our guys would still be around. These men are truly 'the greatest generation'

    Fixed it for you.



    Thanks.... true......
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]228_More_of_the_wall.JPG

    Part of The Wall at Omaha Beach.
Sign In or Register to comment.