In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

French MAS

TrupoBPTTrupoBPT Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
Why do these things always look new? Is it because France was in the war for a few days or because they are refinished? I have never seen a terrible looking one like you do with any other rifle.

Comments

• Options
    TrupoBPTTrupoBPT Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are they any fun? I have seen them a few times but know nothing about them.

John
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess that says a lot about the French :) Many were converted to 308, so those were probably all through the Armory
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    Why do these things always look new?

Never fired and only drooped once when surrendering.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    As far as I know, the French never converted any of the MAS 49/56 to 7.62 x 51.

That was done in this country by importers with some very dangerous results at times.

Go ahead, ask me how I know.[:D]

Most all that I have ever seen have been arsenal reconditioned.

did you have on with the insert?
  • Options
    1911 Gunslinger1911 Gunslinger Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of them were arsenal rebuilt and refinished, then put into storage for many years as a war reserve.
  • Options
    piperpiper Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's my understanding that the reworked MAS-36s have incorrect headspacing, leading to some dangerous case ruptures, though i could be corrected on this. Regardless, there's something about the reworks that's just not quite right. As Century Arms is the only company I'm aware of that reworked these rifles, I'm guessing poor quality control on their part. I suppose for firing blanks for the re-enactor they're fine, provided you find early manufacture parts to convert it to an "early" look, but I wouldn't put ball through the reworks after what I've been told. Stick with the original 7.5 MAS-36s if possible. It's a fantastic and accurate rifle that never gets the credit it deserves.
  • Options
    BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrupoBPT
    Why do these things always look new? Is it because France was in the war for a few days or because they are refinished? I have never seen a terrible looking one like you do with any other rifle.

Only dropped once
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had one for many years thats still in cosmoline and cheese cloth.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The MAS 49/56 converted from 7.5 French to 7.62x51 by CAI have a rep for going BOOM.

Got rid of mine a while ago
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought one of those way back for $15.95 at Sears. They had a barrel full. Shot it a few times, kicks like hell and not real accurate as I remember. My brother still has it. Back then we could buy anything, we were teenagers at the time.