In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

3rd Gen Smith

savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in General Discussion
I've always like them but for some reason traded them for something else this one went cheap on the auction side should be here in a couple days
[img][/img]pix947438563_zps95uuhlro.jpg/img]

Comments

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,992 ******
    edited November -1
    For me;
    Smith revolvers,[^][^][^][^][^][^]

Smith semi's,[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before the Glocks a S&W auto was what you would find in most cop's holsters big and heavy but reliable as hell and you could beat a perp to death with one if need be. Love the 3913's.
  • Options
    UKCATSUKCATS Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 6906... love it. I bought it a few years ago in near flawless condition. Enjoy!!!
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice
    always liked them and with all the new wonder light weight guns the smiths have come down in price ( demand )
    I do want another 6906 just because [:D]
    I have had a 5906 off and on for years every time I would sell one, I would have the need to replace it .. so last one I bought I decided just to keep it [:o)]
    I do have two complete top ends one with adj sights and one with the standard sights .
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice......I am a huge fan of Smith revolvers, but I also have a few older S&W semi-autos that I enjoy. My favorite is a 2nd Gen. 669. It was the first brand new pistol l purchased almost 28 years ago....still have it...

Enjoy the 6906!,,,,,,
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some outstanding deals on 2nd & 3rd gen S&W 39 & 59 series guns. In fact there's a bunch of 910 & 915 9mm on the auction side under $300. For folks on a tight budget these are great guns. They aren't in demand like new M&P's or Glocks. Even the bigger .45's are going for great prices. I want to pick one of these along with the surplus Hi Powers to use as idpa guns.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    The only S&W sutopistols I've been satisfied with are their 59-based compacts.

I have one that - outside of an obvious ammunition failure - has been malfunction free for ~10K rounds.

As for accuracy, this little stubby pistol will keep hits on a silhouette target at 100 yds. all day as long as you do your part.

I wouldn't take for it. [^]
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to own a S&W Model 410 .40 Cal. that was a good reliable semi auto.

model410_zpswmxr7qox.jpg
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    I used to own a S&W Model 410 .40 Cal. that was a good reliable semi auto. You lucked out.

I've owned more than one full size S&W autopistol over the years, have observed many in training sessions and at one time was a Smith certified armorer. My experience has been that every now and then you'll find one that's rock solid reliable, but they're definitely not the norm.

Somehow or another their compact versions perform much better.
  • Options
    bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 5906,4006 and 4506. Love them all. And they aren't plastic.[:)]
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wanted a stainless, hi-cap 9mm for the truck. I wanted a tool, something in which I would have no emotional investment. I wound up with a Model 659 I got on the GB auction for $232.

Apparently they made 350 659s for the Atlanta PD around 1989. It has that God awful hooked trigger guard that is uglier than sin. Makes it easy to not fall in love with the gun.

It does what I need it to do. Loaded with one extra magazine I have 29 rounds of 115 JHP @ 1250 FPS. If that doesn't settle the problem, more ammo probably won't help.

standard.jpg
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a new one right after they came out.
    Fired a couple of mags in it. Then the safety came apart and flew out of the right side.
    Believe it or not, I found the spring and detent at my feet. Put it back together, took it back the same day I bought it, and traded for an Officers ACP Colt. Great little gun.[8D]