In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ford Problem

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
96 F 150. 300 6 cyl,5 speed manual,150,000 miles..Cruising down the road,cuts off and starts right back.It has 2 tanks and rear tank does not work.I am guessing fuel pump in front tank is giving up.Plan is to pull the bed and replace both pumps.Any other ideas?

Comments

• Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd check the tank selector valve, common problem on dual tank trucks
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 94 one I had (last Ford vehicle I owned-or EVER intend to own)fuel selector and pumps only lasted 50K. Only good thing about it was, it quit 100 yards uphill of the closest FORD dealership.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one of those, and the fuel pump & sending unit was located in the rear tank.

All gas in the front tank was first routed through the rear sending unit before being sent to the throttle body.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 87 has 3 pumps. One in each tank, and one on the frame.
    When mine would cut off and on, run rough sometimes and smooth others, I replaced the EGR, the IAC, and cleaned the throttle body, which was so full of carbon I don't see how it ran at all.
    Been running well since without a hiccup.
  • Options
    22Catch2222Catch22 Member Posts: 12
    edited November -1
    Could simply be a clogged fuel filter. If you've run a tank completely empty they'll often times suck up trash from the bottom of the tank and that can cause symptoms like you are describing.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 22Catch22
    Could simply be a clogged fuel filter. If you've run a tank completely empty they'll often times suck up trash from the bottom of the tank and that can cause symptoms like you are describing.

True.Even though the pick-up tubes are supposed to be equipped with a super fine mesh Stainless Steel sock,they still have some crappy welds and draw raw,unfiltered fuel.Check the filter canister,should be right behind the driver side rocker panel.Good luck,hope it's only a dirty filter.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i was making a Illinois to Florida run with a company truck 85 ford pickup, in 1987. same thing happened 4 hours into the drive. fuel filters were jam packed. the boss never kept both tanks filled and one tank was just jammed up with crap ...quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    quote:Originally posted by 22Catch22

True.Even though the pick-up tubes are supposed to be equipped with a super fine mesh Stainless Steel sock,they still have some crappy welds and draw raw,unfiltered fuel.Check the filter canister,should be right behind the driver side rocker panel.Good luck,hope it's only a dirty filter.
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a 86 Buick that did the same thing. Quit---pull off the road and start right back up. Determined to be a bad sensor. Replaced and no more problem.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 2002 Ford compact ZX2 that I use as a commuter. It does the exact same thing. I found out why after researching the problem. Ford equips many of their vehicles with a "fuel pump shut off safety" device that is designed to immediately stop fuel if/when the vehicle is in a crash to prevent fire. Sometimes as these vehicles age, the sensitivity changes and a slight bump triggers the safety device to cut the fuel because it senses it as being in a accident. Mine always smooths out and runs fine afterward and it only happens on real hard bumps or real rough roads. Could be the same problem?
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fuel pump safety switch does not reset itself automatically. You have to push the reset button.