In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How Far Does Shot Carry?

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
..I asked over on ATE also.

..Specifically, no. 7 1/2 trap loads. Just one of those things I take for granted but don't really know. At optimum angle, how far will the shot carry? I have pipeline workers 1/2 mile away and I "know" they're safe, but I wonder.

Comments

• Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    about 75 yards but could put an eye out.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The max is about 235 yards.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked at a shot fall chart some where and IIRC 300 yds was the max distance for shot fall. This was for a Trap and Skeet Range.

Found it:

http://homestudy.ihea.com/ammo/22shotguun.htm

chart_shot_range.gif
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    ..Makes me feel better, as they're a good 800' away. They might hear it impact the corn if it's a calm day but I doubt it.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. 2 - 330 yards

No. 4 - 286 yards

No. 6 - 242 yards

No. 7 1/2- 209 yards

No. 8 - 198 yards

These are for normal loads using the sizes listed.
    range also depends a lot on wind.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ..Since our prevailing wind is south or southwest, the shot fall
    would be substantially less.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .22 Bird Shot.. Maybe 20 yd. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ..There will be some .22 rimfire shooting also, but that will be straight into 8'-10' tall corn. They may not even be working on Sunday. I'll check with them to be sure. Thanks guys..[^]
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard you can kill deer with a .22 shot in the eye. Can you kill corn with a .22 shot in the ear?[:D]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good for you thinking about such things , sadly a lot just open up and do not care ,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    I've heard you can kill deer with a .22 shot in the eye. Can you kill corn with a .22 shot in the ear?[:D]

..Every once in a while, a stalk will slowly keel over. A shot in the
    "ear" will give bugs an easy door into the...uhh...ear...[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kinda wondered about that too. I used to go duck hunting and there were sometimes several of us around the shore line of a little cove. Sometimes we could feel shot lightly raining down on us when the guy opposite fired. Just raining down, no forward velocity. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    good for you thinking about such things , sadly a lot just open up and do not care ,

..Thanks. It's a mile to the nearest house south, well within range of rimfire or larger. After impacting and tumbling, I don't worry too much unless the ground is frozen. Once a bullet loses its stability, it's maximum range is dramatically reduced. Still, better to play it safe. I don't want to hurt anyone and the legal consequences can be severe.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most public duck hunting ranges have a 200 yard recommendation for spacing out of hunting locations. shot rains down often. trap loads don't have the initial velocity that non-lead waterfowl loads do but the max range shouldn't differ that substantially...
  • Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    Thank you Sam for the chart link. Good to know.
  • Options
    Dr.NippsDr.Nipps Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think shot range would also be dependent upon choke being used?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let's not forget wind direction, wind speed, humidity, atmospheric pressure, temperature, ballistic coefficient, etc. [:D] Any kind of ballistics data is general and approximate. There are lots of variables. But, most of them have a minor effect and on the whole, the charts are pretty accurate estimations. [:)]
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesn't matter how far it will go as long as it won't go onto someone else's property.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    Let's not forget wind direction, wind speed, humidity, atmospheric pressure, temperature, ballistic coefficient, etc. [:D] Any kind of ballistics data is general and approximate. There are lots of variables. But, most of them have a minor effect and on the whole, the charts are pretty accurate estimations. [:)]

Don't forget the curvature of the Earth. [;)]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the little dangers of bird hunting on Mountain ridge tops with roads below. I used to get rained on by shot in my youth making my way to my spot. Thank God for dense trees and brush.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe the actual formula for max range of round lead ball is 2200 yards x shot diameter in inches. That IS at sea level, higher altitudes, slight increase.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I always know those little 3" .410 slugs were a bad * little round.
  • Options
    kenlguykenlguy Member Posts: 233
    edited November -1
    I know a farmer who always hears shot falling on his tin barn roof whenever bird hunters are walking through the neighbor's field no matter how far away they are. It doesn't matter either which way they are shooting.

But then he's a blithering idiot anyway.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was working in the woods one day while a friend was shooting clays "it was a bwack wain" falling around me but obviously no harm done.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried some 7 1/2 shot from the gun show in Raleigh to my home once. That's 43 miles.[:D]