In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got my BCBSNC letter today

DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
So let me get this straight. I'm young, healthy, exercise regularly, eat healthy, and do not participate in any risky or dangerous behavior. I have my whole life. The only time I ever go to the doctor is when I am forced to get a physical for a school related program. I bought health insurance for $31.37 a month because school required it and it was the cheapest available. It expires in Dec.

So today I get a letter from Blue Cross saying that my plan will disappear and be replaced with another in Jan, as many of you have. People have been telling me that healthcare is unavailable and unaffordable for years, and needs to change. Ok, I admit, it, $30 a month with my pay is rather unaffordable, especially when I don't want or need it. So Obama's "Affordable healthcare," which by definition should decrease my monthly amount, or so you would think. Instead, I get to pay $247 a month instead. Really? Considering that I make $400 on a good month, and haven't been able to find so much as a part time minimum wage job since before 2008, I'm quite annoyed.

So what am I going to do. Let's see. First, I am quitting my insurance now, and I am never going to buy medical insurance again, unless I can actually find a full time job that allows me to buy something affordable. But even if I did make $3000 a month, there ain't no way I'm paying $247 a month for anything that isn't rent. Second, I'm not voting for president again until they start putting out some choices that will actually fix this country, because even if Obama didn't win, both Mccain and Romney would have passed the exact same law.

You might say, "I wish my insurance was $247 a month." Well yeah, it's probably less than yours, but not if you only make about $400 dollars a month. What's that, about 65% of my pay going to health insurance each month?

According to my letter, the "healthy are going to pay more" while the "sick are going to pay less." If that ain't communism I don't know what is.

Comments

• Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try this one on for size.

It looks like the wifey and I who have awesome insurance have the option to pay to buy obummers crap and increase our cost 50%. That would force us to take the bottom package for each just to ge tthe premiums back to what we are paying. So we buy a second policy and we still lose coverage!

OR we can not buy his ins and then get fined enough that it would be cheaper to dump our private heath care, and buy the best obummer care package. Now tell me that wasnt the plan to begin with? Put the private ins co out of business.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I also have BCBS and your premium is under half of what I am paying. I'd be doing back-flips if I were told that I'd be paying $247 for medical insurance!
  • Options
    saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DieHard4
    So let me get this straight. I'm young, healthy, exercise regularly, eat healthy, and do not participate in any risky or dangerous behavior. I have my whole life. The only time I ever go to the doctor is when I am forced to get a physical for a school related program. I bought health insurance for $31.37 a month because school required it and it was the cheapest available. It expires in Dec.

So today I get a letter from Blue Cross saying that my plan will disappear and be replaced with another in Jan, as many of you have. People have been telling me that healthcare is unavailable and unaffordable for years, and needs to change. Ok, I admit, it, $30 a month with my pay is rather unaffordable, especially when I don't want or need it. So Obama's "Affordable healthcare," which by definition should decrease my monthly amount, or so you would think. Instead, I get to pay $247 a month instead. Really? Considering that I make $400 on a good month, and haven't been able to find so much as a part time minimum wage job since before 2008, I'm quite annoyed.

So what am I going to do. Let's see. First, I am quitting my insurance now, and I am never going to buy medical insurance again, unless I can actually find a full time job that allows me to buy something affordable. But even if I did make $3000 a month, there ain't no way I'm paying $247 a month for anything that isn't rent. Second, I'm not voting for president again until they start putting out some choices that will actually fix this country, because even if Obama didn't win, both Mccain and Romney would have passed the exact same law.

You might say, "I wish my insurance was $247 a month." Well yeah, it's probably less than yours, but not if you only make about $400 dollars a month. What's that, about 65% of my pay going to health insurance each month?

According to my letter, the "healthy are going to pay more" while the "sick are going to pay less." If that ain't communism I don't know what is.

They are quoting you the cost of the insurance. If you make so little, you won't pay that. You will be subsidized. At least that's how I inderstand it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    I also have BCBS and your premium is under half of what I am paying. I'd be doing back-flips if I were told that I'd be paying $247 for medical insurance!

I bet mine is cheaper than anyone else on here. But what I am saying is compare your monthly amount to your monthly salary or pay. I have to pay $247 a month while making $400 a month. I pay that much just for gas as it is. And I am betting you make several thousands a month.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by saserby

They are quoting you the cost of the insurance. If you make so little, you won't pay that. You will be subsidized. At least that's how I inderstand it.

But even when I signed up for this to begin with, I never had any option to say how much I made. That was never a part of deciding my price. And I'm still not seeing any options for input here. No matter what, I'm still done with it.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you may need to look again at the plans tomorrow. The amount of money you bring home $400 a month your insurance through Obamacare will be paid for with Medicaid. You can make as a single person with no kids UP TO $15,000 and the insurance will cost YOU nothing including dental. Now of course tax dollars are paying it but if you are a student then take the medicaid..or the fine til you have a job.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Saserby is correct
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    try this one on for size.

It looks like the wifey and I who have awesome insurance have the option to pay to buy obummers crap and increase our cost 50%. That would force us to take the bottom package for each just to ge tthe premiums back to what we are paying. So we buy a second policy and we still lose coverage!

OR we can not buy his ins and then get fined enough that it would be cheaper to dump our private heath care, and buy the best obummer care package. Now tell me that wasnt the plan to begin with? Put the private ins co out of business.

It's all private insurance companies in the exhanges, but I agree with your sentiment. I believe they want everyone getting insurance through the exchanges so they can call this a success.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by saserby

But even when I signed up for this to begin with, I never had any option to say how much I made. That was never a part of deciding my price. And I'm still not seeing any options for input here. No matter what, I'm still done with it.

Exactly my point. Your income hasn't been factored in yet. As Ruger41 said, you are under the limit. Most likely you will go from paying $30 a month to paying nothing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    I think you may need to look again at the plans tomorrow. The amount of money you bring home $400 a month your insurance through Obamacare will be paid for with Medicaid. You can make as a single person with no kids UP TO $15,000 and the insurance will cost YOU nothing including dental. Now of course tax dollars are paying it but if you are a student then take the medicaid..or the fine til you have a job.

Wasn't there an age limit on medicaid, maybe 25 or 30? I'm 29. Wife is 29. No kids. She has no insurance, but makes twice the money I make with her part time job. We are both full time students and part time workers. Very limited part time anyway.

We've gotten by without getting unemployment, food stamps, or free anything from the government, and we want to keep it that way. All we really want are full time jobs, but those are quickly disappearing. Very much planning on getting full time in Jan after this semester is done.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    What does it matter how much anyone makes when purchasing a product or service, and that is all that insurance is? Suppose that I make $10K per month and you make $1K per month and gasoline cost $4 per gallon. Because you make one-tenth of my income would that mean that I should pay the full $4 per gallon while you are supposed to pay forty cents? They only people in this country who fully understand the cost of medical insurance or those of us (few in number) who actually have to go out and find insurance and then foot the total premium ourselves. If you managed to get health insurance for $37 per month than someone somewhere was subsidizing the hell out of that premium.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For you & the wife the max you can make together is $21400+- to get Medicaid under Obamacare...your age has nothing to do with it..just be aware Medicaid is bottom of the barrel insurance compared to most other plans.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What does it matter how much anyone makes when purchasing a product or service, and that is all that insurance is? Suppose that I make $10K per month and you make $1K per month and gasoline cost $4 per gallon. Because you make one-tenth of my income would that mean that I should pay the full $4 per gallon while you are supposed to pay forty cents? They only people in this country who fully understand the cost of medical insurance or those of us (few in number) who actually have to go out and find insurance and then foot the total premium ourselves. If you managed to get health insurance for $37 per month than someone somewhere was subsidizing the hell out of that premium.

That is the very heart of ObamaCare. If you can't afford insurance, someone else will pay for it for you.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DieHard4?
    So let me get this straight. I'm young, healthy, exercise regularly, eat healthy, and do not participate in any risky or dangerous behavior. I have my whole life.

So why on earth do you have a whole life policy?? Or was that a rhetorrhical statement
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I bet mine is cheaper than anyone else on here. But what I am saying is compare your monthly amount to your monthly salary or pay. I have to pay $247 a month while making $400 a month. I pay that much just for gas as it is. And I am betting you make several thousands a month.

I assume you are a college student with no dependents
    If so you should not buy any insurance
    My BCBS for myself and Mrs CP is $1346 per month
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    my daughters family BCBSNC will go from 400.00 to 950.00 according to the letter she got yesterday...whats the use in working?
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    As others have stated at your income level it is likely you will pay nothing in the end. The formality of these letters from insurers is just that, they are unconcerned with your income level and would be entirely pleased if you looked no further than their deceitful letters, and simply paid up.

Start on this web site:
    https://www.healthcare.gov/

You can read up on the new way of shopping for health insurance there. If your State chose to build its own health insurance exchange you will be directed to it. Otherwise you stay on the website and create an account to begin shopping and learn what your options and final cost will be.

You have some time. To be insured on January 1, 2014 I believe the cut-off date is December 15. After that you have until the end of March 2014 to be compliant with the law. That is from memory, so do check for yourself if it matters to you.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I've been paying ~ $1300/month for
    2yrs and now I pay an extra $138 per
    month for concierge medicine to stay with
    my doctor.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    One major difference (you might want to note) is where before it wasn't optional but really there was no penalty if you didn't pay (maybe the school would kick you out). Now, since healthcare is tied to the IRS, your payment is enforceable with jail time. Lovely, ain't it?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    TempestTempest Member Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Change you can believe in...........
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I suspected, "Hope and Change" has morphed into "Choked and Strangled".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cpermd
    quote:Originally posted by DieHard4?
    So let me get this straight. I'm young, healthy, exercise regularly, eat healthy, and do not participate in any risky or dangerous behavior. I have my whole life.

So why on earth do you have a whole life policy?? Or was that a rhetorrhical statement

I had to reread that. I meant that I have lived healthy my whole life, as described in the sentence before that. I don't have any kind of life insurance or anything retirement related.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Yeah you do have a good point. If I make less I just won't be able to spend as much. Part of the reason I haven't had a vacation in 3 years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cpermd

I assume you are a college student with no dependents
    If so you should not buy any insurance
    My BCBS for myself and Mrs CP is $1346 per month

Certain programs require you to have health insurance or you can't do the program, and others don't. That's the only reason I bought it. Problem is that insurance will cost more than tuition if I keep this one. But I'm not.