In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

early blight showed up

skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
edited July 2015 in General Discussion
on some of my tomato plants. I pruned off the bad sections as best as I could and was thinking of trying a hydrogen peroxide treatment on the plants. I was thinking about a 1:3 ratio.

Anyone got any favorite remedies or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Disinfect your knives/pruners, or you'll just spread it to your other plants!

Merc
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought you used baking soda for that and peroxide for fertizler
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    Disinfect your knives/pruners, or you'll just spread it to your other plants!

Merc

Good advice!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TooBig
    I thought you used baking soda for that and peroxide for fertizler

I've never used it before. It was a tip I read online.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The product called Captan is used for treating soil fungus and "plant damp" condition. That's where the plant just stops growing. Once it's in the actual plant stems, I don't know what would help for sure. With Captan, you'd want to look closely at "time till harvest" notes. Epsom salts are good for some conditions too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I identified it correctly, it doesn't appear to be terminal for the plant if treated.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The blight comes from the dirt being splashed onto the plant when it rains. If you cover the ground around the base of the plant with newspaper, straw or mulch, you will not get blight. I used to use a mild bleach solution in the holes a couple weeks prior to planting and spraying the ground surrounding the area. It worked, but I prefer using old newspaper as it helps keep moisture in the ground.

Good luck, Don
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the Newspaper...
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1