In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

For the farmers on this board

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
edited September 2016 in General Discussion
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Follow on to Crapperpillar's automated road graders running in open pit mines around the world.

Original attempt was made in the 1930s with a radio controlled tractor built & demonstrated by IH.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    self driving cars and now machinery will have the liability lawyers drooling like idiots...and i bet we will see a whole new layer of "blame the car" not me ???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Franzc
    Follow on to Crapperpillar's automated road graders running in open pit mines around the world.

Original attempt was made in the 1930s with a radio controlled tractor built & demonstrated by IH.
    Well, you're just a bucket of sunshine aren't you. You know, technology has improved slightly since 1930. Just maybe there's enough tech in this to avoid such "cat"astrophes, but I'm guessing you didn't watch the enough of the video to know that.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be all fun and games until the repair bills came in..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    of course... i knew the movie "Christine" was a biography.....i am NOT paranoid, i know they are out to get me
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    Be all fun and games until the repair bills came in..

Yup. Considering the very real possibility that no one aside from the dealer will be able to do repairs.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Nonsense, the GPS gear has a Trimble/Garmin GPS engine, built&designed by Kiwis who know what they're doing.
    Not like a "driverless" car, more like a computer-controlled machine; like Westworld, where nothing can go wrong.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I happened to be visiting my Son the day that Jon Kinzenbaw took his autonomous tractor to the field. There were lots of engineers, electronics geeks, and mechanics on-site plus a safety control driver in the seat until they got most of the quirks sort of ironed out. The end result was a system that allowed "robo JD" to find it's way to the combine, run alongside for on the go unloading, and return to a designated parking area within a wide open 160 acre field.
    Honestly, a farmer can hire a geezer like me to run the grain cart far cheaper than owning a robo-tractor. As for the operating all alone, it simply has too many variables to work except in the perfect conditions.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    A GPS won't tell you you are driving into a mud hole.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some of these comments are funny. They make it pretty obvious which folks did and which folks did not watch the video.[:D]
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The GPS technology equipment has these days is amazing. From mapping to repeatability to automated driving, it's incredible and growing at such a rapid pace it's hard to imagine where it will/could go. But in suboptimal conditions things go awry quickly.
    This technology exceles in the Midwest huge corn and wheat fields.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Some of these comments are funny. They make it pretty obvious which folks did and which folks did not watch the video.[:D]

+1 [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rye wicking here consists of a machine with a boom holding roundup soaked sponges that rub the rye which is taller than the wheat..a friend custom works this with a machine that has a 90' boom with gps auto steer and auto boom height control ..mapping shows if there is a missed strip ...another runs a 60' setup...i built a small hydro drive unit with a 28' boom for fun several years ago...need to sell it now that i have retired....most farm machinery costs have skyrocketed the last few ysears
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    Nonsense, the GPS gear has a Trimble/Garmin GPS engine, built&designed by Kiwis who know what they're doing.
    Not like a "driverless" car, more like a computer-controlled machine; like Westworld, where nothing can go wrong.

Unless they lose the GPS Signal, Or Satellite drift Cause gps to be off. They are having this problem down under.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    But once the problems have been worked out this will be some great stuff. They have used this in Heavy equipment for years Like blade control on graders. Makes it much easier to level a field.
  • Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure beats the hell out of a transit and stakes !