In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotgun question

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
I am looking to buy a remington 870. It will come with a mod. choke. My question is if I take the choke out can I shoot slugs, and if so what type or brand of slugs?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Recently came into possession of a Mossberg 500C (20 gauge). I know just about next to nothing about shotguns, but I do know this model allows you to remove the barrel and replace it with another. My question is: can it be replaced with another gauge, or is this feature so you can replace it with a longer/shorter barrel, or perhaps a rifled barrel for slug shooting?

Now, before you answer, I'll give my guess....I know that the "C" in 500C means it's a 20 gauge, and that is stamped on the gun itself, NOT the barrel. That leads me to believe that although you can change out barrels, it can only be safely and correctly done with another 20 gauge.

Am I right?[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anybody know if there is a way to get a new grip, (not orignial stock) for a Stevens 94H shotgun, it was given to me with an 18 inch barrel, and a broken stock, I was going to try and put a pistol grip of some sort on it. Anybody know if they make them or if they can be made?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pardon the ignorance. I have grown up shooting shotguns, smoothbore and rifled. I have never fired a slug out of a choked smoothbore, however. I know it it possible with the right choke, CYL???
    I ask because where we're out chasing ptarmigan and grouse there is some recent bear activity. Is it safe to shoot a slug out of an imp cyl choke without screwing up 1.the choke, 2. the barrel, or most importantly 3.messing up my highly refined good looks[;)][:D][;)] with a bursting barrel?

Picture024.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking of getting a shotgun for home defense, but now that I've started looking I realize I don't know that much about them. What I want is what is legally the shortest pistol grip version I can own in 12 gauge.

since this is for defense only and nothing more, I was looking for either a double bbl SXS or riot style pump. Nothing fancy or expensive as long as it does the job and doesn't have a record of killing from both ends.

Not ready to buy just yet, still gathering info. Any help would be appreciated, TIA. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a O/U with 28-30" barrels.

Browning Citori

Winchester 101

Ithaca

I am trying for under $1000

I don't care about chokes I can get the barrels turned to removable choke tubes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you ever really need the 3" or 3 1/2" shells for anything other than hunting? In terms of home defense, won't 2 3/4" shells work just fine?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    12ga or 20ga....as an all round shotgun round...key words all round..I like a 20ga...for general shooting...how about you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently bought my first shotgun. It's a Benelli Nova. I took it trap shooting last week. I did very well, about 90% hits. My question is the bruse on my upper bicep. I shot about 200 rounds. Is this normal, or am I holding the gun wrong?. I tried shouldering the gun at home to see where it hits. I am not putting it on my arm. Thanks for any help.

Edited by - rameleni1 on 07/21/2002 05:42:21
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have done all of my big and small game hunting with with rifles, muzzleloaders, or a bow and bird hunting with a shotgun. Whenever I am in the woods and not hunting(maybe scouting or putting up a stand, etc.) I carry a pistol with me just in case of that possible bear attack. Well, I have been looking into getting a small and handy little shotgun for home defense use and am looking into something with a pistol grip kit. Would this also be legal to carry around in the woods with me for protection purposes? Or would I have to buy a regular stock with a buttplate? I know that each state may be different on this, but the 2 states that I am curious about are WI and Alaska(gonna be doing a lot of sightseeing by foot and by boat within the next couple years hopefully). This may be a stupid question, but I am not familiar with all of these shotgun hunting laws. Thanks in advance,

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i bought a sxs shotgun with the exposed hammers. i want to cut it down to a coach gun. the dealer i bought it from said not to because the barrels are chrome lined and it will flake. is that true and how should it be done then.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I already have several boxes of ammo for a 16 guage. What
    would you purchase to go with it? Right now I have a single shot
    antique. Thanks. Mouse
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I don't know about the firearms laws for the states in question, but I'd recommend against getting a pistol-grip for the shotgun - it makes it much harder to control. I'd stick with the conventional stock.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I have also carried a shotgun for hiking and sight seeing. I would agree with EMM though, stay away from the pistol grip stocks, they are hard to control when you need them the most. Plus they kill your hand for practicing. Of course if you wanted to just drop the length a bit you could go with one of these:
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=70714316
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hmm...that wouldn't be a bad idea. Be able to keep it a little shorter and easy handling at the same time. Just out of curiosity, what model do you carry?

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Hmm...that wouldn't be a bad idea. Be able to keep it a little shorter and easy handling at the same time. Just out of curiosity, what model do you carry?

If I'm just messing around in the woods I do not like to carry anything nice, so I bring my NEF Survivor in 20 Gauge. I put a decent sling on it so it carries really well and with a slug in the tube there isn't much in SoCal that it won't stop. Of course when I go out I carry because of 2 legged critters, you might want a bit more power if your going to be in AK, a 12 gauge should do nicely.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:If I'm just messing around in the woods I do not like to carry anything nice, so I bring my NEF Survivor in 20 Gauge. I put a decent sling on it so it carries really well and with a slug in the tube there isn't much in SoCal that it won't stop. Of course when I go out I carry because of 2 legged critters, you might want a bit more power if your going to be in AK, a 12 gauge should do nicely.
    Definitely looking at getting a 12 gauge. Looking into one of the Mossberg 500 Mariner models right now.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Mariner would be a good one for your needs, actually anything stainless with synthetic is a good choice. Of course you could look at one of these:
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=70853902