In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

For you gardeners out there....

Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I get the cucumber mosaic virus about every year. I looked it up and there doesn't seem to be a efficient way to deal with it. It also effects the tomato plants but doesn't kill them like it does my cucumbers. Sometimes my cucumbers are dead by the time the tomatoes are ripe or shortly there after. I love tomatoes and cucumbers as a salad but can't seem to make the cucumbers last well into the tomato picking time.

Anyway does anyone out there have a good old fashioned way of dealing with this problem?
Link with pic
http://gardening.about.com/od/gardenproblems/ig/Insects-and-Diseases-of-Plants/Mosaic-Virus.htm

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not plant cucumbers. Don
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,020 ******
    edited November -1
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    i don't think there is any way to stop it unless you burn off your garden and * rid of the host of amphids that carry the virus..it will spread to all plants but usually harbors a start in spinach...burn your garden every fall
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:There are some CMV-resistant varieties of vegetable and flowers available, including cucumber and spinach (Agrios, 1978). However, there are some CMV hosts that do not have resistant cultivars established at this time. Management of CMV on lettuce by genetic resistance has not been possible because there is no cultivar both suited to production and resistance to CMV. Resistance has been found in Lactuca saligna L., a wild species from Portugal, and a program to breed this resistance into commercial lettuce is under way (Provvidenti et al., 1980). However, this resistance is not effective against all isolates of CMV, and until a suitable resistant cultivar is developed, a disease-management practice is needed (Rist and Lorbeer, 1989).

Control of CMV weed hosts near cultivated fields is often successful in reducing the incidences of CMV in cucumber and celery, and is likely beneficial in other crop fields as well (Rist and Lorbeer, 1989). Perennial weeds should be eradicated from around greenhouses, gardens and fields to eliminate possible sources of CMV (Agrios, 1978).

Transplant crops stored in greenhouses should be isolated from other plants that may harbor CMV. When transplanted, they should not be planted near susceptible crops nor non-cultivated areas in which there may be weeds harboring the virus (Agrios, 1978).

Also Control of Aphids was suggested.

Would look at the varity of plant you are using to see if you can find a resistant varity.
  • FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How much land have you got? You could put a cucumber/melon patch a ways off from your current garden spot.

I haven't been troubled by cucumber mosaic virus, but I managed to make a good crop of tomatoes that way after my garden spot got contaminated with tomato late blight. I killed off the weeds with Roundup in a rich spot of ground next to a soybean field, dug holes, filled them with compost, and mulched the tomatoes with black mulching fabric. Worked fine the first year, but then I decided to cultivate the area with my tiller, which I forgot to spray with chlorine bleach to kill the blight spores first. Dumb move. Contaminated the new patch, and the second year's crop got blighted.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Green spraypaint.?
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a 10'x15' area by the house. I live in the city so moving the cucumbers/tomatoes is not an option. Burning may be my best bet, but burning in the city is against the law too though I've done it a couple times. I used to think it was from the grass clipping I put down for weed/moisture control because the grass would become moldy underneath. I stopped doing that 2 years ago but no go. I keep all weeds free and clear of the garden. Aphids are a problem though. I spray them with malathion but there's millions of them in near by bushes too. I might just be SOL.SOB or I could plant a 2nd crop in late june. I dunno...

I plant the same variety of cucumbers in my fathers garden and he doesn't have the virus. We do use the same tiller though.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HappyNanoq
    Green spraypaint.?

quote:Do not plant cucumbers. Don

quote:Kroger

Somewhere there's a few villages missing a few idiots. [8D]
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Their's a few new "KIRBY" cukes out, that are spoda be resistant, but if you can't keep the aphids off, and the bug is in your soil, U may need to skip a summer and just concentrate on getting your garden plot squared-away.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,020 ******
    edited November -1
    They only miss you if they like you.[8D]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Ya'll know lady bugs eat aphids right?
    How about spraying the nearby bushes too?
  • WCIWCI Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK dont laugh but you wanted old time info hear it is. Go on line and buy you some Lady Bugs. E-mail me and I can tell you where. The will stay around as long as there is something to eat like the aphids. "You can buy several thousand for a few dollars. You can also put out some Borax Ant Traps and I can get you info on how to do this as well if you would like. These are what my wife does in her organic garden and so far it is working.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    quote:Originally posted by HappyNanoq
    Green spraypaint.?

quote:Do not plant cucumbers. Don

quote:Kroger

Somewhere there's a few villages missing a few idiots. [8D]

Yeah, you're welcome here - we're fresh out.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Their's a few new "KIRBY" cukes out, that are spoda be resistant, but if you can't keep the aphids off, and the bug is in your soil, U may need to skip a summer and just concentrate on getting your garden plot squared-away.

I thought about that too but they're already in now.
    I do get some great cukes before the virus kills the plant but a couple years a while ago I got cukes all the way till october. That sure was nice and my neighbors appreciate it too.[:p]
    edited November -1
    Freemind,WCI I think I have a lady bug nest or two in the yard. Those things are all over. Box elder bugs too.
    I have a 2 gallon pump sprayer that I fill with malathion and usually spray the bushes but the garden has been top priority. I'll have to make the bushes tops too. Last year I had a bad infestation of those japaneese beatles too. Also I get those pesky tobacco worms on my tomatoes and cut worms on my broccoli and brussel sprouts. Needless to say I'm always keeping an eye out for insects.
    I guess I can grow anything. LOL
    If all else fails old S&W might have to come to the rescue. [8D]