In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kohler mower mechanic needed

KenthetoolmanKenthetoolman Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2013 in General Discussion
Was mowing the ditch with a mower I just got used from a friend and it suddenly blew out a lot of white smoke with a little blue and died. The air filter is soaked with oil. After I cleaned it up and checked oil and gas I was able to restart and it seemed to run fine for the couple of minutes I let it till I shut it off with no excessive smoke. This is a 20 hp kohler magnum in a craftsman mower. I got it for free so I'm not out much if it is shot but am just wondering if it was just cuz I was on a slope or if the engine is done for?

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With just a random guess I would say the mower may be new enough to have some pcv/emissions equipment and the angle allowed oil to travel the wring direction. It should be fine if this is the case.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Yep.Prob. just "slugged" a big dose of oil from the angle.If the crank case was even a "red-one" over full,it'll do that..
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    All Kohler engines or any other brand for that matter have a vent To drain oil back from the intake and exhaust Value area They do not like to be run at steep angles off of level Max suggested 15 degrees. This vent goes directly to the base of the air filter once the air filter gets wet with oil it causes high Vacuum and actually sucks oil OUT of the engine.and burns it along with gas & air mixture.
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes especially if it "splash lubricated" vs. pressure lubed