In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington .591 rifle

t7146t7146 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
Anyone in North Carolina know about this gun?

Comments

• Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not from NC but isn't the M591 the clip-fed 5mm Rim-Fire Magnum? I think the tube-fed model was the 592.

The caliber was not a commercial success and Remington screwed over everyone who had bought one of these rifles when they quit making the ammo which being rim-fire cannot be reloaded or loaded at home. The rifles are worthless now except to collectors who need an example and ammo is also in the collector category and is very pricey when found.

Is the Remington 591 of which you speak?
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    t7146t7146 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, that is the exact rifle. I new parts/ammo were hard to find. I was hoping someone in NC might know of somewhere to find parts for this gun.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I doubt that anything is readily available and if located would be very expensive just to wind up with a gun for which there is no ammo being made. Why bother?
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen the rifles for sale at fairly low prices. The ammo is a different story...
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    If the rifle you own has sentimental value and you want it in working order You would probably do best to buy a whole rifle and use the parts to fix yours then sell the rest of the other rifle as parts or a parts gun.

There was a way to make center fire ammo for this if you reloaded and purchase a conversion kit.
  • Options
    jax18421jax18421 Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to "Remington5mm@yahoogroups" and ask over there about the conversion kits and their experience with them. They may also be able to help you with parts. I believe Gun Parts Corp.(Numrich) has some parts available also.
    jax18421
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you looking for in parts. There are a couple of options for this gun. Find the ammo which is about 80.00 per box or reline it to 17 or 22 cal. I converted my magazine fed gun to a single shot in 17 HMR. You could also do the same for 22 Mag. The 5mm is slightly shorter than the above mentioned rounds and you are going to have to deal with feeding issues to make it a repeater.
  • Options
    sotheresothere Member Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1