In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

People going nuts over killing Gorilla PIC ADDED!

13»

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    could resist....[:D]
    kanye_zpsqd7nzeyj.jpg
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot
    Yes, the killing of the Gorilla was a tragedy, there are only a little over 700 of them left in the wild (world wide) and once again I say that it was totally preventable.

If you only consider this "a bit saddening" then I'd have to say that you have a major disconnect between your personal little bubble and the world that you actually live in. Mr Myopic would better describe your view of life on earth.

It's an animal. Thus not a tragedy.

Agree.

A fairly smart fellow named Dennis Prager (I'd expect some here know or listen to him) has said that given the opportunity to save a helpless puppy or the most evil human the moral choice always is to save the human. Simply because they are human. And I tend to agree with him.

That the death of an animal is unfortunate, horrifying, offensive and so on doesn't change that. I certainly wish this didn't happen, but it did.

We have yet to decide if humans are above the animal world or part of it. If we put ourselves above it then being custodial and responsible for it's care, survival in some cases, is appropriate, I suppose. But if we are part of it, if we are just all animals, well then what we do is part of the natural order of things even if we use tools to do it. Or do it to an extreme. Monkeys use tools to acquire food, beavers build dams to control their environment. And if an animal has to kill another to survive or protect its own, even if that animal happens to be the last one on Earth, that's what it does.

What makes us better? Our brains of higher knowledge? We lock up a wild animal and we fail to protect him from his environment. Mankind has always thought he/she is superior yet he kills his kind more than any other species.

Knowledge seems to be a curse for him/her.Soon to be tested with nukes at the command no doubt. Kill them all and let g-d sort it out! We are nothing but hairless naked apes you say?

serf
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:You know, one of the main distinctions between animals and humans is the ability to reason and to control their sexual urges.

Rapists and child molesters being perfect examples for the humans are not animals team.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher

A fairly smart fellow named Dennis Prager (I'd expect some here know or listen to him) has said that given the opportunity to save a helpless puppy or the most evil human the moral choice always is to save the human. Simply because they are human. And I tend to agree with him.

Personally, I'd load the most evil human into a woodchipper before I'd harm the puppy, but that's just me.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    could resist....[:D]
    kanye_zpsqd7nzeyj.jpg

It would be worth a shot. [:D]
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    suess_zpsvvofdwu3.jpg

gorilla%20cosby_zps5srolvzx.jpg

That is seriously funny. [:D][:D][:D][:D]
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    Tiger last month, now a Gorilla. What's next?

A large wooden badger?

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen Swallow?

African or European? [:D]
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    quote:Originally posted by swearengine
    Fine the mother the cost of getting a replacement gorilla.
    According to the various news reports, the child crossed 2-3 barricades before falling into the moat. That took effort and time.

I wonder if you have considered what the long term effects, of fining parents for none malicious child behavior, would be.

The old adage, kids will be kids, comes to mind. If there were more parents; people who discipline their child; rather than babysitters, you would have less miscreants.

When I was a child, 2 neighbor boys caused damage but they were not being malicious. It cost their parents a combined total of approximately $80,000.00 I guarantee you those adults became parents overnight and those 2 boys grew up to be respected adults.

Were they 4 years old? Also did they do the damage at a place that makes it's living off of children and the adults who bring them? If parents start getting sued every time a child does something, it will not be long before parents stop taking their children to zoos, fairs, amusement parks......etc.

Their age and the business they damaged is irrelevant. But the punishment made both parents and children grow up.

If the children or the parents can not be held responsible for the loss or losses, the zoo will have to close its doors. Won't have to worry about families not attending.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    edited November -1
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fine the mother the cost of getting a replacement gorilla.
    According to the various news reports, the child crossed 2-3 barricades before falling into the moat. That took effort and time.

I wonder if you have considered what the long term effects, of fining parents for none malicious child behavior, would be.

The old adage, kids will be kids, comes to mind. If there were more parents; people who discipline their child; rather than babysitters, you would have less miscreants.

When I was a child, 2 neighbor boys caused damage but they were not being malicious. It cost their parents a combined total of approximately $80,000.00 I guarantee you those adults became parents overnight and those 2 boys grew up to be respected adults.

Were they 4 years old? Also did they do the damage at a place that makes it's living off of children and the adults who bring them? If parents start getting sued every time a child does something, it will not be long before parents stop taking their children to zoos, fairs, amusement parks......etc.

Their age and the business they damaged is irrelevant. But the punishment made both parents and children grow up.

If the children or the parents can not be held responsible for the loss or losses, the zoo will have to close its doors. Won't have to worry about families not attending.

Well I guess we disagree, IMO it's very relevant. We're not talking about kids going over to the neighbors and tearing the limbs out of the cherry tree while climbing it. We're talking about businesses that invite children and parents to attend, for a fee.

While the price for this incident is indeed high, the child's behavior is common. The location and timing defied the odds, but the behavior didn't. If businesses start suing parents for this type of behavior none of these children driven businesses will exist. If the precedent is set, would you take your children someplace where any lapse, not matter how good you were the rest of the time, could cost you a couple of million dollars?

It's a bad situation, but is suing the parents going to make it right?
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People are discussing the worth of a Gorilla's life compared to a human being. A Silver Back Gorilla takes care of his children from birth through adulthood. He moves his family to the best feeding grounds and keeps them together and protects them with his life against any threat on earth no matter how terrifying it may be. He does all this with out the help of anyone. There is no welfare or food stamps for this brave animal and he's not asking for any help either. All he wants is to be left alone.

How many human welfare recipients can you say anything close to this about? 62 people were shot and 6 died his past weekend in Chicago. I wouldn't trade the life of that Gorilla for everyone of those sorry POS in Chicago.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone looking at this picture that does not find the zoo had inadequate measures and was at fault for what happened might need to go get their head examined.....

Gorilla%20enclosure_zps5ofbnhgt.jpg
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    edited November -1
    394353.png
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    394353.png

Daughter showed me that the other day it was great.[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears the mother will get off free.
    At least the tourons (tourist + moron) that caused the bison calf to be euthanized were fined $235.00 and then had to pay an additional $500.00 to the wildlife fund.
  • Options
    wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall many years ago when my little brother (2 OR 3 years old)was bad about "escaping" from my Mom.

On many camping trips he would head straight for the nearest water.

Came close to drowning once and only once.

The solution was to put a harness on him and a rope.

At the beach or at the lake Dad would drive a stake in the ground and give him just enough rope to get to the edge of the water.

Mom would get all sorts of comments from people about how cruel it was to have her child in a harness on a leash.

Her reply was always "At least he'll still be alive".

Haven't seen any kids harnessed in a long time although there are quite a few that should be.
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easy fix. Shut down the zoo. Why we taxpayers of a flat broke country paying to house non-indigenous wild animals when we can't feed, educate, house, and care for our own people and VETERANS??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You can tell by the resemblance that it wasn't the kids fault he fell in with the gorilla. He just thought he saw his daddy and wanted to be with him.

de2c61d25d696b4e4407084f1f45b855_zpsbgkrxkf9.jpg
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several thoughts on all of this-maybe it's been mentioned but I hadn't seen it yet.

The staff at the zoo would probably be the best judge of what that gorilla was capable of since they saw him every day.

They made reasonable attempts to divert the gorilla away from the child for a few minutes.

After considering this, THEY decided the appropriate course of action was to dispatch the gorilla.

They surely didn't want to have to kill their animal but they made the proper choice.

The child lived through the encounter. That was the primary consideration and that is the most important objective.

This is one incident where the people in charge did what was reasonably necessary and I commend them for making the decision.

As far as the parents are concerned, you can argue the issues of their responsibility or lack thereof but the bottom line is the child is safe.

I tried to keep track of my kids when they were little but we had a moment or 2 of panic during their childhood when they may have disappeared for an instant.

Since I wasn't there to see the whole situation, the proper authorities can decide what course of action, if any, needs to be taken with the parent or parents.

I know I would have been willing to do almost anything they decided was necessary in exchange for the safe return of my child.

I would have wanted my child to live.

I would have voluntarily gone into that cage to try to distract that animal away from my child if I thought it would help, even if it killed me.

a side thought...

Since this thing happened, I wondered how long gorillas usually lived both in the wild and in captivity-not that their life expectancy would have made any difference if I were making that decision.

I would have thought about 25 years or so but the internet says about 35 years in the wild and about 50 in captivity.

It's a shame that visitors won't get to see this animal for another 32 years or so but hopefully, the child that was saved will make a significant positive impact in the world during that time. I hope the parents appreciate the sacrifice the zoo made to ensure that they get to find this out.

Who really knows what quality of life that gorilla had in the zoo anyway? Who knows what may have happened to that gorilla next week or next year. We'll never know that, but we may get to know what the kid does because the zoo people made the right decision.

Just my opinion...
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Montagnard Tribesmen often climbed into the Gorilla cage in Saigon Zoo....The old saying was "The French got the Vietnamese out of the trees, and the Americans put them on Hondas"
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    You can tell by the resemblance that it wasn't the kids fault he fell in with the gorilla. He just thought he saw his daddy and wanted to be with him.

This is not only done in extremely poor taste, it makes you look like a cad.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the bottom of the web page there's a teaser about funny things photographed at Walmart. One of them is a mom with a child handcuffed to the cart. quote:Originally posted by wiz1997
    I recall many years ago when my little brother (2 OR 3 years old)was bad about "escaping" from my Mom.

On many camping trips he would head straight for the nearest water.

Came close to drowning once and only once.

The solution was to put a harness on him and a rope.

At the beach or at the lake Dad would drive a stake in the ground and give him just enough rope to get to the edge of the water.

Mom would get all sorts of comments from people about how cruel it was to have her child in a harness on a leash.

Her reply was always "At least he'll still be alive".

Haven't seen any kids harnessed in a long time although there are quite a few that should be.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lkannes
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

This is not only done in extremely poor taste, it makes you look like a cad.

Thanks. That's exactly the way I intended to look. And as long as the sorry blacks and their leader keep shoving this black BS down people's throats I intend to get a lot more than just caddy looking.