In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

dehumidifier the best???

fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
edited October 2015 in General Discussion
the old unit died,,bought a new one at the home store,,it would not shut off at the desired setting ..seams a common flaw in all the new ones today as the humidity censer is to close to the coils ( china designed and made) ,same crap on the inside just different shells and brand names on the outside ..what is a good uni, possibe commercial HD cheap investment to keep the loved ones safe from evil rust

Comments

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe not what you want to hear. My current unit is a Soleus and it works well and just finishing it's 3rd summer. This year has been running 4-12 hours per day since April. Does run warmer than my old domestic made unit but uses 1/2 the electricity and doesn't freeze up. Pulls twice as much water out of the air as the bigger(name brand) unit I borrowed from Son after my basement leaked. This year, I gave up on getting below 75% down there. Even running two units in 900 square foot couldn't get below 70% until this week.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    my old unit could get 45% with water on floor from leaks and get it to dry
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 Haier's.
    They've been good units for 3 years now.
    [^]barto[^]
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Magtag that I have. Very efficient.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the one I have now is an LG, does a pretty good job. My basement is dry but there is enough wicking through the slab and walls thet the dehumidifier really does make ahuge difference.

Correction. The one I have now is a Frigidaire FAD704DUD 70pt. The previous unit was an LG. It just crapped out after 2 yrs and even getting someone to look at it was going to be more than just buying a new one. [:(]
  • TempestTempest Member Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a GE 70 pt in a detached garage. Keeps it at 45%RH no problem in the muggy TN weather.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Gibson that's around 10 years old it works so well that it drains my fish tank.[;)]
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Danby.
    Been a reliable unit for three years now.
    Keeps the basement dry.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've got a 45 pint LG that we used in our travel trailer. The first LG we had crapped out after about a year and a half and LG replaced it under warranty. The replacement LG ran in our travel trailer for another 3 years until we sold the travel trailer. Our house doesn't need one so it just sits in the basement now.

New dehumidifiers are not like our parents dehumidifiers. They seemed to run forever like old refrigerators.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a Danby and it quit working in less than 3 months.
    Same with an LG.
    Went to Sears and bought a Kenmore, for upstairs.
    Worked well enough that we got the next larger model (with AC) for the basement. Both are still working.
    edited November -1
    internet search has good about the 70pt frigidaire well heating season is here the furnace is on,. the humidity on the gage is 20%,,, the gauge thru the winter is always at 0%..
    edited November -1
    was so dry last winter ,the wolf spider knocked on the basement door with a cup asking for water[:0]