In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911a1fan

Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
Whats up man. Did you go to bed with a 50 degree weather, and wake up with... snow?[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Comments

• Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am getting a little worried here. I put the Ghost peppers, trinidad scorpions and choc duglahs (from you), and carolina reapers in the pellets and into the seed starter (with heat mat) last saturday night. I have NOTHING poking through the pellets yet[B)] am I being too impatient here??? how long do they usually take to germinate?? I hope not the 60days I have heard of in the past,...that will put me way behind to get them in the ground this year[V]

any advice?
    edited November -1
    Or others that compete with handguns.

I know you have loaded and fired thousands of 45 handloads in competition and was wondering about something.
    Have you ever seen a handload squib in rapid fire, bullet lodge in barrel and next shot Kaboom?

I was just curious because I see where a progresive loader may create a squib and I know a lot of competitors handload their ammo.
    edited November -1
    much appreciate the seeds. You sent me enough to last for years[:D]

any hints on getting a better germination rate?? soak in something first? etc

Thanks[^]
    edited November -1
    How do you go about setting up for overwintering your plants?? do you start them in pots and not the ground?? What size pots work well for you for overwintering?? Do you keep them under MH or HPS lights for just flourescents?? I am trying to decide if I should keep some in pots to begin with this year or transplant them in the fall.

Supposed to get low 40's tonight and tomorrow, so I can't get them in the ground until Wed.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    What do you know about Marion County Illinois?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    quote:Originally posted by catpealer111
    Three computer connected to your wireless network and on connected to the hard line could just be over stressing your connection.

it shouldn't, if it does there is another problem, i have several wireless, and wired running, + 1 xbox live 2 ipod touch's, 1 iphone, and have ran 9 puters at once off my home network

half thats running right at this moment

What internet do you have? We have what used to be SBCGLOBAL, not sure what it is now. They sold. AT&T or something I think.

We have mine, dads, brothers, other brothers mac + iphone + his xbox live
    edited November -1
    Hi again and thanks again for the pepper seeds.

I thought I'd pass along a simple, inexpensive way to store seeds long term using straws.

Pinch one end of a straw with needle nose pliers leaving a little of the straw sticking out, melt that little bit with a flame, let cool for a few seconds, cut to length, fill and seal the open end the same way.

Straws come in different colors letting one to color code them for content on a ziplock bag. McDonalds and Arbys have larger diameter straws. Neither are large enough for bean, pea, squash and other large seeds. Straws from Arby's are clear so you can view contents. Offer the manager a dollar for a handful. Or, just clean out and recycle the ones in your drinks.

If buying straws at a store look for larger ones and those that aren't flexible. The flexible portion is weaker.

For everyone else, use your imagination. For example, salt, sugar, pepper, instant coffee for a day pack or BOB, small extra screws, springs, some gun oil or grease for your range box (accidentally knocking over the range box will less frustrating). Seal up anything small enough to fit, especially that you don't want moisture ruining. For metal parts, you could add some oil before sealing

Jim
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I went from this

P4260002.jpg

To this

P4260003.jpg

in 3 minutes.
    Man you had me scared with that 22 minute thing. I do not like POWER DVD. It took over an hour to copy the movie. I think I'll stick with ELBY CLONEDVD 2.

Thanks for the link.
    edited November -1
    You've got mail.
    edited November -1
    do you have any good sources for 1911 hammers?
    I need one of the commander style hammers.
    edited November -1
    I forgot when the original 1080i 65" wouldn't come on when they delivered it, They brought out this one the next day...[;)]

DSCN0127.jpg
    edited November -1
    I just wanted to thank you again for the CD. My wife heard some of it tonite and now I have to make her some CD's off of it. Sounds of the '70's, awesome. QUEEN, BOSTON, VAN HALEN. Damn. You are the man and now I am the man because of it. Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Dan, explain the "hand polination" thing to me? how do I do it so that I don't cross pollinate peppers?
    edited November -1
    In response to your statement
    quote:If someone were to admit it, they could go to jail for having a machine gun.
    Mine is a Charter Arms AR-7.

a cook-off does not make a machine gun, no more than a bent firing pin

This is well documented and has been talked about on every forum I am on.

BATFE: Any Semi-Auto Can Be A Machine Gun
    by
    Larry Pratt

On July 2 I went to jail.

Happily for me, I left right away. Sadly for David Olofson and his family, he had to stay, and will have to stay for 30 months in the Federal Correctional Institute in Sandstone, Minnesota.

Why is the federal government incarcerating an Army reservist from Berlin, Wisconsin who has 16 years of service, a mortgage, a wife and three kids? They convicted him for knowingly transferring an unregistered machine gun.

Since the case was brought by the rogue agency -- the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) -- we must assume that not only was Olofson innocent until proven guilty, but that he is still innocent after conviction. That is why Gun Owners of America is handling Olofson's appeal.

As our attorneys have looked into the records of the case, it is obvious that a miscarriage of justice has been perpetrated. The chief piece of evidence is an AR-15 made by Olympic Arms many years ago. Olafson had loaned the gun to a young man, who was his neighbor. At a range the gun fired two bursts of three rounds each and then jammed. Normal people would understand that a gun that jams is malfunctioning and seek to get it fixed.

For the Bureau (aka The Gang), a malfunctioning gun is an excellent opportunity to rack up an easy conviction on an illegal machine gun charge.

The gun was tested twice... both times with very different results. The first test came back with a report that the gun is a semi-automatic rifle. The next test came back with a report that it had fired a 20-round burst, and was thus a machine gun.

Firearms Enforcement Officer Max Kingrey got the gun to do something it had never done before. Suspicions of tampering by FEO Kingery, such as the addition of an auto sear or DIAS (considered a machine gun itself) could not be verified, as the defense was denied the opportunity to inspect the gun's inner workings. FEO Kingery's testing was done in secret, and never verified by anyone.

In all probability, the Bureau tampered with evidence (the AR-15) and took a malfunctioning gun that jammed after a few rounds and converted it into a machine gun that dumped its magazine. Twenty-two years ago, a "drop in auto sear" or DIAS was made specifically for Olofson's rifle from the factory.

The Milwaukee BATFE agent, Jody Keeku, claims to have found the gun to be a machine gun when she checked it. That means she dry-fired it. A minimal knowledge of firearms (which seems to be above Ms. Keeku's pay grade) would be sufficient to conclude that a machine gun has to fire using its recoil from the first shot to set up and fire the next shot (until the burst control level is reached, or the finger is removed from the trigger).

Ms. Keeku claims to be a firearms expert, but when the defense asked to see her training credentials and certifications, she declined to testify. She is at least smart enough to see that she would have been made to look foolish on the stand.

Using two tests to "prove" that the gun is a machine gun goes to one of the big problems illustrating the lack of accountability with The Gang. On other occasions the Bureau has "proved" an accessory to be a machine gun by bolting it to a board and tying the bolt with a shoe string. Since the shoe string was what made the gun fire "automatically," it was declared to be a machine gun. So if you see a BATFE agent, you had better be wearing loafers!

The same outcome-based testing found that an Upper -- which ATF doesn't consider to be a firearm -- was a machine gun after covering it with duct tape. When that did not work, The Gang added chains, bolts and a piece of metal so the recoil could operate the gun automatically without a trigger. If you cock this not-so-handy device, it fires uncontrollably until empty. Not even a stupid bank robber would choose such a weapon. But then, we are talking about The Gang.

When a court-recognized firearms expert, Len Savage of Historic Arms, was brought in by the defense, he was not allowed to touch or test fire the gun. That is, not until the Bureau's agent at the trial broke the gun trying to reassemble it and asked for Savage's help in getting the gun back together.

Olympic Arms had been subject to a recall order by the BATFE in 1986. Why? Because many of the guns would fire a short burst and then jam. Then it was a malfunctioning gun, but now it is a machine gun. More outcome-based procedures.

Why was this information not presented to the court? Because the truth-challenged agents of The Gang told the court that not even the judge could see such privileged taxpayer information. Right. Unhappily, Olympic Arms did not have a copy of the order because their plant burned down in 2000.

The judge displayed extreme prejudice during the sentencing hearing. Olofson had successfully defended himself against anti-self defense local cops who twice charged him while he was openly carrying a handgun -- something that is legal in Wisconsin! But the judge stated that anybody who carries a gun is dangerous, and he was adding to the severity of the decision because of the charges against which Olofson had prevailed!

Never forget, the judge also denied Olofson's firearms expert access to the evidence used against him. BATFE was allowed to video tape the "test firing" of the firearm, not Olofson. The tape shown in court was only a few short seconds showing a gun at such a distance that it was not possible to tell that it was Olofson's gun.

Had Rep. Phil Gingrey's H.R. 1791 been law, it is safe to say that Olofson would not have been convicted. Gingrey's "Fairness in Firearm testing Act" would require an unedited video of firearms testing in criminal cases to be made available to the defense. This was a requirement imposed on The Gang by the U.S. Attorney in the U.S. vs. Glover case. When the video was reviewed by the prosecution, they dropped the case with prejudice (legal speak which means the case can never be brought up again).

Not only is Gun Owners of America representing Olofson during his appeal, we have set up an Olofson relief fund so that his wife and mother of their three young children will be able to keep making her mortgage and car payments.

Those interested in making a small monthly donation from a charge to their credit card can go to www.gunowners.org/olofson.htm or call GOA and arrange over the phone to have this done. All funds so collected will go toward the monthly payments, or if possible, to prepayment of the principal loan amounts. The automatic donations will cease when Olofson is out of prison or when the donor instructs GOA to discontinue them.

It is outrageous that an innocent man is in jail, but we are hoping to minimize the ugly impact of that on his family.

http://www.gunowners.org/op0850.htm
    edited November -1
    I am running Internet Explorer...7.0.5730.13 ...Am I up to date with it???
    edited November -1
    You have mail.

Mule
    edited November -1
    The peppers arrived today...man what a nice variety...they look great...thank you again for your generosity...gonna try them this weekend...reloader44mag
    edited November -1
    Do you want a strop?
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the cd. I got it today. How did you label that?
    edited November -1
    Peppers arrived and weren't even accompanied by a Haz-mat team [:D]

Looking forward to giving them a go with this evenings meal.
    Range report to follow.

Thx.

Mule
    edited November -1
    If you're still online reply please, I have Vista questions for you

Rick
    edited November -1
    You catch any of that "huge" rain? All we got is wind.. 70F out here!
    edited November -1
    You need to post more,I am only 24 behind you.

That or I need to shut up......
    edited November -1
    a lighter green to yellowish look to the younger, new growth leaves on the top of the peppers,...is this just the plants getting used to the sun?? They have been out for 3 weeks now. Or is this a need for magnesium/epsom salts???

also, they are only about 1 foot tall (plus a little), and they are trying to blossom. Am I correct in picking off the blossoms until I can get the plants larger??? I am thinking that being under the MH light for several months has them "off" on their time schedule and they are thinking it is time to set fruit.
    edited November -1
    I put in 40 plants from the seeds you sent last year (list them for you when I get home tonight) in the incubator with the heat pad and peat pellets on Sunday. Can you believe (you may not find it suprising since they came from you) that I saw one of the Hydro Bhut Jolokia seeds has already split open and let the runner come out this morning. Dude that is not even 2 full days!!!!!!![8D][8D][8D][^][^][^] I saw it at the top of the pellet soil, gently pushed it back, and saw what I thought I had seen,..the coating had already given way to the stalk.

does this happen often?? will the other varieties do this on occasion?? I am at 85*-90* internal temp under the dome, so I am sure the pellets being moist are probably right at 80*-85* as they should be.
    edited November -1
    This is in regard to your post on "Ask the Experts" about the progressive press topic. I'm not going to get into a pi**ing contest with you but your statements have a few holes, in my opinion. First, I don't know where you got you price for the Hornady but I have here on my desk one ad for $319 and another for $327 plus shipping. This includes measure and shell plate and one set of die adapters, comparable to the die head of the Dillon. I doubt that you are familiar with the Loc-N-Load power measure since you apparently use Dillon products. The metering inserts are extremely easy to change and I dedicate an insert to a set of dies. The metering insert costs about $7.00 and once locked, it is VERY difficult to change especially if a little adhesive is applied to the threads. Certainly cheaper than an entire powder measure. I believe changing the shell plate takes about the same amount of time and switching dies using either the Dillon complete head change out or Hornady's Loc-N-Load system is also a wash. As I said before, Dillon makes an excellent product and their service is, according to most people [I have no personal experience with them], excellent, but they are not the only game in town. A person needs to do a little resaerch and then make a decision based on one's findings and gut feeling. Basically, it's "pay your dollar and take your choice". One certainly won't go wrong with the Dillon but the Hornady is every bit as good.
    One last thing which probably is a moot point for most of us, but as I understand it, Dillon is "home owned". This is good as long as that lasts. What will happen to the company down the road? Look at Star, probably one of the best presses ever. For all intents and purposes gone! Even Magma only supports the luber and sizer but you have to get custom made nose punches if you want to size base first. Of course, anything can happen to any company but odds are Hornady will be here for quite a while.

"What you do ultimately means nothing, and you could be replaced tomorrow by the first passing cretin." Corinne Maier
    edited November -1
    where do you get your computer parts from?

Ive been told to shop at www.newegg.com
    but i dont know how "trustable" they are.
    edited November -1
    My seeds are soaking tonight, I have "biodome" greenhouses ready for their seed-cups and a heat-mat ready to roll. I think I will definitely have more peppers than tomatoes. I will be doing the tomatoes and green peppers around our patio and hot peppers will be caged off behind the third bay of the garage.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    same as you, for about 4-5 years, had charter pipeline before that, it slowed down every day around 5pm, and got kicked off every-few months for up to 3 days
    edited November -1
    same as you, for about 4-5 years, had charter pipeline before that, it slowed down every day around 5pm, and got kicked off every-few months for up to 3 days
    Same, only we had some kind of crappy dialup crap. You could NOT get on after 3pm until about 1am.

Dunno what the problem be. We have had it for quite a few years.. I know since 2004 at minimum, so, 5 years

Our router is about that old, also.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my first dsl modem was a speedstream 1 wired output, i used a router and ran cat5 to all the rooms, when we moved i got a free 2wire wireless with 4 wired connection {2700 hg} it is great, easy to use, i can access it through my browser no bs like most
    edited November -1
    I have the model they provided.. my router is an old dlink.