In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kimber 1911s...

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in General Discussion
You either love um or hate them?[:p]

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    edited November -1
    Love mine,,,[^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^]
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out of all the guns I've owned I have never had a Kimber one of these days I'll have to remedy that
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Got two and will be keeping both.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    getting rid of mine[:0]

not a 1911 it is a solo 9mm to small[V]
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An accurate but finicky firearm...

I still think they're neat.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love Both of mine....never had a problem with either, accurate, 100% reliable with every ammo I have tried from reloads to all weights of JHP's.

What's not to like...
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mine is at the FFl. Came yesterday.Hopefully the state of, scratch that, maybe the communist state of NJ will let me have it in a year or so[}:)][}:)][}:)] In the mean time, I can look at the pictures of it[:(!]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Just a thought. One of our club members has 2 of them, bought them both new, both have been back to the factory for warranty work. Granted, Kimber stood behind them both, and provided quality customer service. Her husband bought a new Ruger 1911 at the same time she bought her first Kimber. The Ruger cost half as much, it has been shot as much as both Kimber's, it has not missed a lick, and has not needed any warranty work.
    I have a Wilson, I bought it used, I paid twice what Jeannie paid for one of her Kimber's. I have had it 9 years, I've not ever had a problem, not had to replace any parts. In my humble opinion, Kimber is over priced, for what they claim to be, you can a more reliable 1911 for less money.
    That is just my opinion.
    W.D.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've owned three, all were good shooting guns. I've sold them all for other guns over the years, the most recent the Pro Raptor II was very accurate, I just didn't carry it and wanted something else more.

Of all the 1911s I have owned, which is quite a few my favorite is my RIA FS Tactical. It is a workhorse and I would not sell it for the $425 I paid for it. It is a gun I can use and abuse guilt free and it plenty accurate enough for self defense.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Forgive my ignorance...what is 'MIM'? (Made in Mexico?)

much cheaper and faster to manufacturer, but not as strong or durable as milled parts. A prime example of price is the difference between a 870 Express and 870 Police Magnum...the Express' fire control is made with plastic and MIM parts and the Police Magnum's fire control is made with milled parts. Which is part of the $100-200 price difference.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I agree MIM parts don't belong in Fire arms . for the most part Kimbers have been very good But trying to cut cost to build made for some vintages to be horrid. The Kimber II with External extractor and MIM barrels made in ASIA resulted in a lot of KABOOMS at least with guns of high use Round Count. most Bulls-EYE match shooters had trouble.But I think those problems have been fixed at least from a barrel stand-point.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As an RSO for 7 years Kimber (smaller commander and officer size) were the number one problem guns I had to help people with.

I have had 2 5" Kimber 1911s. I sold the Classic and I have missed it. It was flawless.
    I just trade a scope for a Kimber Gold Match an older one that had less then 100 rounds through it and it is very nice and so far 100%

I am always amazed how people buy Kimber conceal guns which requires a minum of 250 rounds before it can be carried as if that is how it should be.

If Rock Island can make an officer that works out of the box Kimber should (And yes, I have a RIA officer and it is 100%)

A 5" Kimber particularly an older one with milled parts is a good gun but the smaller I simply do not trust

Does anyone know the SN point they switched to MIM parts? Or, did they use MIM at all when the built in NY?
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the very early Pro Carry models. Very accurate, ever had an issue, love the gun. I suppose I got it way before the MIM days mentioned above.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]image3177.jpg

[:)]
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pro Carry II. Love it.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    [:D]Bawahahahahahahahaha[:D]quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Forgive my ignorance...what is 'MIM'? (Made in Mexico?)
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pro Carry HD. It is fine, but has not inspired me to more. Colt is more to my taste.

The Ruger 1911s work perfectly as well. Sometimes carry the Commander.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pro Carry and an Ultra Carry.

Have had them for around 10 years, and alternate between them as a carry piece.

Had a couple of failures in the first 100 rounds or so, but that has been 10 years, and no problems since.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    BLKSRT8BLKSRT8 Member Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]
  • Options
    17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Want to love them, but hate their lack of customer service...[V]
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't really have any opinions on the Kimbers. My buddy bought one a while back but hasn't shot it yet. On the other hand I get my new Para Ordnance .45 tomorrow at a third of the price of the Kimber.
  • Options
    cndrdkcndrdk Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have an Ultra Raptor .45 that I carry and have had no problems with. On the other hand, I have a Solo that I leave on the dash of my car with windows open hoping that someone will steal it. No luck so far!
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Kimber was originally known as one of the higher quality 1911-type pistols and priced accordingly.

Along came their GM, Ron Cohen, and his idea to maximize profits by cutting every corner possible. This is when those MIM internals started showing up.

Kimber soon began a slow decline and became just another hit/miss quality clone, but their prices stayed as if they were still a higher end gun.

History then began to repeat itself...

Cohen managed to get himself hired as SIG's CEO 5 years or so ago and is now in the process of destroying their standing as a respected firearm manufacturer. Their Classic Series pistols that have always been so highly regarded are now also filled with MIM internals - and I'm seeing parts break like never before.

Nowadays when people approach me for advice on purchasing a SIG I tell them to buy an older type that's in good shape and replace all it's springs. The cosmetics might not be as good, but as a carry gun it's actually better than what you'll get NIB.

As I said, same story as Kimber. [:(]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    I don't really have any opinions on the Kimbers. My buddy bought one a while back but hasn't shot it yet. On the other hand I get my new Para Ordnance .45 tomorrow at a third of the price of the Kimber.

I really want to know what you think if it.
    Please post when you have some feedback.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my Stainless Gold Match
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you know if your Kimber has MIM parts on it?

Trinity +++
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    How do you know if your Kimber has MIM parts on it?

Second that.
    C'mon TXS we want details, dates etc or SN changes or if it was built in NY are those GTG 1911s etc etc.

Are you saying Sigs have MIM parts now?
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since Forgemonkey works with metal I will defer to him, however jet fighters also use MIM parts and many web references indicate that if they use the correct metals they can be heat treated, welded Etc.

IMHO MIM is going to be in all firearms made for profit eventually if not already.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wulfmann
    Are you saying Sigs have MIM parts now?They've been using MIM internal components for several years now.

It's not a definitive cutoff, but if you have a rail framed SIG Classic it probably contains them.
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the two Kimber 1911s I have, but agree with many of the comments in this thread. They had a run of so-so quality and if you purchased during that period you may have had some issues. Mine run fine and have been reliable. I also have a SA TRP which cost about the same but in my opinion is a better pistol.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Pro Carry II that is over ten years old, and made in NY.

It's quality seems great. I have never had a problem with it, and it shoots great.

I still don't know if it has MIM parts, but I'll check it close like some here have said.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the investment casting that Ruger uses MIM parts?From what I understand Rugers are nearly all investment cast.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,382 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Yes Rugers are investment cast. Different animal than MIM.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maalox
    I like the two Kimber 1911s I have, but agree with many of the comments in this thread. They had a run of so-so quality and if you purchased during that period you may have had some issues. Mine run fine and have been reliable. I also have a SA TRP which cost about the same but in my opinion is a better pistol.

+1

How you doing David?[;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I tend to step back, and look. Colts made in 1920, and the US&S' made in 1945 (and etc. and etc.), still run, and they did from day one, which is how the gun gained its reputation. But many Kimbers made over 70 years later, and which people are expected to have to trade their car for, are suspect?

Gimme my prewar, wartime, and 1950's - made stuff, LOL. [:)] It was all made when you got your money's worth.
  • Options
    molarmakermolarmaker Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just purchased Custom elite II 10 mm 1911 went to the range once, purchased 80 rds for $124.00 100% fired, great trigger very very accurate Range officer wanted to shoot it but no ammo left. Reloaded 300 rds hope to get back this weekend.
    My Sigs 226 239 perfect no fte's my 229 and mosquito plenty of fte sent 229 back to the factory, they talked me into a trigger job on the srt (made a wonderful trigger) but still have fte's
    Which reminds me its been more than 3 wks since I left a message on Bo's answering machine, havent heard back
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For what ever it's worth Colt had frame and slide cracks and failures on some of the guns made for the marines and still won the contract.

As I mentioned earlier all gun makers are going to be using MIM parts, so you better hope the QC goes up. MIM in itself isn't so bad.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,382 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    As I mentioned earlier all gun makers are going to be using MIM parts, so you better hope the QC goes up. MIM in itself isn't so bad.

Agreed, and like a lot of things new, it's automaticly no good because it's just not old school. I agree there's some issues right now, but it'll come around. In 10-15 years the conversation will go something like this: Gun owner: "I want a forged(whatever)part." Parts guy: "Why the hell would you want that?" Gun owner: "My Pappy says all that MIM stuff is junk." Parts guy: "Look, that was 10-15 years ago. MIM has come a long way in that time. Yeah sure, I can get your forged part, but it'll cost 6-8 times what a MIM part will cost, and last half as long."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can someone who knows Kimbers relative to era tell me about this Classic Gold Match?
    Seems they dropped the term "Classic" at some point on these.
    It is a deep blue that seems to be patina-ed or maybe they came this way?
    Interestingly the slide is electro-penciled to the frame on the inside
    Original owner shot 50 rounds through it and kept it as a nightstand gun.
    Didn't think to ask how old it was when I traded for it

]Kimber-C-GM-L_zps9ce50ca1.jpg

Kimber-C-GM-R-CL_zps4c012c2f.jpg
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wulf that Kimber is one of them bad ones I'll do you a favor and give you 50 bucks on the auction side for it in a BIN, just let me know when you put it up !! [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]quote:Originally posted by Wulfmann
    Can someone who knows Kimbers relative to era tell me about this Classic Gold Match?
    Seems they dropped the term "Classic" at some point on these.
    It is a deep blue that seems to be patina-ed or maybe they came this way?
    Interestingly the slide is electro-penciled to the frame on the inside
    Original owner shot 50 rounds through it and kept it as a nightstand gun.
    Didn't think to ask how old it was when I traded for it

]Kimber-C-GM-L_zps9ce50ca1.jpg

Kimber-C-GM-R-CL_zps4c012c2f.jpg