In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Injured vet ,could use a hand: update

1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in General Discussion
Ok guys in gals I have never asked for a thing from anyone here, but I am asking now, if just a thought or a prayer would be nice from all of you

Here is a link to tell you about helping out a reserve marine I know who was crushed between a hummer and a ammo trailer in iraq

he is standing no more, he was fortunate enough to lift himself up a bit and took the hit at his pelvis which was totally crushed into fragments, tail bone was broken off, urethra tore out,bowels etc. ,and will reside in a wheel chair{Walking again is still to be determined}, he has several large pins holding him together, and catheters for who knows how long, mike is in good spirits, probably better than I would be, he was a pillar of health before he was called to duty, and came back broken, read the bottom of his part of the web page anything to help keep him occupied, and some expenses uncle sam does not cover

thanks

UPDATE: mike has made a miraculous recovery, doctors told him he would never walk again, being a full blooded marine he didn't take this very well, not only is he walking he made the min walk in pt to get rein listed so he could finish out his career, he is assigned to a desk job, and does have some problems but he has his dignity back, and can function again, thanks again to all that lend-ed a hand, not only did you help him a bit financually, you helped him know why he is a soldier for all of us

Comments

• 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    p.s. if you call them or send something let them know 1911a1 fan from gb sent you
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Prayers sent!

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November -1
    Prayers sent for him & his family..

1911a1fan, do you know him personally? Would be interested in helping with a small donation.. Sorry to be cynical, but theres so many scams out there..

texas.gifwaco.gif
    "I aspire to inspire before I expire"
    www.texasminutemen.org
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    You bet, prayers will be sent and I'll try to drop him a call this week. Thanks for the info and the effort to highlight this man's plight.

NSDQ!
    www.nightstalkers.com

NS_Crest.jpgr6team.gifAmerican_IR_Flag.jpg
    DropRopes.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
    edited November -1
    quote:1911a1fan, do you know him personally?

Yes I do, while I do know him on more of a casual basis , I would not have put this up here if it did not touch me deeply, if you spent ten minutes with mike you would be touched as well, and it is one of those situation you get at a loss for words for his sacrifice

To me this is one of those situations the media does not show you, and needs more attention to all of those young soldiers that have made similar sacrifices

Thanks again
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    prayers sent...

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November -1
    Thanks 1911a1fan, in the mail tomorrow..

texas.gifwaco.gif
    "I aspire to inspire before I expire"
    www.texasminutemen.org
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Done.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, it means a lot to me, I sat on the idea of posting this here for a few weeks actually
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]Prayers sent, 1911-and my wife and I will continue for a while. One of my sons just went to Iraq for (they say) 6 months-He's Air Force and will trouble shoot the F16's because they're having trouble with the AVIONICS maintenance, so We'll pray for them all-steady----JIMBO

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Greater Love hath no man.

Praying for him.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER Forget RUBY RIDGE
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
    Lock and load
  • capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will send donation to the fund this week. Since I am 100% service connected disabled, I have appointments almost every week at the VA Hospital. Last week, I had to have some minor surgery done and as I sat in the waiting room, I couldn't help but notice the men 1/3 my age with missing legs and arms waiting to have their amputations checked out by the surgeons.
    All I could think is the life the life ahead of them - and for what reason we're in this damn war. I admit I supported it at the very beginning but now I feel its time to to get our troops out and let the Arabs do whatever they want in their country as long as our country isn't directly threatened by them.
    One American killed or wounded isn't worth any Arab country or the fanatics that live there.
    Having been a grunt in the jungles of Vietnam and in reality being nothing but a political pawn - I think I earned the right to object to the terribly high price we're paying everyday in American lives for people who hate our guts.
    John
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a brother that lives in Glen Carbon and will have him go over and leave something at the shop. He needs to spend some money there anyway, I just gave him a S&W 5906 as a gift.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA PATRON-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
    edited November -1
    Prayers sent

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the thoughts and donations

Capecod, yes it really does change your attitude when you see the injured soldiers, before you witness it or meet one it is easy to be a armchair critic whether it be for or against the war, and I did ask him his view without getting political, his reply was to me short and to the point" well he is my commander in chief, he sent me to war, and I did what I signed on for"

CHGOTHNDER, glen carbon is just down the road, very nice town too,I live only a few miles west, mike is there today {Tuesday} he will be keeping score for us at a match tonight, ask him to come on down and introduce himself
  • dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by capecod
    I admit I supported it at the very beginning but now I feel its time to to get our troops out and let the Arabs do whatever they want in their country as long as our country isn't directly threatened by them.
    One American killed or wounded isn't worth any Arab country or the fanatics that live there.

Capecod, I'm beginning feel the same way.
    This past weekend, I read an article about the Floridians killed in Iraq, Afghanistan and Kuwait, complete with their photos and a brief biography on their lives and how they paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

That was a big wake up call for me and my opinion of this war.
    Thank you for your service to our country, God Bless You.

1911: I will be sending a donation. Hope Mike makes a full and speedy recovery.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I read the "UPDATE" I literally got goose bumps on my arms.

GREAT NEWS

Thanks for that update.
    edited November -1
    Praise God! Thanks for the update![8D]
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great to hear of Mike's recovery.

Those Marines are tough!
  • KimbercoltKimbercolt Member Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    46270 had a similar story, he stays in pain. If I had to deal with
    the pain, I just dont know how he gets thru it.