In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger P series - who likes them????

rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
I have 2, a P95 and a P95DC and I must say they are way under value IMO. they shoot great and the 95 has a decocker type hammer with a safety and the DC has decocker on the side and no safety. you can leave one in the pipe on the DC and use the trigger to fire. (like a Keltec but with a hammer) I took my CWP test with the 95 and had a perfect score on target. we ended up at 50 feet for the last 5 rounds fired.

not too heavy, reliable and not quite full size , considered a 3/4 size pistol I'm guessing. 15 round mag.

paid $325 for the 95 and $270 for the 95DC. don't know why they are that cheap but I'm glad they are.[:)]

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Ruger P series - who likes them????I do. I have an unadulterated P85, except it has a idiot scratch on it now.[V][:(] It does not like 115 gr. bullets very well. 124 grain bullets will reduce the group size by half. Goes bang every time.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a P 94 it has been very reliable and I still carry it quite a bit the FN and it are about the only plastic guns that I've kept
  • Options
    edited November -1
    and yet they get no respect;

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/761258026

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/761176046

I don't see how dollar for dollar you can beat it
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I have the P89 and have never had an issue.
    It's my bedside gun.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Had a P85. Liked it. Built like a tank.

Sold it when in between jobs, to pay bills.

I hate parting with guns I like.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    It's my bedside gun.

didn't the 85 and 89's take marlin camp 9 type mags? I have some 30 rounders for the sub 2000 that I believe fit those. won't work in the 95's
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Good, solid, utilitarian gun. Had a P 85 but the grip is too wide for me to shoot well. Held on to it for years because as said no one would give you what they are worth. Dealers wouldnt even give you $150 for them. It was worth that to me as a backup gun. Finally sold it to my BIL
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rambo rebel
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    It's my bedside gun.

didn't the 85 and 89's take marlin camp 9 type mags? I have some 30 rounders for the sub 2000 that I believe fit those. won't work in the 95's

I'm not sure on that but, I do have one 30 rounder for mine.
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also qualified with a P-95. The P- series fits my hand well and I can shoot pretty good with them.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to some I commited an unthinkable act with a Ruger P series pistol.

I had a P90 .45 (think it was a 90), hated it, hated it with a passion and regretted ever buying it. So one day I?m in the local gunshop and in the case was a brand new Llama Mini Max .40S&W, shiney with black rubber grips. I asked if I could check out that Llama and the instant it hit my hands I was in love. The fit to my hands was perfect, gun was slender so concealing it would not be an issue.

It had a price tag of around $250, asked the salesman if he wanted to do a trade, he said sure, whatcha got? I went to my pickup, grabbed that P90, unloaded it and walked in and placed it on the counter. Salesman kinda shocked asked if I wanted to trade that, I said yup, he asked if I was sure, I said yup, 5 minutes later after some paperwork I walked out with that Llama, even up trade, that was in the early 90s, still have that Llama and to this day I still have no regrets making that trade.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bricks with triggers, however I do greatly admire the SR1911 series.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my P95DC Great Gun. Highly reliable. Simple & accurate.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a P85, P85II, P89, P90, P94, P95 and a PC9 carbine.
    Also MKII, SP101 and a SR1911 Commander.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've carried one(KP95DC) since they were introduced until my shoulder problems forced me to switch to a cross draw. The butt of the 95 series just projects too far past my body in a crossdraw so I have to use a smaller revolver.
    I'll go back to the 95 when my shoulder gets fixed.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like them. I like Glocks. I like Jeeps.

I like blocky things. [:D]

Jon
  • Options
    jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own 2 p-95dc one lives in a holster mounted under the drivers seat off my work van the other lives in a tool cabinet in my garage. lots of brass thru them with no hiccups. fit my hand and very accurate. would use it for carry but a bit to cumbersome .
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought the Wife a p95DC about 16 years ago as a bedside table gun, She wanted something without a safety in case she needed actually needed it in the middle of the night, She already has a S&W model 14 but wanted an auto..You could not pry that gun away from Her,,Everytime we go shooting its a toss up between it and Her 1911 which one she shoots the most
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine has a P89. It got stolen, dumped in the woods for a few years then found. Cleaned up a few cosmetics, detail stripped and oiled it and it went "bang" perfectly. I picked up one subsequent, in 9mm with a 30 Luger barrel. Uses the same magazines, lots of fun. Generally a great price too. Even in CA about $350.00 LNIB.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a few years,when the price of long discontinued P series Rugers go through the roof,we will be looking back when they were dirt cheap.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My p95 goes everywhere with me, only thing it wont do is pick up my empty brass.

Total cost was $275.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.