In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR trigger

bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in General Discussion
I'm setting up my Colt AR for Coyote's, I've got a Leopold AR scope and a Harris bipod but the rifle has that stock 3000 lb trigger pull.
I'd like to get a good trigger job (around 3 lb pull).

Would prefer not to send the whole rifle anywhere and I don't necessarily want to have to refinance my house to pay for it either.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

Comments

• RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    I really enjoy the RRA two-stage trigger. Try it and I believe you'll like it better than what you have now. There may be something out there better, but I don't know about it if there is.
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    google ~ chip mccormick ar trigger

[^]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever look at Brownells?
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Best money spent for an after market trigger for practical field use is the 2 stage Rock River Arms.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RogueStatesman

I really enjoy the RRA two-stage trigger. Try it and I believe you'll like it better than what you have now. There may be something out there better, but I don't know about it if there is.

I agree with this suggestion,.....why send it out when you can install one yourself that breaks like glass?[;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    quote:Originally posted by RogueStatesman

I agree with this suggestion,.....why send it out when you can install one yourself that breaks like glass?[;)]

I installed a RRA National match trigger on my last build, its nice. My Bushmaster Carbon 15 trigger is just as good IMO.
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was reading up on the RRA trigger and I believe it said that it was NOT for the Colt's. Is this correct or did I miss something?
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot
    I was reading up on the RRA trigger and I believe it said that it was NOT for the Colt's. Is this correct or did I miss something?

I think that's for older Colts - wider pins. You can get a RRA 2 stage for $89.00 (shipping included) from ar15sales.com out of NH.
    edited November -1
    My Colt is was made in the mid to late 80's (pre ban era)
  • MrM1A1MrM1A1 Member Posts: 2,764 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look into the Timney drop in setup. They are smooth as butter and easy as pie to install.
  • 9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put an Armalite 2-stage match trigger in my varminter AR and it's a huge improvement over the stock one.

Never have put a guage on it, but it improved my groups considerably.

Installed it myself in about 20 minues and cost around $120 if I remember right.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Chip Mc Cormick drop in triggers in 2 of my AR's. They are 1 stage curved and I use them for 3-gun competition and shooting yotes. I love'em, very smooth and no creep.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should have built it on a Superior Arms lower it has a set screw built into the receiver that takes up slack for no additional charge.
    It's probably the best standard trigger that money can buy. And it costs you nothing extra.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    I built my AR trigger piece by piece. It has a 7 lbs trigger pull. Exactly how I like it. Its not a horribly strong trigger pull and it is very crisp. You can't accidentally fire it, if you pull the trigger it is on purpose.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input, I think that I'm going with the RRA trigger although the one that fits the early Colt (with sear block) cost more.
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrM1A1
    Look into the Timney drop in setup. They are smooth as butter and easy as pie to install.

+1 on a Timney. I have one in my AR, it has a 3 pound pull, no creep, and it breaks like glass. Easy install too, drops right in.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Colt makes a match trigger/hammer and spring setup that weighs in at about 3-4 lbs (it is adjustable but I don't know enough gunsmithing to fool with it!) and will work fine in just about any Colt lower:
    [img][/img]100_0062.jpg
    The pins and the trigger are a silver color:
    [img][/img]100_0061.jpg
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot
    Thanks for all the input, I think that I'm going with the RRA trigger although the one that fits the early Colt (with sear block) cost more.

It will still be cheaper then the trigger MC has listed above.
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Hey Mark, where did you get the wood furniture for that AR?
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PATBUZZARD
    Hey Mark, where did you get the wood furniture for that AR?

I bought that pistol grip from CDNN about eight years ago, maybe even longer than that. I have small hands for an adult man and while it has a nice range of adjustment, it is probably going to be too small for guys with large hands and it is probably for that reason that they discontinued them. If you look at the first photo you can see that the base is adjusted nearly all the way down and as I said, I have small hands!
    [img][/img]100_0059.jpg
    [img][/img]100_0060-2.jpg
    it is a nice grip; walnut with a very comfortable stippled finish and finger grooves (which are rather small).
  • CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    $200+-
    Jewell Trigger Assembly AR-15 Small Pin .154" Two Stage Matte
    can adjust from 1 to 7 lb pull
    709049.jpg

$200+-
    Timney Trigger AR-15 Small Pin .154" 3 lb Single Stage Solid
    564523.jpg

I had the Jewell, a buddy of mine has the Timney, I like mine better, but they're both good.

www.midwayusa.com
    edited November -1
    Mark
    That's sweet set up you've got there.
  • swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    i have a couple of questions. what is a "two-stage" trigger? also, what exactly is 'creep' and 'take-up'?
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    A two stage trigger has two stages, A take up or press stage, then a break stage.

I perfer a single stage trigger on a preadtor rifle. It has no take up or press stage, just a break stage.

Thats my own terminology.

The Chip mccormic "flat" trigger unit Is one of the best I have ever used.

It is a single stage trigger, Mine breaks nice and clean.

It comes in handy to have a single stage trigger when you are shooting at running things far away.

A two stage trigger is better when shooting at paper or at tiny targets IMHO.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • azpowerwagonazpowerwagon Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    J&L Research makes a 'drop in trigger adjuster' for around $44. Brownells carries them. It replaces the factory grip screw and is adjustable for the sear engagement. Just something else to look at.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, the RRA has a small amount of 'take up' and then when you are ready it feels like breaking a very fine glass rod with no overtravel,.....hence the 'two stage' designation.

Hope that description came through right!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner