In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what is happening to all the auctions.

chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
Looks like the number of auctions list has dropped by around 30% over the last few weeks??

Comments

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A wonderful thing is happening. Things are becoming more streamlined. No more abuse of the system. No more relisting things non stop that will not sell....no more listing things for three days so they stay at the top and relisting them so they bog down the "ending soon" items.....its pure heaven for the true users of the website. I love it!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    99% of the listings would drop off if the items were true auctions.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bingo........
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They don?t necessarily have to be auctions, just not some crazy price or shady looking listing with one picture that will never sell because whoever listed it put so little effort in their sale that it?s pretty much a waste of time. If something doesn?t sell for a long time and no changes ever happen to help it sell it?s just wasting bandwidth.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How long can an item be relisted before it is banned?
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swearengine
    How long can an item be relisted before it is banned?

I am not a seller so I wouldn't know. However I have some searches I do regular. Some of them have guns that have been listed for a long damn time. I never wrote down dates or anything but some of them have to be in excess of a year.

It's funny. I'll do a search and it will show 3-4 pages of listing. Some times a couple of them will have bid, the starting prices on the rest are ridicules. The guns started at a reasonable price and the penny auctions will have bids.

I'm not complaining, it's not my site and makes no difference to me. I just find it funny.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are now a lot less items clogging up the pages at stupid prices and silly games (Like a reserve and bids higher than NR auction next to them but still not high enough to cover the reserve, give me a break we are not stupid)
    Plus there are the high priced items that roll over forever that no one will bid on because they are above retail another give me a break.

The items now on are for sale and rather than a reserve some may be over priced but at least they now have a limit of reruns.

Great move by GB on these new rules
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    7 years ago a poster commented on how gb was starting to look like feebay.
    all I did was answer him and I got booted off for 7 years.
    so, if you think im going to comment again, that's pure comedy.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some folks are just lucky. [:D] [:D]
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, there are a couple sellers on this forum that are notorious for overpricing their items (when they do not do a penny start) and when it was pointed out their price was exorbitantly high, their response was we are going to list this at a STEAL and see who wants to buy it, i.e. suckers. Hence the item was relisted for 5 months.

Another's response was, it is mine and I can ask what I want. And 6 months later he was still asking, actually had increased his price.

Don't believe these items ever sold.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    chum chum,
    gb is in business to make money. kudos for them. what they decide to do is im sure, the result of years of inputs from keen business majors who studied the markets.
    some lead some follow. its the owners choice.
    the trend today is that true auctions are for the most part no longer exciting.
    sellers don't want to take a loss on a low bid and buyers don't want to overpay.
    pretty simple.
    so what are both sides left with?
    retail.
    sellers set a price, buyers buy it or pass on it.
    thus...why you see so many high prices and the practice of having a (store) with buy it now prices.
    all fair in love and war.
    the issue that deserves attention is....what made gb unique was the excitement of the bid.
    there are numerous ways for sellers to feel out the market. one is the famous reserve price where they get to see what people are willing to pay and the long run auction, where sellers post an auction and wait for the market to 'catch up' to the asking price.
    alls fair in love and war.
    what I fear gb has done is...eliminated the option for sellers to feel out the market on long run auctions, by not allowing them to sit with free relists.
    this in a sense is forcing sellers to list it at the exact price needed to make a profit and takes away the fun of bidding something up. and, if it doesn't sell.....off it goes. never to be seen again. gun shops that at least had a chance of selling something over time, will be more cluttered with things not selling, forcing markets to decline.
    in a sense, gb is moving towards being a retail gun site.
    granted, there are some folks who still do the start low and bid it up. and of course we know its because they most likely got the gun in dirt cheap and don't need to make a killing. (classic pawn shop scenario.)
    but for little guys and ma/pa sellers clearing out there closets? its going to hurt.
    and worst off....itll drive away gb sellers who will go to plain old gun sale websites, like the big ones already out there doing very well, that don't have all the red tape and fees and sliding scales assoc. with auctions.

and don't be fooled...a good majority of sellers here are on all those other websites too. its all about exposure. and if their exposure is reduced here...itll just pop up somewhere else. that is a negative outcome in business. youre not suppose to drive business away.

I learned a lot in Siberia.

itll be interesting to see how it plays out.
    I wish gb well.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski

Why do you keep bringing this crap up?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1

Bob, I'm telling you for what is going to be the last time...leave it alone. Leaving it alone also includes your making "no comment" comments about Captain Fun. He's gone, you're here. Isn't that good enough? We didn't bring you back so that you could rag on about your being banned. You were told that you were on probation, and that was the truth.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    youre right mark.

nobody cares about my past. time has marched on.

so ok. no more. moving on.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    did the emailing to sellers and support on auction side ever get resolved? I still cant get a hold of anyone over there to resolve that. I fill out the automated msg's and give them my email, but I get a feeling since they asked for my account name, they are sending answers to to my closed acct and I cant access it.
    if anyone has an idea on how to get a msg to a real person, lmk.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter

Why do you keep bringing this crap up?

+1000
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner