In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kudos and thanks to AdamsQuailHunter!

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in General Discussion
A big public Thank You to AQH for helping me complete my giveaway to Varian. He had posted his e-mail address on the forums previously and volunteered to do it again so that Varian could contact him with his address and then he forwarded it on to me. Steve had my e-mail addy due to a giveaway that I had won from him back when the e-mail system still worked. A bit of a complicated way to complete the GAW, but it all worked out.
BTW, Steve, that fly reel I won in your GAW looks/works really good on the old 8' Cortland fly rod I mounted it on. Thanks again!

Comments

• Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lets get this perfectly clear... The email function in the forums does not work if the sender or the receiver has the option turned off in their preferences.... I have tested this personally every time someone whines about it.... It works just like it is supposed to.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll re-check my settings, and will encourage everyone else to, but one day things worked fine for me and the next they wouldn't. Even Mark Christian reported having troubles with it.
    Not trying to argue here, just pointing out what's happening out here in the boonies.

Edit;
    Okay, I just went in and checked my settings. E-mail was on. I shut it off and then back on just in case and then tried sending myself an e-mail. Nothin'.
    Would others please check their settings and then send me a test message through the forums? Mebbe we can figure something out.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just sent myself a message, and it didn't go through.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    I'll re-check my settings, and will encourage everyone else to, but one day things worked fine for me and the next they wouldn't. Even Mark Christian reported having troubles with it.
    Not trying to argue here, just pointing out what's happening out here in the boonies.

Edit;
    Okay, I just went in and checked my settings. E-mail was on. I shut it off and then back on just in case and then tried sending myself an e-mail. Nothin'.
    Would others please check their settings and then send me a test message through the forums? Mebbe we can figure something out.

Just sent you one again, remember I tried several times last month, but I attributed it then to possibly me being "across the pond" when I attempted to contact you.

Mule
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Edit;

I did the same when I figured out where to check the settings. I sent you and email through the system to see what happens.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So ... Would someone please tell me (precisely) how to check, set and save the proper email settings that would allow me to both send and receive emails to other members.

I have always ha the ability to both send and receive and I personally have not made any type of change to any setting on my computer ..... but now I can not send or receive emails from other members.

I just checked my settings in "profile" and the current setting is "YES" to allow emails ........ so I don't know what the deal is unless there is another setting I don't know about.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would also like to thank AQH for his relay assist for my giveaway. [^]
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the top right of the screen above were it shows you logged on with your member name...

Click on profile...

There is a box for that allows the option to allow or deny members sending you an email

The selection to receive mail is "yes"

Check or confirm your listed email addy on the same page

Of course I have done this a dozen times and have the boxed checked yes and have a valid email add and I never receive a single email and none of the messages I send ever get received.

I have tested it as naseum with no joy

Try sending me a message - anyone please feel free to test the system

It does not work

Any mod or admin feel free to review my account or check my settings at anytime and let me know what I am doing wrong cause it just don't work for me

No offense - not an attack or a criticism - I am to stupid to make it work I guess

If I subscribe to a topic I will get update emails from automated GB mailer function so I know it's a good email add

I know it's a sore subject - sorry

I wish it worked.

Mike
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry Capt, but I haven't been able to send or receive emails from forum members either and I have double checked my email settings many times in the past and it's been on since I joined (except when I turned it off and then on again to check).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040

Edit;

I did the same when I figured out where to check the settings. I sent you and email through the system to see what happens.

I didn't get anything, from anyone, but thanks for trying!
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    The system had only been working sporadically for quite some time and in the past I don't know 6 months or more it hasn't worked at all.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....I get all kinds of nasty emails....I didn't know so many rude people were on this forum....[:o)][:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...I just tried sending myself an email...didn't work..would some of you folks try emailing me ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just sent a message to myself. Took 30 seconds to get here...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    ...I just tried sending myself an email...didn't work..would some of you folks try emailing me ?

It very well could be your ISP. Since the email is spoofing your address, but it is not coming from your ISP, it is coming from our server your server may reject it... I sent a test to one of my guys on gmail and he got it no problem..
  • Options
    edited November -1

I just sent you an email
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just rechecked the system profile preferences again and attempted to send a message or email through the system to forgemonkey

Again if I subscribe to a topic here I get update emails at the profile email add with no problem...

But when I send a message it seems to evaporate into the thin air

I have been told that messages were sent to me especially when I was essentially in a coma in the ICU for two weeks and stopped posting.

I did not receive them.

It's a gmail addy - one I have posted here for all to see

If a subscribed topic update email gets to it why will a message from a member not...

Again I may just be to stupid to figure it out.

Mike
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just sent one to myself, and received nothing. It's not an issue on my end, with my ISP or otherwise, and I can't stress that enough. Genuinely, this is the only site I have email issues with.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on Adams Quail Hunter...

He Steve is the best !
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Almost everyone that is complaining about this is using AOL. MrMike check to make sure that your email is correct in the system, I know gmail works with this.

The way this software works is that it makes the email look like it came from your email... However if the receiving email server checks it can clearly see that your mail server did not send it. That is known as spoofing. Lots of spammers use this technique therefore many ISPs block emails that are not coming from the place that they say they are...
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just e-mailed half a dozen members (at least) on this thread. I am not on AOL,....I'll report back.[:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    I just e-mailed half a dozen members (at least) on this thread. I am not on AOL,....I'll report back.[:)]

MSN probably does the same thing...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As stated I get topic subscription update emails from the system to the addy in my profile...

My emails have been posted in the clear here several times.

Primary is a yahoo and secondary is a gmail

I have checked the spam and junk and trash folders and settings on my phone and by signing into my email accounts on Makailas laptop

I am sorry to join what has become a pile on topic

I sent forgemonkey a message today with no reply

I am lucky enough to have the email addys of a dozen good folk here

The rub for me is that to my surprise many members here seem to read my cancer posts and get concerned when I am absent.

In what was surely a mistake when I found the message system non functional I posted my emails in the clear...

This has led to a stream of harmful and vile hateful emails from one now locked out member and one current member...

Both of whom are in communication and complicit and send stuff from dummy ips and bogus email addys

Some people just hate me it appears.

And no I will not name them - and must note that several mods and admin posted for me to reveal who they are because they also found the behavior repugnant.

I have called them out in the gd forum to air their grievances and make their attacks in the open for others to see - in front of all and in the light of day.

I would like to send and receive private messages and emails but it's not the end of the world and I did not intend it to seem like an attack on the mods here or the forum.

I have followed the advice and instructions given to no avail.

Of course maybe every one I ever sent a message to simply declined to reply

Consider it a closed issue.

If anybody would like me emails just ask and I will post them again

Sorry.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

OK,...changed my forum e-mail to my Gmail address, and sent them again. I also mailed myself 5 minutes ago, and nothing yet.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

And Frontier Communications, too?
  • Options
    edited November -1

Very likely. It is a common spam prevention technique. We get around it on the auction side, but that technique will not work here because this is now hosted in the cloud and not on our servers...
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Just sent one to you Capt.
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost everyone that is complaining about this is using AOL. MrMike check to make sure that your email is correct in the system, I know gmail works with this.

The way this software works is that it makes the email look like it came from your email... However if the receiving email server checks it can clearly see that your mail server did not send it. That is known as spoofing. Lots of spammers use this technique therefore many ISPs block emails that are not coming from the place that they say they are...

Nope, gmail doesn't work either. Changed my email to my gmail account and sent a test email. No email in my gmail, fail [:p]
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Just sent one to you Capt.

The good Captain got my email fine.
    And, I have Gmail.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot

I just sent you an email

nothing....
  • Options
    edited November -1

Very likely. It is a common spam prevention technique. We get around it on the auction side, but that technique will not work here because this is now hosted in the cloud and not on our servers...

So how can we fix it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Simple,just send your email address to whom you post to...in other words, I have an email address that I will post on the forum for everyone to see...but it aint me...[:o)][8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Since it works for some people and not others and the NOTs have a lot in common it is clearly not on our end. We know it works most of the time in gmail and yahoo. However, there are spam setting in those servers that will prevent it from getting through. I will have my QA guys try to look at it, but they are really behind the 8 ball right now working on real stuff...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What ever you can accomplish, I will be grateful...! Thanks for the forum.....[;)]When are you coming down Cap'n?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No responses to any of my mails, and the one I sent to myself never appeared. This was with my Gmail account.

I used to get notes from other members all the time. Something is clearly wrong, but,.....whatever.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When are you coming down Cap'n?

Don't know yet. Both girls are in College and working as much as they can over break. It will be a very quick trip.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No responses to any of my mails, and the one I sent to myself never appeared. This was with my Gmail account.

I used to get notes from other members all the time. Something is clearly wrong, but,.....whatever.

You are looking in your spam bucket right?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When are you coming down Cap'n?

Don't know yet. Both girls are in College and working as much as they can over break. It will be a very quick trip.
    Let me know.....got something for you...
  • Options
    edited November -1

You are looking in your spam bucket right?

Yes.