In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stainless Steel Kitchen Appliances

PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
As I remodel my kitchen I've been watching a lot of those home improvement shows for ideas. One of the biggest trends seem to be stainless steel appliances. However when I go to the store it appear only about one third of their offerings are SS. That means there is still a bigger market for white, biege and black. It also depends on the rest of your kitchen design if SS is a good fit. What are your thoughts on SS? If I'm going to pony up a couple thousand bucks for appliances I might as well pick the one that's popular.

Comments

• footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    They are a pain to keep clean and almost impossible to eliminate fingerprints from
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Yep, they LOOK pretty so long as nobody touches the darned things.

But, if you intend to live there, you'll cuss every time you walk past one.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    +1 to both of the posts above. I've installed many in numerous custom kitchens...they are very difficult to keep looking nice.
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    We had all black appliances and plan on keeping the same. Black is timeless. I have never really been a fan of the SS.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    They are a pain to keep clean and almost impossible to eliminate fingerprints from

This is very true. You might as well buy a case of SS cleaner after buying the appliance. Also a mop attatchment for the drill to buff the SS with the spray on cleaner (once an hour[:D]).
  • Rocky4windsRocky4winds Member Posts: 760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aside from keeping the exterior clean, do SS appliances work better or is the $$ purely cosmetic?
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the look and I have stainless,the only one that is an absolute pain in the * to keep clean is the dishwasher,I dont know why but it is next to impossible to keep the outside of the door clean
  • bayl778bayl778 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We did remodel over a year ago all in stainless. Still looks new. The finger prints wipe of easily.
  • we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharpshooter039
    I like the look and I have stainless,the only one that is an absolute pain in the * to keep clean is the dishwasher,I dont know why but it is next to impossible to keep the outside of the door clean

I agree. We remodeled this past Dec. and used stainless appliances which we like. Our refrig. is an Amana Gold that has a new stainless finish that resists alot of the fingerprints. And it actually does work. I think they call it sateen. We bought at Lowes.
  • Tile KingTile King Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    who cares whats popular. go with your taste and room decor.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have all stainless and prints are not a concern.
    They don't show up on what I have,......plus I use the handles instead of placing my hands all over the appliances.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder IMHO, but I love mine personally.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All 3 of my stores have stainless laundry equip. Not a big deal to keep clean if you wipe them down daily in my case or once in a while for homeowners using a quality stainless steel cleaner like Weiman, or Zep.
    by the way after 4 back surgeries 2 rods and wire mesh holding my spine together, I wipe down 176 machines daily. Can post pic of machines and or back LOL
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laundry-pro
    All 3 of my stores have stainless laundry equip. Not a big deal to keep clean if you wipe them down daily in my case or once in a while for homeowners using a quality stainless steel cleaner like Weiman, or Zep.
    by the way after 4 back surgeries 2 rods and wire mesh holding my spine together, I wipe down 176 machines daily. Can post pic of machines and or back LOL

See what you get for marrying a Vietnamese?
    She's wearing you out![8D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner